Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

grease

Post by grumpygrandad »

hello my mate says he is going to fill front suspencion s with grease, i think not a good idea your thoughts please, i have a slightly thicker oil in mine which seems to help which has been sugested by others on this site.. grandad
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Grandad, I've moved this to a more appropriate forum rather than 'general discussion'. Are you talking about a Minor or other car?

Eric - 1971 Traveller
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

grease for morris 1000

Post by grumpygrandad »

LouiseM wrote:Grandad, I've moved this to a more appropriate forum rather than 'general discussion'. Are you talking about a Minor or other car?
hello and thankyou sorry yes morris 1000,
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

If he means the shock absorbers it's a lousy idea.
If he's going to grease the trunnions then no problemo.
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

grease

Post by grumpygrandad »

MarkyB wrote:If he means the shock absorbers it's a lousy idea.
If he's going to grease the trunnions then no problemo.
no i think he means shocks, grandad
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Daft idea then.
If he want rock hard shocks then gearbox oil I guess.
They weren't designed for grease and wont work properly, if at all.
Talk some sense into him.
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

MarkyB wrote:Daft idea then.
hello marky.. he doent do sence,,, grandad
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

Welcome back, Grandad!
My guess is that when he has finished stoking up steam engines, our Scottish sage will elaborate on the above comment! One thing you don't need in dampers is air in the "liquid". My guess is it will be difficult to avoid that scenario with grease, also something is likely to break if you try forcing even 00 grease(semi-fluid) through the damper holes. open the holes out and you defeat whatever the object was!

Incidently,what old beauty are you driving at the moment?
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

driving

Post by grumpygrandad »

linearaudio wrote:Welcome back, Grandad!
My guess is that when he has finished stoking up steam engines, our Scottish sage will elaborate on the above comment! One thing you don't need in dampers is air in the "liquid". My guess is it will be difficult to avoid that scenario with grease, also something is likely to break if you try forcing even 00 grease(semi-fluid) through the damper holes. open the holes out and you defeat whatever the object was!

Incidently,what old beauty are you driving at the moment?
well i sold the capri then a very nice rover 2.2, but didnt get on with it. so yes sold that and now have a wolseley 1500, again. im sure a certain gentleman from the highlands will throw his penorth in but i dont mind its lonly north of the borders.but respect his knowledge on motors,<br>Image<br>
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

For goodness sake keep hold of this one!! Hopefully next year I'll be sorting one for myself. Would really like a Riley, we can but dream! Been sidetracked by an 1100 project for the boys' first car this summer!
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

linearaudio wrote:For goodness sake keep hold of this one!! Hopefully next year I'll be sorting one for myself. Would really like a Riley, we can but dream! Been sidetracked by an 11 00 project for the boys' first car this summer!
helllo the 1100 lovely old car which ever model youhave rileys even better if you can find one, i find the wolseley a better car than the morris but would certanly have another morris.i know they share floor pan after that i dont know what they share,,grandad. but someone will enlighten me
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Steam engine well stoked - thanks! But today - it was 1250 bhp diesel power for me - with 8 wheel drive ! Not in 'Highlands' either!!
I would love to see how he will get this 'grease' into the dampers - but it is an ill-fated project I fear. He will find SAE40 oil from motorcycle shop will be fine - although I have used EP90 in the dampers in the past - there are some risks! Also possible to pack some little washers under the valve spring - to stiffen the damping even more.
Maybe you can tell me/us - does the W 1500 have the same rear dampers fitted as a Minor ??<br>Image<br>
ImageImage
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

grumpygrandad wrote:
MarkyB wrote:Daft idea then.
hello marky.. he doent do sence,,, grandad
Mates like that would not be allowed within a mile of my car, why do they think they know more than the engineers who designed the cars, its a wonder he didn't suggest calor gas to turn them into gas dampers ........
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

bmcecosse wrote:Steam engine well stoked - thanks! But today - it was 1250 bhp diesel power for me - with 8 wheel drive ! Not in 'Highlands' either!!
I would love to see how he will get this 'grease' into the dampers - but it is an ill-fated project I fear. He will find SAE40 oil from motorcycle shop will be fine - although I have used EP90 in the dampers in the past - there are some risks! Also possible to pack some little washers under the valve spring - to stiffen the damping even more.
Maybe you can tell me/us - does the W 1500 have the same rear dampers fitted as a Minor ??<br>Image<br>
hello thats the answer that i thought you would give ,, answer to rear dampers is yes the same as morris, and just as useless. the suspencion set up does spoil a very good car as it does the morris..grandad
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Thanks GD. Actively looking for larger rear dampers which can be adadpted to the rear suspension. I believe the fronts are adequate (with good oil) - but the rears are a bit on the small side. Your W 1500 does have larger/different front dampers to the Minor - and will respond to more viscous oil (or even just an oil change!) nicely.
ImageImage
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

bmcecosse wrote:Thanks GD. Actively looking for larger rear dampers which can be adadpted to the rear suspension. I believe the fronts are adequate (with good oil) - but the rears are a bit on the small side. Your W 1500 does have larger/different front dampers to the Minor - and will respond to more viscous oil (or even just an oil change!) nicely.
YES YOU ARE RIGHT but they look the same but as you say they may be bigger on 1500 so i am told. no grease in suspecion today he has a chest infection,
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

shocks

Post by grumpygrandad »

bmcecosse wrote:Steam engine well stoked - thanks! But today - it was 1250 bhp diesel power for me - with 8 wheel drive ! Not in 'Highlands' either!!
i have topped up from oil gun with grease niple in place of top filler stud .
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

i have topped up from oil gun with grease niple in place of top filler stud .
??
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

???????????????? :roll:
ImageImage
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

tes