also a few unaffliated groups that have formed away from the mmoc
and in my mind they are a lot better than most branches of the mmoc
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ideas to attract new young blood into the MMOC

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

regaliaqueen wrote:Well I'm a Committee member and I'm listening. :D
Good, thanks Lou. Please can you post back on this thread the committe's response to this matter. And also, can this issue be opened for debate in Minor Matters (for example asking for feedback from members)? An official recognition of the issue and effort to resolve it with the members, would go a long way.
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
marcusthemoose
Minor Fan

Post by marcusthemoose »

i don't mean to cause any offense by any of these comments, and i apologise if any of them do.

i am seventeen, and i am currently restoring a series two ready for when i pass my test. my friend has a 69 2 door he is cosmetically restoring. we are both members of this forum and the mmoc. a number of our friends are also seriously cosidering classic ownership.

one of the main reasons to own a classic is so not to conform. a rebellion against society's veiw of the younger generation, by being less rebellious ( try and work this one out) :lol:

the problem with club is the majority of members of the owners club seem to be suffiently older than us, and this has pros and cons, including a invaluable experience in keeping these cars on the road. also, some old dudes are quite cool when you get to now them! some appear quite grumpy and seem to hate change.

we are considering forming an informal run for people we know at local venues every now and then, and this would be more of a classic car club than a morris owners club.

an idea that may be worth considering would be an internal sector of the club for owners under 25 or 30? there must be a few out there, and then feedback could be given back to the commitee. the best way to find out what younger drivers want is ask them. don't believe the media image that all younger people are undesirables!
marcusthemoose
Minor Fan

Post by marcusthemoose »

also, don't worry about enticing younger members into the club- the people you want in the club will join of their own accord!
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

new_adventures_of_arthur wrote: The impression I get from the magazine is that the club is old fashioned and for fuddy-duddies.

The Morris Minor has an image that isn't me, people say "what you have a Minor". I think it is the media's perception, but to be honest sometimes the club comes across that way too sadly. Since I've been restoring mine, along with the mini, I've found the moggy is very much loved by a lot of people (my neighbours love me revving my moggy... duh.. what other car could get away with that). They remember them very fondly, but these people are getting old now, this love needs passing down if the car is to survive. Surely the committee understand that?
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

can this issue be opened for debate in Minor Matters (for example asking for feedback from members)?
The Committee ARE going to seek opinions from members, as stated in the current edition of Minor Matters. I hope Ray Newell won't mind me quoting him but it appears that some members didn't read what he said in his column:
For 2010 the Committee are committed to undertake a comprehensive review and consultation to ascertain your views on all aspects of club organisation and activity. It is seven years since we sought and published the views of the membership, and, on that occasion, we had in excess of 2,000 replies which helped formulate club priorities. With changes in technology and the current economic climate the committee feel that it is an opportune time to guage the views of the membership as we move forward into a new decade of club activity. Look out for further details in the next issue of Minor Matters and for the results which will be published later in the year.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

So are we to assume then ,that the proposals/ideas already put forward at previous AGM's on the topics of subsidised subs, a 'traders policy' and fresh ideas for the National,have not met with the committee approval, because none of them have been evident.
Its the same old, same old, I'm afraid Louise, we are told they want our input, yet seem to disregard it in the same breath, which is why we now have 3 threads on this very topic.
Being a cynic I'd say that the committee are worried about membership levels, and this is a plea for ideas, that they, are unable to muster.
I'd also be interested in the ideas from 7 years ago and which ones are now in place. Possibly one was the website and forum, which offer the ideal use of modern technology to impart ideas, have the committee embraced this by 'using' it as a useful tool for debate /conversation, I think not. :roll:

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

I don't know any more than you do Jonathon, just thought I'd let people know that opinions are going to be sought from the membership. Probably best to wait to see what the results are first rather than make assumptions. As for being worried about membership levels, it was stated at the AGM that membership has risen and it was acknowledged that the website was playing a major role in recruiting new members.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

LouiseM wrote:it was acknowledged that the website was playing a major role in recruiting new members.
You can count me as one of them. :D
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

regaliaqueen wrote:In your own post you've answered some of the reasons why the MMOC appears "older" to the uninitiated. We do have many young members with cars. They then go to Uni/get jobs which leave them little time to "play Morris Minor". Like you they go on to marry and have families. Financial constraints of young families/mortgages/jobs mean that family time is sacred and the partner doesn't necessarily want to spend their spare time driving around in a classic car with small babies in the back!

