Welcome to the Series MM register section!

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
fweddy
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by fweddy »

the rear units on Phoebe have been fitted with the later orange/red light units which will be going shortly also
Where will they be going? - are you interested in selling them if in good cond?
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

When this set comes off I will have 2 pairs, long way to post them tho :P

Lee
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

long way to post them tho
True but we stopped saloon production in 62 so never had any of those tail lights here! I'd be interested in two sets at the right price, even sent surface would be ok. How heavy would they be?
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

I'll see what they weigh, figure out what the postage will be and let you know Fweddy.

Lee
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

I'll see what they weigh, figure out what the postage will be and let you know Fweddy.
:lol:
Cam

Post by Cam »

Scottishmoggy wrote:RE: the front ones I am thinking of replacing the side lights with indicators but keeping the lense and having an orange bulb...
at the rear on the boot there are a couple of reflectors and I'm thinking of replacing these with indicators...Well I'm not planning to do the work...rather my friendly garage...

Any thoughts on if this would be ok...or would it offend too many MM owners....
~ Chris and Duncan 1952
To do the front, you will have to change over from the L489 lamp

to the L488 lamp

With regard to the rear, well it's your car and you can do as you wish. Some purists might not like some additions, but if they are discrete then there should be no problem. But it's your car and not theirs!!
Onne

Post by Onne »

Was the L488 lamp also in amber? or orange? I want to replace my orange ones with white ones, what should I use again on a 1955 series II?

and yes I know Cam, this is the MM section.... its just an interesting thread
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Regarding the L488 / L489 - you can use either lens - but you'll need the bigger bulbholder of the L489 to take a 20W indicator bulb (and a bit of fiddling unless you can get the single filament version instead of the twin filament one)
Onne

Post by Onne »

maybe i'll just use the lamp thats in it now. White indicators are fine for MOT here. at the front that is.
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
Scottishmoggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Scottishmoggy »

Cam wrote:
Scottishmoggy and Cam wrote:Scottishmoggy wrote RE: the front ones I am thinking of replacing the side lights with indicators but keeping the lens and having an orange bulb...
at the rear on the boot there are a couple of reflectors and I'm thinking of replacing these with indicators...Well I'm not planning to do the work...rather my friendly garage.../quote]

and then Cam wrote -
To do the front, you will have to change over from the L489 lamp
to the L488 lamp

With regard to the rear, well it's your car and you can do as you wish. Some purists might not like some additions, but if they are discrete then there should be no problem. But it's your car and not theirs!!

Thanks Cam for the advice...at the rear I am having some brackets made to hang the indictors from the bumper...that way I'm not making any more holes in the metal...
Cheers for all of your advice,

~Chris and Duncan 1952 :lol:
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

indicators

Post by mike.perry »

Just seen your bit on fitting indicators. The most popular option is to use traveller / van rear indicators and hang them on brackets from the bumper mounting irons front and rear underneath the bumpers. discreet but effective. Can be wired to the orignal switch with the trafficators by using a flasher unit each side.
Rear valance - Same as Minor 1000, available in steel (expensive) or fibreglass (cheap).
chunder

Re: Welcome to the Series MM register section!

Post by chunder »

hi i am glad to see that the old mm is getting the recognition it deserves. and i am glad you are pushing to get the parts re manufactured for them as well. i live in australia and i am currently restoring a mm series lowlight i am unsure of the year 49 or 50 perhaps i will collect the information and add it to your register.
cheers andy
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I look forward to hearing from you
[sig]3580[/sig]
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Hi Mike,

I am pleased to have rejoined the MM Owners Club. I have a 1952 MM which has been in the family all it's life and was originally purchased by my grandfather. It was last in the road in about 1996, but the original SV engine suffered from hairline cracks between the exhaust valve seats and because of this I need to replace with another engine.

I hope to get the car on the road again for my son's wedding in May next year, so am anxious to source replacement engine parts suitable to put EGV 558 back on the road again.

If anyone can give me a lead to find such a replacement engine I would be extremely grateful.

Regards
Mike F
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Hi Mike,
Cracks on the face of the block are not uncommon, "Tuning Side Valve Fords" says ignore them. It probably depends on whether the valves have inserts or the cracks are affecting the engine. It may be possible to repair the block or there may be some spare engines around. Try the MMOC, they had a couple some time ago.
Please send me the details of your car, it is not on my records
[sig]3580[/sig]
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

HI Mike

Thanks for the response.

When the can was last running it would lose a lot of water through the exhaust valves so I considered it 'to far gone'. It is difficult to see how far the cracks penetrate into the block. Have you seen a successful repair by putting valve seats into the exhaust ports?

I will send vehicle details under separate cover.

Thanks again for your comments>

Regards
Mike
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Just picked up my first MM. A 49 in the 8000 something chassis range. My last Moggy was a 58 1000. Tried to email details to the register but the email was returned?

Rod
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

PM Cam :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

The MMOC Series MM Website has been updated and a new register form is available! If you own a Series MM please fill in the form and sent it to Richard or myself and we can update the register. Also if you would like to send some pictures of your MM to be included in the website.

http://seriesmm.mmoc.org.uk/

Thanks

David

Too many Minors so little time.....
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Where have all those past posters gone, haven’t heard a squeak from them for years. Minor, what Minor? :D