Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Jefftav
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ideas to attract new young blood into the MMOC

Post by Jefftav »

Generally I don't think Minor Matters is too bad but it seems to take 5mins max to read and seems to place a huge financial burden on the club and volunteers time putting it together - I just wonder if it is needed? This type of information could be distributed on the website or for those without access to internet they could have a paper copy sent to them.

This edition I thought the article on the AA van was OK but would have liked more on the restoration (pnotos especially) but thats just my opinion. The article on the last MM off the line seemed to ask more questions that it gave answers to and some of the photos - well less said.

From a technical perspective what about engine rebuilds with photos or replacing rotten steel with proper repar panels and showing us the correct welding/repair techniques. I think the basic servicing type stuff is fine too and should continue in some form and for goodness sake if you phone the technical guy (Rob) leave your name and phone number everytime as he doesn't hang onto this information - not a critism of Rob just I think it says this in almost evey MM.

Classified ads hardly seem worth it and branch news is OK but some is just a repeat.

Struggling to find much more to say about the Minor Matters except due respect to those who do put it together and provide articles.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Just to comment on a few recent points.
I see what you mean about the changes to Practical Classics over the last decade, but heres a big difference here. MM comprises largely of articles sent in by members, and not written by professional journalists, so its very much restricted to what people submit. As editor of another club magazine, I'm very much waiting to see what turns up for the next issue, and if not enough, produce something or cajole someone else into producing something.
The comment thats always trotted out on these occaisions, is if you don't like what you see, write something yourself. With the thousands of members the MMOC shouldnt be short of contributions and ideas for the mag.

The AA van article, yes it could have benefitted from before and during photos. So could many articles in the general classic car magazines. Seems easy enough for the reporter to take a load of nice artistic shots onthe day, but its down to the owner to supply the rusty piles of bits photos ideally of a suitable qualitiy for printing.

Personally, I'd like to see more in depth technical articles, but just because we all know the basics dosn't mean everyone does, so theres still a need for servicing, changing m/cyl type features.
More indepth rebuild article, continued in next issue sort of thing like PC do would probably work well.

Adverts, Pictures would be good, and surely not impossible given that its all colour these days. Problem really is the lead time ona bimonthly mag, whereas if you really want to sell your car theres the monthly and weekly publications, and even eBay if you wish and can't wait... There used to be many more ads in MM but prob not the most efficient way of advertising these days.

Re the debate about online mag v paper edition. Its a common debate in many clubs these days. Yes there are still plenty of folk who don't do the interweb thing, though probably in minority now. However I'd still vote for a paper magazine. Its the convenience of being able to read it where and when I choose - I spend enough time stuck in front of a computer screen anyway and a mag to read when slumped on the settee when the missus is watching Holby /or having a brew at work etc is most appreciated!
A similar sized car club with a similar magazine have just had a survey and the resounding conclusion is that the mag should continue in its current form. It willbe interesting to see what the MMOC survey says, though offering the survey only on the website seems very strange and will possibly skew replys in favour of internet services! Members without internet can hardly respond to the survey can they!!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

The survey isn't only online. As it says in Minor Matters, forms were sent out with Minor Matters to a sample of users (all those due for renewal this month) and paper forms are available on request from the Club Office if members want them.

Jon Rocke
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

So it does, (read it thoroughly now!) but how many will bother to phone up and request a form?
I did wonder at the question 'do you have internet access?' yes / no, which looks a little odd on an online survey.... Presumably its just the same questions as the paper one.
Last edited by IaininTenbury on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

Yes, its a copy of the paper one. There was enough work involved without rewriting it as well.

Jon Rocke
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I can imagine. It wasn't meant as critisism. I was tempted to answer no, but restrained myself and did it right! :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

IaininTenbury wrote: The comment thats always trotted out on these occaisions, is if you don't like what you see, write something yourself. With the thousands of members the MMOC shouldnt be short of contributions and ideas for the mag.

Seems easy enough for the reporter to take a load of nice artistic shots onthe day, but its down to the owner to supply the rusty piles of bits photos ideally of a suitable qualitiy for printing.

Personally, I'd like to see more in depth technical articles, but just because we all know the basics dosn't mean everyone does, so theres still a need for servicing, changing m/cyl type features.
More indepth rebuild article, continued in next issue sort of thing like PC do would probably work well.

Adverts, Pictures would be good, and surely not impossible given that its all colour these days. Problem really is the lead time ona bimonthly mag, whereas if you really want to sell your car theres the monthly and weekly publications, and even eBay if you wish and can't wait... There used to be many more ads in MM but prob not the most efficient way of advertising these days.
Some good points there Ian, the tough one to resolve (and I think you already know the answer) is getting more articles from the membership, and its the same all over as at our Branch we have around 50 members and a monthly newsletter and you can guess that its the same 2 or 3 that submit virtually all the items and articles inspite of the please can you give us some more items for the newsletter (grovel grovel begging letter) we cant even get them to submit write ups of events they have been to.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

bpr81a wrote:The survey isn't only online. As it says in Minor Matters, forms were sent out with Minor Matters to a sample of users (all those due for renewal this month) and paper forms are available on request from the Club Office if members want them.
I'm confused here Jon. I have received a questionaire as my membership is up for renewal. On line participation is catered for, but why do the rest of the members have to apply for a form. Surely it was possible to put a copy in all of the members magazines, thus making sure that everyone has the chance to participate.(Similar to the Moss saturation policy) especially as the cut off is May when the next mag id due. Or have I got this wrong ?? :roll: :-?

