Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TimM
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

From VW Beetle to a Morris

Post by TimM »

Hi

I've been a keen fan of air-cooled VW's but after much nashing of teeth I'm toying with the idea of selling my collection of Beetles and campers and having a Morris Minor to use as a daily drive. I wondered what you thought of the idea? My main reason to to rationalise my life a bit better but also I was getting a bit tired of the rather boring 'surf dude' culture that predominates in the VW scene. I'm middle-aged with a wife and three young children who are all keen on the idea!

All thoughts welcome (Ithink!) :D

Tim[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: From VW Beetle to a Morris

Post by bmcecosse »

You will find the Minor much more 'conventional'! I would just sell ONE VW and buy a Minor to see how you like it!
ImageImage
britany
Minor Friendly

Post by britany »

"selling my collection of Beetles and campers and having a Morris Minor to use as a daily drive " ?
I agree bmc
See old topic page 11 : Minor or Beetle?
TimM
Minor Friendly

Post by TimM »

Many thanks!
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

a link to the minor or beetle? post is..

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... le#p303338
TimM
Minor Friendly

Post by TimM »

Yep, got it! I need to experience a Moggie first but the VW 'scene' is at least being an issue that others have come up against. I took the kids to Bug Jam once, the family camping area looked like the day after the end of the World!
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

The Vw and morris scene are worlds apart.
Ill hold my hand up and say that although I have attended and showed at several events (both VW and minor) I have only ever camped/slept in the car at VW shows.
I am currently "pre-middle aged" and enjoy the vibrant party atmosphere that is always somewhere to be found at a VW show.
I haven't camped at a minor show because im not sure there would be enough to keep me entertained (and the missis too)

I still enjoy the minor shows but more as a day time event and find the shows rather sensible and sedate (morris dancing anyone?) Ths promotes a nice "oldy-worldy" atmosphere that really helps the cars excell. There is still the camaraderie that you get at a VW show but its not as outwardly visible.

I still do Vw shows and will be back to the minor ones soon and I think they both have their place.
If you want fun, action, tricked out cars and the euro look then VW all the way.
If you want to have a quiet time with an underlying warmth and oodles of charm then Morris all the way.

Personally I currently have a VW and Morris fleet.
This is the daily driver and plenty of grunt with some subtle mods -Golfie-

This is my '63 4 door that I've had for 11 years and completely rebuilt for my sedate moments -Mona-

This is because I forgot to take my medication! -Igor-
Hes going to learn german:

At the end of the day A club/show/hobby/interest is what you make of it. I enjoy all of my cars (and bikes when I have time) for different reasons.
I say come to a show, pull up a pew and see what you think. I think that after the initial culture shock you will have a great time. A lot of people will still think you drive a beetle :roll:
Best of all there are no heat exchangers on the exhaust but you will have to get used to checking the coolant ;)

You might be interested to know that as I understand it the reason for the capacious engine bay was because Sir Alec Issigonnis originally intended the minor to have an aircooled flat four to lower the centre of gravity but the straight 4 got used for cost purposes.

I realise that some people may think I am being derogatory about the Morris scene but I am just being realistic, my intention is not to offend.
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!
TimM
Minor Friendly

Post by TimM »

Thanks Ash, great answer. Very considered and informative!
timmo
Minor Fan

Post by timmo »

I packed up the VW scene a year ago...Got 2 minors now...wouldn't go back to dubs nows.....still a "surf dude" though, but would be even if i had Festa :wink:
TimM
Minor Friendly

Post by TimM »

Cheers Timmo, this feedback has been really helpful,

Tim :D
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

TimM wrote:Thanks Ash, great answer. Very considered and informative!
No worries at all, you got me thinking and I ended up doing a big ol post at silly O clock today about the MMOC national rally.

any questions just shout.
- Ash
Image Image Image
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

TimM wrote:Hi

I've been a keen fan of air-cooled VW's but after much nashing of teeth I'm toying with the idea of selling my collection of Beetles and campers and having a Morris Minor to use as a daily drive. I wondered what you thought of the idea? My main reason to to rationalise my life a bit better but also I was getting a bit tired of the rather boring 'surf dude' culture that predominates in the VW scene. I'm middle-aged with a wife and three young children who are all keen on the idea!
Well The VW scene is Surfin' Safari without the (real) surfers while the Minor scene is Midsomer Murders without the murders :lol: Imagine if I said that on VZi :)

Bear in mind that, as with a Beetle, your three young children won't fit in the back for much longer so you can't fit your whole family in in one go. You probably need two Minors. Well when I say, 'two Minors, I mean two running, MOT'd Minors, you'll probably need a couple of projects in barns and a car just for spares. :) From your VW collection you probably already know how that rot sets in.

We don't have the equivalent of a VW camper (apart from 'The Snail but we don't talk about that in case we awaken it from its slumber) so from a utility point of view, it's shows in tents or keep the camper.

But seriously, from the Minor scene aspect, come to a few shows and see what you think. Maybe ask if you can have a ride in a Minor to see how it feels for you.

As already suggested, if you want a Minor, don't get rid of all your VWs, maybe sell off one or two and test the water. You might want to have a foot in both camps
TimM
Minor Friendly

Post by TimM »

Thanks for that, I'm planning to visit the show at Leeds or a couple more over the summer and maybe take a trip down Charles Ware for a drive about. I can see us keeping the split screen camper as I've only just finished it and we haven't even camped in it yet but I will sell the late bay camper and the mexican beetle to make space :)

Cheers again,

Tim
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

where in the country are you based?
- Ash
Image Image Image
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

I realised last night while taking a tortion bar off that you will need some imperial tools! I recently got a big 1/2" drive britool set for around 30 quid and they are nice and bullet proof.
I got a good deal on Kamasa spanners too. really chunky and solid!
- Ash
Image Image Image
TimM
Minor Friendly

Post by TimM »

Oh, I never thought about that, I'm based in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

Shame your not closer,
if your ever coming down the M4 near J16 then let me know as there are 5 minors within 1/4 mile of here (and I only own 2!) Ive got one in bits at the mo so if your quick you can see what lies beneath!
- Ash
Image Image Image
rich-legg
Minor Fan

Post by rich-legg »

TimM wrote:Thanks for that, I'm planning to visit the show at Leeds or a couple more over the summer and maybe take a trip down Charles Ware for a drive about. I can see us keeping the split screen camper as I've only just finished it and we haven't even camped in it yet but I will sell the late bay camper and the mexican beetle to make space :)

Cheers again,

Tim
Tim,
What year is the Split camper? I've got a
'51 split ragtop Beetle (11G)
'63 UK ragtop Beetle
'65 11 window split camper

'62 Morris Traveller
'61 4 door
(yes, too many cars)

I'm in Amersham, just down the road from you. :wink:
Just do both lots of shows, like I do :D