-snip-
Thank you Lou, that is exactly what I have been saying. There is no membership crisis in the Morris Minor owners club, it is simply that the demographics are shifting. And no need to do anything different to attract younger members and Minor owners, except perhaps raise the visibillity of the Minor. Once more young drivers see the sense and affordabillity in running a Minor, I'm sure we will see more younger drivers. I As i have said above there is no need to try to falsely make the Minor something it is not (Yoof, Chav modding scene, spoilers, big stereos, drag racing etc, sorry Jonothan, seems to have touched a raw nerve with you :wink: offense not intended to you or your Minor restoration and Modifying business).
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

:D :D None taken John, just fighting the corner for those who can still see a 'modern' future for the Minor. There is a place for all types obviously, but I'm afraid that the nostalgia theme is wearing a tad thin, yet I agree that the simplistic nature of the Minor can and does attract new members young and old.
Young members will join and do so, for many reasons, ie simple cars, 'nice' image and I do not see that modified cars are necessarily part of this, although the spectacular or simply different does inspire the young or old.
Louise, agreed lets wait and see what transpires. Re membership levels, it must be only the last couple of years that the membership has risen or returned to its former number , as I remember at the AGM a few years back , concern being voiced at the drop off in membership.
I'm sure too that this forum, probably more than the rest of the site, has led to recruitment through it, as it has a wealth and diversity of opinion and offers intant assistance or information resourse, its just a shame that the committee are seen to avoid it like the plague, rather than embrace the oportunity it offers to be all inclusive, and communicate with club members.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

new_adventures_of_arthur wrote: I'll give my opinion because that is what this topic is about and because I consider myself as a young member, though dont consider myself young really (I'm 27 now). I've already decided in my first year that I'm not renewing my membership as the club is just not for me, so it doesnt bother me if the club take on board what the 'yoof' are saying or not - but I think they should for their own sake. I'm past caring, but I think it's a little sad.

Then there is the forum - the moderators are so frustrating and want to wrap the forum and topics up in cotton wool. Their lack of freedom of speech is a joke. It is freedom of speech despite what their ignorance argues and the empty threats they receive or the stories of other forums apparently closing down. The moderators can bang on about how they need to do this for the sake of the forum but this is over reacting to the n'th degree. Thousands of forums by institutions with a higher profile than the MMOC allow controversial comments, but always ask to avoid strong language, and harrasment (which I agree with). It's like this forum was hosted in China.

If those at the centre of the club gave a care for the future of the club, they have to accept the fact that things change, and will have to embrace different styles of running a club. Now I can already hear the club defending themselves against my comments, and saying "well you do something then" but until I'm in a position to do so (family commitments and a newborn baby, etc) I can only offer my opinion which comes from genuine concerns about that state of the club. I've tried to give critical criticism before and it's defended like I'm attacking the reputation of Issigonis himself.

I actually think the MMOC is a disappointment to the Morris Minor.
so it doesnt bother me if the club take on board what the 'yoof' are saying or not - but I think they should for their own sake. I'm past caring, but I think it's a little sad.

Well that's not the way the Moderators think as we want the input to try and make things more appealing to all.

Then there is the forum - the moderators are so frustrating and want to wrap the forum and topics up in cotton wool. Their lack of freedom of speech is a joke. It is freedom of speech despite what their ignorance argues and the empty threats they receive or the stories of other forums apparently closing down.

Well you agreed to the T & C's when you came onto the board and now you are complaining about them, as Moderators we have to work to even tighter guidelines than posters.
To call the Moderators ignorant just shows your lack of knowledge probably from being a newer board member, we have never made empty threats about other forums closing down although a few have been mentioned in the past that were closed down because of problems.
Its also true that a while ago we were also under threat of closure due to some comments that had been made on the board and the committee asked the moderating team to apply the T & C's as they had no wish to be forced to close the board down rather than be taken to court.
We are all for freedom of speech inspite of what you think and please quote some examples of where you think we have gone overboard, as the facts you have stated are missinformed to say the least.

To be honest though, I think this whole conversation is pointless. As I doubt any of the ideas offered here will be taken up by the committee. I think there's more chance of an unofficial owners group doing more to attract younger owners that the mmoc.

