Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
aupickup
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ideas to attract new young blood into the MMOC

Post by aupickup »

not sure if this is in the right thread or not
any way my insurance is up for renewal in a month so i thought i would check online
i am at the moment with footman james

i got insurance quote for £68.00 ( not footman james )
no difference for being a club member or not
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

so maybe the club should be looking at enticing back some of the members that have left
it would seem the only benefit i would get is a magazine, that is so outdated in its format, more like reading a mag from the 60`s and a national rally that is on par with a low key non professional fete

non members can get parts normally through ebay i might add, and also from bryan if needed, ok the hard to get parts for the early mm`s but so many of us have the later models anyway so parts are not so much of a problem

tech advice can be got from here and the other minor sites around, open to all the moggy owners
DanRodd
Minor Fan

Post by DanRodd »

you do not need to be a member of the minor club to own and use a morris minor,so the club has to ask itself what can it do to make being a member a vital part of owning one?

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

To add some balance though, membership is increasing. However, as with any car owners club, there will always be some that have no desire to join or feel that a club has nothing to offer them (don't forget that some traders offer additional discounts to club members too). No large organisation is going to appeal to everyone. That's just a fact of life. Members leave for a variety of reasons - some because they are unhappy with what the club has to offer, others because of financial restraints, others because they no longer own a Minor etc etc.

The magazine has changed a great deal over the past few years (for the better in my view) and has recently been voted Classic & Sports Car club magazine of the year by a panel of journalists. Although the content may not appeal to every member it is clearly better than some car club magazines that are out there. A new editor has just taken over so why not send her your suggestions if you are not happy with the content? The magazine relies on members to submit articles so if people aren't submitting them then that will obviously have a knock on effect on the contents.

One thing that does seem to get overlooked here is that without the Club this forum would not exist. It is funded by members subscriptions and run by members who give up their own time to do so. It is open to both members and non-members alike to provide advice and assistance to all Minor owners, provides a way for Minor owners to converse with like minded people and provides a wealth of useful information which allows owners to continue to keep their cars on the road.

Yes, improvements could be made to the National Rally, and suggestions have been made here, but as with everything whilst some members want change others do not. Don't forget that only a relatively small percentage of members use this forum and that a balance has to be struck with regards to trying to please the majority of members. I think we sometimes forget that members here are a pretty small voice in a large organisation.

With regards to ages of members, whilst some branches do have a majority of more mature members if ‘younger’ people say that they won’t bother joining because they will be the youngest one there how is the situation ever going to change? Change won’t happen overnight, but it won’t happen of it’s own accord either.

The purpose of the survey which will be announced in the next issue of Minor Matters is to give ALL members an opportunity to put forward their views. There have been several negative comments here stating that the views will be ignored but lets wait and see what the results are first before dismissing it. I doubt that it will be possible for every idea from individual members to be acted on but it is all too easy to post on here and say "because my idea wasn't acted on it means that the Committee don't listen and ignore what members say". Sweeping generalisations aren't very helpful - there needs to be an element of balance. I can only suggest that every member who wants to put forward their view takes the time to complete the survey.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

this is not the only website for morris minor owners though

and one day the internet will be the voice of clubs
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

In the defence of balance again, here are a few qoutes from previous threads which hold exactly the same views that we are discussing now.
Some quotes clearly indicate the fact that membership is falling, so why the argument to the contrary ?
So if the MMOC listen, especially to Bill a former committee member, why are we here again, its the same old same old...... This is why people are somewhat cynical about the MMOC's response to a 'new' questionaire.
We are a minority of members on this forum, but some posters on here are also branch members or even committee members so the messages or thoughts of those folk should realistically be making their way to the committee via the approved methods of communication, and not simply be lost as old posts and ideas..
From the number of regular posters on this forum I'd say that we out number those members supposedly representing the mass of the club at the AGM, so if like minded folk turned up at the AGM we may well have some effect.
I do not argue that the MMOC is all bad, the core services are excellent as they should be, and you do not become 'club of the year' for no reason, this being particulary impressive due to the almost total reliance of dedicated volunteers. But we cannot deny that there are several shortcomings, and its fair and reasonable that these are openly discussed /debated on this forum, at branch meetings and the AGM.
The key suggestions being made here are done to, improve, the club further and not alienate parts of it or simply complaining for the sake of it. After all its the easy way out if you do not agree with a club direction to just leave, so I feel that everyone expressing concerns on here are doing so for the benefit of the club and fellow members rather than simply mischief making

Postby mike.perry » Wed Dec 03 2008 6:10 pm
I completely disagree with the proposal. Whilst some people may disagree with certain policies of the club nothing is going to be solved by forming a lot of breakaway clubs. You are certainly not going to influence the MMOC's policies from outside the organisation.
A large club will also have much more influence in the classic car world and with the policy making departments of government.
Traders will also be much more willing to stock and supply spares when there is a club with thousands of members all keen to keep their cars in good roadworthy condition.
The MMOC is already noticing the effects of an ageing and falling membership and to that end Ray Newell made a speech advocating closer links with other clubs.
I could go on but my tea is ready and I have a branch meeting to go to this evening.

Postby Judge » Wed Dec 03 2008 6:26 pm
I am not getting involved in the 'new club' discussion, but falling membership was a topic of a number of committee meetings over a considerable period of time, and to that end I made a number of suggestions to hopefully reverse the trend. Unfortunately only now are some of those suggestions apparently being given consideration.

