Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Exhausts: 3 piece Vs. 2 piece

Post by Sidney'61 »

Is there really any difference between a 2 piece and 3 piece exhaust? (other than the obvious :roll: ).
Bull motifs is 3-piece and ESMs is 2
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Smaller parcel - easier to collect/or send ?
ImageImage
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

The more expensive one from both suppliers is made in the UK by GS Exhausts and as far as I can tell is pretty much identical apart from the number of pieces. Bull Motif told me theirs is in 3 pieces is because it makes them cheaper to post and they are easier to fit. I bought the 2 piece one from ESM and didn't have any trouble fitting it, and it was one less joint to make. Getting the old 1 piece out from over the axle was awkward though - I gave up after struggling for ten minutes and cut it in the middle with a hacksaw.

I also have the cheap (Chinese?) 2-piece stainless one on my other car and it sounds a fair bit noisier than the expensive one (particularly around 60-65MPH the silencer seems to resonate badly), plus it has gone a bit rusty (indicates a low grade of stainless). given a choice I'd buy the more expensive one every time, but I was given this one for free! :D
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

The shorter the pipe you connect to the manifold the easier it is to get a good joint. I have a large bore system on Albert and getting the orbital manifold joint right was a *****y nightmare. He has 3-2-1 now and it was a doddle to fit and is quieter!
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Onne

Post by Onne »

I've got a mild steel on the 55, took me all of half an hour to fit, with the rear shackle of the leaf spring removed.

And its a perfect fit, it exits exactly in the middle of the hole in the engine bay. Unlike the stainless one.
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Onne wrote:I've got a mild steel on the 55, took me all of half an hour to fit, with the rear shackle of the leaf spring removed.
And its a perfect fit, it exits exactly in the middle of the hole in the engine bay. Unlike the stainless one.
Both my stainless ones fit OK. The mild steel one that was on Fenchurch when I got her used to rattle against the side of the engine bay hole.

Is it supposed to be possible to get a one-piece exhaust in and out without removing a handbrake cable and partially dismantling the suspension? I couldn't see how... :-?
ImageImage
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

1 piece system fits fine, but you have to jack up the body to create space at the axle area.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Ah right, I had the back end up on a set of tall ramps which probably made matters worse.
ImageImage
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

plastic_orange wrote:1 piece system fits fine, but you have to jack up the body to create space at the axle area.

Pete
Agreed! Just removed by jacking on the front nearside spring hanger, but has to be pretty high! front nearside wheel also elevated, so quite a lift! THe system twists on its side and goes forward into the front wheel arch to clear the axle, then drops off to the rear. I persevered as I knew someone had put it on without major work!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I gave up after struggling for ten minutes and cut it in the middle with a hacksaw.
quitter! ;-)
Is it supposed to be possible to get a one-piece exhaust in and out without removing a handbrake cable and partially dismantling the suspension?
yes and no.
If they are made to the original design, then no dismantling is needed.

The one's I've bought in the last 10 years however have been a variety of shapes and sizes - including approx 3" variation in length. I only know about the length because I fitted one in a eurobox with the hatch just shutting, and 3 years later I collected one in the same Eurobox and it was 3" too long to close the hatch!
The last but one single-piece exhaust I fitted was a ###er to fit even with one shackle removed! I still had to fight with the front end to get it past the lower suspension arm - let alone get it into the engine bay :(
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(