Well that has existed for some time and there hasnt been anything forthcoming so far.

an idea that may be worth considering would be an internal sector of the club for owners under 25 or 30? there must be a few out there, and then feedback could be given back to the commitee. the best way to find out what younger drivers want is ask them. don't believe the media image that all younger people are undesirables!
The only drawback with this idea Marcus is that you are trying to subdivide the club into age groups and I know there are quite a few of us oldies that are young at heart and like to be included in all agegroups.

On a personal note I find it frustrating when posters hide their names and dont even have a signature with a name in it, I know its all down to personal choice and you dont have to but why hide who you are, when all said and done we are all Moggie enthusiasts and I have nothing to hide from anyone and I like to think I am fully approachable at all times, and those that have met me at rally's and meetings have found that I am a Moggie enthusiast without an axe to grind and just want everyone to get on for the good of the cars, I know this is expecting a lot and expect to get some stick for saying it.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i would hate to see the club sub dividede into age groups
i am 58 and i am also young at heart
i like all classes of moggies
but agreed i dont enjoy the main mmoc rally anymore, as it does not hold a lot of interest for me anymore, perhaps one day ...........

:D :D :D
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

Kevin,

I would respond to your comments, but no matter how valid my points, you would disagree with me.

I cant be bothered any more.

And regarding names, I dont hide my real name, it's just a pseudonym - it's nothing new. My Grandad used to use one for the back of his bingo card. I've signed my name on many threads of this forum before.

But I wont sign it here just to keep you happy.
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I'm by no means "young blood" but I'm finding the references to yoof a bit offensive.
Can't be bothered to see who started it, and I'm not having a go at them, but it does suggest a very dismissive feeling about younger members.

What the committee has said is welcome if action comes of it but it has the sound of government, local and national saying "we want to hear what you think" to placate us into thinking action will be taken when all they want to do is shut us up and do what they planned.
Cynical? moi?
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

What you've got to ask yourself is what do people, young or old, get from being a member of the club?
Seriously what do you get? I was a member for 10 years until last November, I got nothing from the club in that time. The magazine was usually awful and can live without it. The only reason I kept it up was that on my insurance policy (not the club recomended company) I was stated as being a member of a car club, I asked if this really made any difference and they said no so I canceled it.
Instead of asking the current members what they want to see happen to the club, maybe they should ask the non-members what would make them part with hard earned money and join, or re-join.
cheers, Daniel
[img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/becky%20web%20pics/20052.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/archie/10107.jpg[/img]
The pulling power of a Turbo Diesel! The voices may not be real, but they have good ideas.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

MarkyB, sorry if you have taken offence at the use of 'yoof'. Whilst I appologise, 'yoof' is seen in my social circle as a friendly, fun description of young people, including my son, who has no issue with it at all, often makes him chuckle :D
I feel another poll coming on Robins re asking the visitors (non members) what they would want from the MMOC. I will not volunteer to doing this as I've just mucked up my current poll :oops: :o

ratrodmog
Minor Fan

Post by ratrodmog »

Guys, we all need to take a step back and chill out. This is becoming a very personal thread and I personally don't feel anyone should be attacking the Moderators as they do a good job with keeping the website up and running. The thread seems to have turned from a friendly discussion into an arguement and we are all friend on here :D. I'm sure we can all sort out what needs to be done but not by arguing with each other :roll: :( .
Bash's Speed Shop
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

jonathon wrote: asking the visitors (non members) what they would want from the MMOC.
That's interesting Jonathon, I also read Robins post with interest.

Why would someone join a club (any club):
- To obtain something a non member wouldn't be able to obtain.
- To do something a non member wouldn't be able to do.
- To get preferential treatment for something.
- To get preferential rates for something.
- To belong to a community with a similar interest.
- To give something back and share, personal strengths such as, knowledge and practical skills.

There are hidden things the MMOC do that all non members benefit from, for example to availability of parts. I guess if the MMOC helped commission rare not very wildly used parts, why should non members benefit. You don't have to be a member to buy parts off the MMOC spares man.

At the same time though, you don't want to create a closed shop, like "your name's not down, you're not coming in" scenario.

I guess as well as trying to get younger members on board the issue of former members is just as important. I'm using Robin as an example (sorry Robin nothing personal), but why should Robin get the same benefits as me, a fully paid up member.
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

but what do members get that robins does not , a magazine :D