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Kevin wrote: Some good points there Ian, the tough one to resolve (and I think you already know the answer) is getting more articles from the membership, and its the same all over as at our Branch we have around 50 members and a monthly newsletter and you can guess that its the same 2 or 3 that submit virtually all the items and articles inspite of the please can you give us some more items for the newsletter (grovel grovel begging letter) we cant even get them to submit write ups of events they have been to.
Yes, same in the two branches I'm in, and the other three car clubs. If only half the membership did a page on me and my car, how I came by it, restored it, use it etc it'd keep the mag going for years... Ok that might not be the most interesting topic after a while but you see the point no doubt.
Incidentally I was lucky with the last branch mag with contributions from 6 different people - amost refreshing and welcome change.
It was the point I was trying to make to those who were comparing MMatters with general large circulation magazines, (which really shows how good MMatters is when it can be compared in this way), is that the mag does depend on the average member writing something for it.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

When Jon Betts was editor of Minor Monthly he would often chase articles or phone around to see what was going on, ie project cars, developments etc. So sometimes its essential for the editor to be more pro active and stimulate editorial and get out of the office to where its all happening, ie,in yours and my garage.

new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

Despite my criticisms of the magazine, if anything is to change, it does rely a great deal on the members to do their bit (myself included).

The obvious things that everyone can do are the "why I like morris minors", "how I came to get mine", "restoration of mine" but like Ian says, some of these could get a bit boring over time.

I personally would be happy to contribute to the magazine, I just dont have anything interesting or worthy at present. When mine is restored I plan to do all sorts which is why I called it "new adventures of arthur" (the first adventure being the restoration) but I am ashamed to say I can think of anything I could offer.

Or perhaps everyone (including me) can offer something, they just dont realise it. Maybe some good ideas on different articles that members can submit.

Customising scene?
Minors as modern utility vehicles (plumbers, etc)?
issue-by-issue articles (like a restoration step by step)?
racing / rallies (not just the park in a field type)?
Challenges - trying to salvage the most terminal of a basket case (again, possibly week/by/week thing). Or see how cheap a roadworthy minor can be picked up for? Or a guide to tracing the history of your car (if it is possible - I dunno)

ok, ok, nothing exactly radical here I know - these are just off the top of my head, so I'm not holding them up as the saviour of MM :wink:

Or maybe the answer, is saving a bit of money on the mag (use a poorer quality of paper - just something not as thick and glossy as current) and offer the saving onto members who contribute to the magazine. Even offer a years free membership to non-members who contribute. If more people start contributing, at least it gives the editor more choice to sort the wheat from the chaff.
MrGarrison wrote:There's no such thing as a stupid idea. Just stupid people.
:lol:
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

I've had 3 articles published previously in Minor Matters but not for a few years as a change of job, and long periods spent away from home, don't leave me with a lot of spare time. However, I have a rare day off today due to taking my Minor for it's MOT (passed with no advisories :D ) so I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon writing an article. I have the beginning of an idea and it strikes me that the magazine would benefit from a touch of humour :wink:

By the way, Nicola, the new Minor Matters editor, will be attending the branch liaison meeting later this month so ideas & suggestions relating to the magazine will be forwarded.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Can anyone explain why every copy of MM did not contain a review document. Seems a strange policy which can only mean that not all members will take part in the survey, as those not registering online or due to renew membership, will have to apply for a document. Hardly good policy in reducing waste paper and carbon footprint, unless you phone Derby. Just seems to be a missed opportunity, and rather a bizarre way of organising a review dependant on members views. :o :roll:

bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

LouiseM wrote: so I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon writing an article.
I look forward to reading it :D

Jon Rocke
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Well I've sent it off so we'll have to see if it gets published :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Faceplant
Minor Fan

Post by Faceplant »

i've only had 1 copy so far, so its hard to say whats wrong.

what i would like to see however is reviews on the different modifications available, including breaks, suspension, engines, interiors etc. Basically reviews of the stuff that makes moggs more comfortable, safe and fun to drive. I do have appreciation for origional spec cars, simple mods can really help (disc breakes).

i also like arthurs idea of step by step restoration
more than a minor to me
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well I have taken the flood of points about Minor Matters on board and will be taking them to the next liason meeting.
As a matter of interest since I asked for comment's apart from moderator's only 4 members and 2 non members offered up ideas so most of the posters must be reasonably happy with Minor Matters as it stands, and no-one offered to do an article showing how they thought it should be done.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I sent my reply back in the post. I did not renew my membership this year.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

Kevin wrote:Well I have taken the flood of points about Minor Matters on board and will be taking them to the next liason meeting.
As a matter of interest since I asked for comment's apart from moderator's only 4 members and 2 non members offered up ideas so most of the posters must be reasonably happy with Minor Matters as it stands, and no-one offered to do an article showing how they thought it should be done.
I can see your point, but I wouldnt make this assumption. Just because someone doesnt offer suggestions, it doesnt mean they're happy. I think that people SHOULD offer suggestions, but many people wont - which is part of the problem.
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
Faceplant
Minor Fan

Post by Faceplant »

track day and mod meet sounds good to me.

Also has everyone got the latest mmoc magazine? i didnt get mine yet?
more than a minor to me