Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PGH
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Paint Colours

Post by PGH »

I have just purchased an October 1970 Morris 1000 and wish to use the correct colour scheme for the wheels etc.

My car chassis number starts 128---- and is trafalgar blue. According to the body colour chart shown on the forum, trafalgar blue was used from November 67 (chasis number 1205081) to July 69 (chasis number (1257371). I'm fairly sure that the body colour on my car hasn't been changed and wonder whether there is another explanation for the discrepancy.

Any help would be appreciated.
LouiseM

Re: Paint Colours

Post by LouiseM »

Hi, welcome to the messageboard. The particular chassis numbers you've quoted are for travellers. Trafalgar blue was used on saloons up to November 1970 (chassis number 1288377) and the wheels would have originally been dark silver.

Post up a photo as we like seing new members cars. See the link here if you're not sure how to do it:
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=31197 And if you update your profile to show your location we'll know where you are. Any other questions, just ask! :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
PGH
Minor Friendly

Post by PGH »

Thanks for solving the mystery so quickly.
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

Here is my 1970 Trafalagar blue Minor which has the wrong colour wheels. I intend to change them some day.[frame]Image[/frame]
robertquarmby
Minor Friendly

Post by robertquarmby »

Hi, the original BL paint colour for the wheels was Platinum Grey. When I did my wheels last winter I couldn't find this colour at all in the BL range. I did find a match in the modern colours and that was Nissan KX4 Silver Metalic. I had the wheels sprayed in this and they really look the part.
Bob
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

robertquarmby wrote:Hi, the original BL paint colour for the wheels was Platinum Grey. When I did my wheels last winter I couldn't find this colour at all in the BL range. I did find a match in the modern colours and that was Nissan KX4 Silver Metalic. I had the wheels sprayed in this and they really look the part.
Bob
Thanks for the tip. I will note the paint reference. Any idea how much paint is needed to do 5 wheels?
PGH
Minor Friendly

Post by PGH »

Realised where I went wrong looking at the chart on the Potteries branch site. Under the section headed 'Duration of use' I looked at the colour and across the chart it said series three so I ignored that. Had I looked at the next column I would have realised that this line also covered the series five (although this wasn't made clear) because the end date says November 70.

Problem solved.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

1 large can (if available) or 2 small ones. Then you have some if you ever need to touch up a chip. :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
robertquarmby
Minor Friendly

Post by robertquarmby »

Hi, if you go into an auto paint shop they will put whatever colour you want into an aerosol can. They sould be able to advise you on how much is needed.
Bob
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

robertquarmby wrote:Hi, if you go into an auto paint shop they will put whatever colour you want into an aerosol can. They sould be able to advise you on how much is needed.
Bob

Thanks, I didn't know that. It's quite a fag rubbing down the wheels and then undercoating and spraying with aerosol cans but maybe cheaper than getting them done professionally. Would like to buy some spare wheels sometime.
robertquarmby
Minor Friendly

Post by robertquarmby »

Hi, I got my wheels sand blasted, easy job after that.
Bob
morrisminorbzh
Minor Fan

Post by morrisminorbzh »

Hello, I'm new to the message board having joined the MMOC only a few days ago.
I to have a question about wheel colours - I have an Almond Green Traveller (chassis n° 1285542) first registered in the UK on 6th october 1970 and imported it over here to France (Brittany) in 2009 (arrived on 6th june !!) The wheels are in fact a creamy light custard colour and from what I can see on different forums they should be dark silver - is this correct ? The other question concerns the steering wheel - at the moment its a three spoke version that's fitted, should it not be a two spoke on a 1970 model ? My impression is that a previous owner has tried to make the look older than it is.
I had "Grommit" converted to left hand drive, very useful for getting into car parks etc over here !!!
I see on the MMOC website that a MOT to Brittany is planned in 2011 so look forward to seeing lots of you over here.
Cordialement, Michael
[frame]Image[/frame]
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

Hi, yes this is correct, I've forgoten the cut-off date for when wheels changed from cream to dark silver but I think that it was in 1967. Regards, William.[frame]Image[/frame]
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

And the steering wheel should be two spoke but some people prefer the three spoke. I think that it's like the wheels, a matter of taste.
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

A good idea to convert to LHD for France, by the way. I can't decide whether i am going to stay here (Normandy) so for the moment am doing nothing. Maybe will see you next year.
morrisminorbzh
Minor Fan

Post by morrisminorbzh »

I'll get round to getting the wheels and steering wheel back to the "original" in due course but there's no hurry.
Changing to left hand drive is very pratical - I've driven only left hand cars since I arrived here in 1977 which is now a question of habit..............will have to find a kilometer speedo - got nicked for speeding in "Grommit" !!!!!!
Love to know how many Minors are running around in France
Michael
britany
Minor Friendly

Post by britany »

mmbzh
Hello from Morbihan :P
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

morrisminorbzh wrote:I'll get round to getting the wheels and steering wheel back to the "original" in due course but there's no hurry.
Changing to left hand drive is very pratical - I've driven only left hand cars since I arrived here in 1977 which is now a question of habit..............will have to find a kilometer speedo - got nicked for speeding in "Grommit" !!!!!!
Love to know how many Minors are running around in France
Michael

Speeding in a Minor! The French don't seem to be familiar with Minors. I am always being asked what mine is. I understand that they where imported into France but in small numbers, due to high purchase tax at the time.