Postby LouiseM » Fri Dec 05 2008 12:13 am

I have owned Minors for over 20 years and although aged 40 something I consider myself as a 'younger owner' as at many of the Minor events and car shows that I go to I'm young in comparison to other Minor owners there. I drive my Minor as often as I can and attend rallies and car shows when I get the time but am currently in a job where I work an average of 60 hours a week and am often away from home for weeks at a time. I'ts all very well to tell people to do something but not every member is in a position to do so. This shouldn't make their views and suggestions any less important. I've been a member of the club for years and don't think that it's unreasonable for the club to represent, and take on board, the views of it's members. It needs to move with the times if it's going to survive.

Postby Judge » Fri Dec 05 2008 9:50 am
As requested, the following are just a few of my ideas, most of which have been suggested here and to the committee previously, to deal with a variety of issues from attracting new members, retaining existing members, and also increasing revenue for the Club.

In all cases I would personally be happy to help with there implementation wherever possible.

1. Make use of every opportunity to obtain a wider audience of potential members.
2. Encourage Morris Minor owners to use their cars and promote the club by both example and talking to members of the public whenever possible.
3. Expand, regularly update, and maintain the Club Website. Encourage potential members to join by posting ‘tasters’ in the public area and the full articles etc within the Members Only area.
4. Create an online version of Minor Matters.
5. Combine as many MMOC events as possible with well established shows etc and actively seek new members there.
6. Join up with other Marques, and arrange combined shows.
7. Encourage better attendance of solely Minor rallies, by seeking suggestions from the membership via Minor Matters, and non members via the website etc, and if feasible act on them.
8. Utilise other Morris Minor publications, such as Minor Monthly to reach non MMOC members.
9. Improve PR aspects by keeping Minor enthusiasts updated on Club promotional events, and also encouraging them to take a more active role themselves in approaching the various forms of media with Minor related items.
10. Invite younger members to take an active role at MMOC events.
11. Have practical demonstrations, such as what to look for when buying a Morris Minor, simple maintenance etc, at rallies.
12. Invite younger members to suggest a calendar that might attract the younger generation.
13. Post MMOC Committee Meeting Minutes in the Members Area of the website.
14. In a similar fashion to Regalia, advertise Club spares online. This would also act as an auditing facility for the Club.
15. Invite members to suggest a theme for the Clubs stand at the NEC, and invite the winners to take part.
16. Add a questions & answers section to the Members Area, whereby any questions posted there could be:
17. Allow traders/manufacturers to advertise their Morris Minor related products on the site. It should be clearly stated in the T&C’s that their advertisements are in no way intended to suggest Club recommendation.

18. Ballot all MMOC members via Minor Matters on such things as National Committee Members, Club awards, etc.

19. As a previous Moderator on the Club website, I am inclined to agree that the rules in general are there for the protection of all concerned. My only suggestion would be to allow users to suggest both Club and Website improvements and additions, providing that these are of a positive nature.

Bill

1. Acknowledged by an elected Club representative.
2. Discussed at committee, or to speed up the process, discussed by committee members via email.
3. An agreed response posted by the elected representative within the Members Area.
Last edited by jonathon on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well only time will tell if any suggestions are taken on board and acted upon

in the meantime this will jsut keep being bantered about the website to no avail :( :(
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

Id be interested to know what the new membership figures are? and also the number of members who have also left?
there mite be 28 new members in the last year for example, but if theres 27 that have left the club, yes membership has risen, but its alo fallen.

As dennis says, time will tell.

Its a lot of money just to get 6 uninteresting magazines a year you dont read!
cheers, Daniel
[img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/becky%20web%20pics/20052.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/archie/10107.jpg[/img]
The pulling power of a Turbo Diesel! The voices may not be real, but they have good ideas.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

and i can do without the magazine :D :D
bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

But you're quite happy to use the website, which is paid for from club member' subscriptions, and kept running by volunteer club members?

Jon Rocke
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

its an open forum for members and non members
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

Hats off to JLH for his post.

I'll respond to a survey when it comes, but my ultimate response will be voting with my feet.
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

bpr81a wrote:But you're quite happy to use the website, which is paid for from club member' subscriptions, and kept running by volunteer club members?

And your point is ???

bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

Seemed a straightforward enough question, which aupickup answered.

Jon Rocke
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Just wondered why there was a need to mention who pays and the volunteers contribution, seemed a loaded question, but if you are happy with Dennis's answer then great. :D

bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

You made no comment when Louise mentioned it earlier in the thread

Jon Rocke
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Correct, Louise made a statement, whilst you asked a question, which by the inclusion of 'telling' Dennis who payed for it and who work on it as volunteers, implied that you were creating mischieve, or employing a degree of entrapment. Just an observation which seems to apply to a few moderations too, which tend to give the impression of being written from a rather superior viewpoint.
I would have prefered to answer your post via PM or email, but you choose not to answer them, don't you. :roll: :D

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

OK all if you can tell me what you find bad or good about Minor Matters I will bring it up at the forthcoming liason meeting.
If you can give your replies over the next 10 day's I will then collate them and let you know what I will bring up at the meeting with your majority (unanimous would be good but that's expecting a lot) agreement of course :D
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

bad points imho

difficukt to read some pages
not enough general articles
would be good to have a series on modifications, from engines through suspension and brakes, done as a bi month article
also the same for spraying, welding
also some advoice on things like retrimming, uphosterly

more in depth tech like changing head gaskets, tuning carbs

you know the sort of things that keep moggs on the run

we can get it from here, but those without internet ( is there anyone left )

good points, sorry cant think of any

but this is just my opinion only
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

A totally different style of writing.

My dad gave me a pile of old practical classics mags (from 93) which when you compare with the same magazine today, their writing style has changed a lot. It seems they have moved with the times and so should Minor Matters.

But, to be honest, I'd just sack it off, and offer it as an added extra of membership. The website should be the main focus for attention I think. This would encourage more people to join in on the forum, and would cut down a hell of a lot of costs.

Phil
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink: