Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sgray
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: JLH

Post by sgray »

this is a mistake - Jonathan has helped so many people on this site and for the inexperienced fiddlers like myself it's great to have access to a professional restorer.

We need a credible explanation and a way forward so that JLH can continue to support the forum.
1970 Minor 1000 Pickup - Blue
Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire borders
Oxon & Berks MMOC branch member and webmaster - http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox

billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

LouiseM wrote:It's all too easy for people to jump to conclusions without knowing any details but as DP has said, people can make their own minds up once they are aware of the facts. An official response will be posted later to explain the situation.
I would respectfully suggest that the official response comes sooner rather than later or there may be no one left to read it
GeorgeHurst
Minor Addict

Post by GeorgeHurst »

Whilst it's great to see the universal support for Jonathon, and, as stated earlier, I am 100% behind him, I think it would be prudent not to immediately withdraw support for the MMOC on the back of this - certainly not until their formal statement has been issued. The MMOC, though perhaps over zealous in moderation of the forum, are a positive force for the future of the Minor and provide a great number of services in insurance deals, technical advice etc.

There is still hope that this whole thing can come to an amicable conclusion, and I think we should all, MMOC, mods, members and non-member forum users, take this as an opportunity to perhaps develop the moderation of the board for the better - and perhaps even include the 'Suppliers' section that Jonathon often mentioned - rather than all walk away from what has become an invaluable means of discussion, that I can't imagine can be rivaled by any other classic car marque, and an owners club that ultimately has the future of the Minor at its heart.

Here's hoping the MMOC can be pragmatic about this and look toward a solution that appeases all parties and hopefully gets Jonathon back (if he will come!)
[sig]3218[/sig]<br/>
'Morris' - 1966 1098cc 2dr salloon
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

it is indeed a sad day that a man devoted to the morris minor has to disappear from this forum
yes we know he can be outspoken but at least he has the courage of his conviction to say what he means and means what he says and the mmoc do not like outspoken folk or any critisism
so many of us on here have gained from his experience and wisdom
so i hope sincerely hope that jonathan is allowed back so we can once again gain from his wisdom and expertise that he gives freely and unashamedly
Last edited by aupickup on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

as a by note
insurances can be got very competively without being a member of the mmoc
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

GeorgeHurst wrote:Whilst it's great to see the universal support for Jonathon, and, as stated earlier, I am 100% behind him, I think it would be prudent not to immediately withdraw support for the MMOC on the back of this - certainly not until their formal statement has been issued. The MMOC, though perhaps over zealous in moderation of the forum, are a positive force for the future of the Minor and provide a great number of services in insurance deals, technical advice etc.

There is still hope that this whole thing can come to an amicable conclusion, and I think we should all, MMOC, mods, members and non-member forum users, take this as an opportunity to perhaps develop the moderation of the board for the better - and perhaps even include the 'Suppliers' section that Jonathon often mentioned - rather than all walk away from what has become an invaluable means of discussion, that I can't imagine can be rivaled by any other classic car marque, and an owners club that ultimately has the future of the Minor at its heart.

Here's hoping the MMOC can be pragmatic about this and look toward a solution that appeases all parties and hopefully gets Jonathon back (if he will come!)
The MMOC, though perhaps over zealous in moderation of the forum, are a positive force for the future of the Minor and provide a great number of services in insurance deals, technical advice etc.

I agree but I feel they treat criticism as an impertinence and I don’t expect to be ignored or treated with contempt when I raise an uncomfortable issue. If they think I'm in the wrong, tell me why!!
that I can't imagine can be rivaled by any other classic car marque, and an owners club that ultimately has the future of the Minor at its heart.

I think some clubs may feel they are the equal of MMOC in that respect (The Bugatti Owners Club for one). I suppose the MMOC is not a one make club; more a one model club, whereas the MG Owners' Club caters for numerous models (It was originally for post T Type stuff). Some may say it's Roche Bentley's business but he has helped make the MG scene (And to a large degree classic cars) what it is today.

I have to say that Minor Matters is the club magazine I look forward to the most. Bi monthly is enough and perhaps the monthly ones suffer from being too frequent. However I am not going to be treated with indifference but the matter is not yet lost; my membership has not expired. I don't need MMOC for the insurance, as I am a long standing customer of Peter Best through my membership of the MG Car Club.
britany
Minor Friendly

Post by britany »

I don't have many posts but thousands of " click" to read you All.
I can't believe that. I agree with all comments

a frenchie newbie
Ondergard
Minor Fan

Post by Ondergard »

Blaketon wrote:the MG Owners' Club caters for numerous models (It was originally for post T Type stuff). Some may say it's Roche Bentley's business but he has helped make the MG scene (And to a large degree classic cars) what it is today.
Many many years ago I worked for Roche Bentley, indirectly - and his brother Martin. My first job after leaving school was as a Sales Clerk for Pitney Bowes in Hatton Garden, EC1, and Roche was a young salesman in London Sales. His "team" was the City Gents, as I recall, and I clerked for them. A very thrusting, go-ahead young fella with piercing blue eyes, a very direct manner, and very self-confident - and quite kind-hearted.

Although he did get a bit miffed when he threw the keys of his MG at me and told me to move it off the parking meters in Hatton Wall, becasue he had a meeting and couldn't. I was gone an hour, having driven his MG all around Central London. He was even more miffed when he found out I only had a provisional licence.... I did try to tell him when he threw me the keys, but he wouldn't listen!
Pembrokeshire - God's Own County!
GeorgeHurst
Minor Addict

Post by GeorgeHurst »

I agree but I feel they treat criticism as an impertinence and I don’t expect to be ignored or treated with contempt when I raise an uncomfortable issue. If they think I'm in the wrong, tell me why!!
Blaketon, it certainly appears that that can be the case, just trying to point out that we should try and keep relatively level headed about the matter - and hopefully the MMOC will take heed of the reaction to this and change things for the better.

With regard the status of the club, i was really refering to this board in particular, as I think the level of discussion and knowledge on here is hard to surpass, and even if you're not involved in discussion there is a tonne of information stored in this forums archives.
[sig]3218[/sig]<br/>
'Morris' - 1966 1098cc 2dr salloon
RobMoore
Minor Addict

Post by RobMoore »

Agree with a lot of whats been said here and as George points out there is a huge wealth of knowledge lurking about in old threads here. That said, it won't take long to populate other locations.
Moggieless :(

Another great Moggy orientated Forum.
http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Of course I fully agree with all that has been said - and very well said I must say! I'm sure Jonathon will be honoured to see all your comments in due course. I have my own feelings on why this action has been taken - but I had better not say in public. Let's hope the Mods are watching and taking all the positive comments in. I believe it was the MMOC Committee who decided to close Jon's account - but whether this was on 'advice' from the Mods or not - I have no idea. I don't think many of the Committee come on the Forum.............. but perhaps someone will put me right on that ? I suppose we could organise a Petition to have Jon re-instated ? Does anyone know how to do that - perhaps on here (although of course it may get locked/deleted) or perhaps better an on-line petition if anyone knows how to do that - or perhaps via Facebook if anyone knows how to start up a Group ????? Whether any of that would do any good is a matter for conjecture of course.
This is an excellent Forum - but I have never seen such intense Moderation ! Other Forums don't have anything like that level of interference - and don't seem to have any problems at all - and members complain about poor service/places to avoid right left and centre.
Meantime - I always watch and post comments on the other Forum - if anyone prefers to go there I will be answering queries there as well as here.

Roy
ImageImage
nigelr2000
Minor Addict

Post by nigelr2000 »

Sad to lose a worthy and knowledgeable contributor, no doubt we will find out why in due course when a proper reply by the mods is posted, I will wait before passing judgement till then !!

I intend to live forever.....so far so good

The other place to be :- http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

AND OF COURSE MODS HAVE ALSO HAD HIS EXPERTISE FREELY

and did not complain about that

i am with bmc to try and get jonathon back
i suppose with all things we will have to wait and see why his account was closed
Last edited by aupickup on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Some other forums delete postings without informing the posters why it was done and we don't wish to go down that route, and you all agreed the T & C's when you signed onto the board.
So sorry once again but I can't get my head around agreeing to something and then disagreeing with it as it seems totally contradictory, personally if I agree to something I stick to it so maybe I am being a little old fashioned.
I suppose we could organise a Petition to have Jon re-instated ? Does anyone know how to do that - perhaps on here (although of course it may get locked/deleted)
To answer your question
Club business must only be discussed in the Members Only Area
So that's where to raise it.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

aupickup wrote:AND OF COURSE MODS HAVE ALSO HAD HIS EXPERTISE FREELY
Can you explain the remark Dennis.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

yes kevin i can explain that remark as you call it

quite simple all readers including mods have gained from his expertese
so now where is jonathons loyalty from here, certainly not from mods
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

As a newcomer to this forum I have to say I am deeply saddened by whatever is going on - I have enjoyed reading everyones posts and it is always good to know both sides of everything. I thought this site had a fairly good banter between those who disagreed with others. I think the loss of JLH is a real blow to the likes of those of us who benefited from his help for free. I just wish to add my weight to those who have already expressed in much better terms than I, that JLH was a credit to this site and will be sorely missed, please do consider allowing him back.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

aupickup wrote:yes kevin i can explain that remark as you call it

quite simple all readers including mods have gained from his expertese
so now where is jonathons loyalty from here, certainly not from mods
I assume you meant to say where is the loyalty to Jonathon not from Jonathon and I am puzzled at your remarks about the mods what has loyalty got to do with the issue when the terms and conditions are broken ?
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

yes i meant loyalty to jonathon :D :D

but like i said we have all and mods included gained from his expertise, and i know you have to kevin
Offensive remarks removed
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Yes I agree, it is rather disapointing that JLH is no longer here. Surely one of the most active posters in terms of helpful proffesional advice.
Pyoor_Kate wrote: (I understand at some point he mentioned that his company produced a part which isn't available from anyone else when someone asked if they were available - without directly stating that it was JLH who produced it - when no one else had mentioned any sources for the part. While I can see that to the letter of the T&Cs that's contravening it, but then so are all the suppliers / restorers who put their company details in their Sigs... imho).
:)
With regards to the above its frustrating to others that we can't can't help when someone asks 'where can I get a so and so?' and we're the only one making / supplying this item, but difficult to make a no advertising rule that allows for common sense I guess.
Its also in the T&Cs that all traders have to disclose themselves in their sigs rather than it being a personal desire to advertise themselves. I was happy to be just another enthusiast both asking and answering questions when I first joined but suppose its best for all.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!