Safe haven needed.

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Safe haven needed.

Post by RobThomas »

The wife took the kids in to Cardiff before the match. I took the opportunity to do a couple of quick painting jobs and so I painted the handbrake and then decided to quickly oven-bake the lever for a couple of minutes....y'know....just a few moments at gas mark 1 to cook off the paint a bit.
I guess I shouldn't have looked at my e-mail inbox....y'know...just for a few moments.
30 minutes later and the smell of buring paint brought me back to reality.

Wanted. Safe haven in a country with no extradition treaty with Wales. Also, a decent air freshener and a new oven.

Quick. They'll be home in 20 minutes for the kick-off and I need to be gone by then.

HELP!
Cardiff, UK
LouiseM
MMOC Member: No

Re: Safe haven needed.

Post by LouiseM »

If there had been more time I would have suggested that you put a burnt cake in the oven and told them you had been planning a surprise but I guess they're home by now. So no point in me advising you to run like the clappers, head for the hills and don't look back as you've probably got a lowlight wing heading in your general direction and are not in a position to visit this forum! :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
dave1949
Minor Fan

Post by dave1949 »

Top Man :wink:

Sorry to late for your advice but do hope your still there to read this post :D

Do please keep us advised of the outcome. :roll:
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Right. I need a safe haven, an air freshener, a new oven, a divorce lawyer and one of those special tools that you use to extract handbrake levers from rectums.
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Plead Insanity, or is that taken for granted?
[sig]3580[/sig]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

Safe Haven = Garage?

works for me!

i do have a sign hanging up in the garage saying 'An Englishmans home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary'
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

Oh dear Rob you may be in the dog house for some time! We have all put things in the oven to dry etc which should never really be in such a place so I am sure many of us can empathise! Certainly as a kid I put my dog's bowl in the oven to dry having washed it, oops realised too late that plastic dog bowls will not hold water once they have been ultra heat blasted!!

I am sure your wife is used to odd things happening that those who do not tinker with cars just would not believe, so just be patient, make her a few cuppas, offer to clean the sink/loos (or some job she hates) and in no time she will appeciate you for your many talents and overlook the odd mishaps!
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Damn, that sofa is uncomfortable to sleep on. Hot Cross Buns for elevenses that have a faint tinge of cellulose to their flavour.

I've got the car up on stands this morning to have a crack at locating and curing a slow ticking sound from the rear end that seems to be something akin to a brake spring snagging as the wheel goes round. Nothing located yet. Spring U-bolts needed a full turn of the nuts to take up some slack and the rear dampers took about 15cc of fluid. No sign of leaks so I guess they've been low since before our ownership (10 years).

I've snapped a few shots of the original, unmolested and unrusty floorpan and sills which might come in handy for anyone restoring an early car. Does anyone want any specific shots or measurements whilst it is all visible?[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Sorry to hear of your dilemma Rob... My course of action would have been, the minute they walked through the front door. You, "Own up who was it...??!!!", Wife.. "Was what"... You," My hand brake.. been hunting everywhere for it... cleared the garage out, the shed, tool boxes... the neighbours garage, the garden, dredged the pond,.. every where", "I thought to myself the only places I haven't checked are the fridge... dishwasher and the oven. What do you know there it was in the oven..... so who was it!!!!"

Or there is always.. "I was looking for somewhere safe to put my new freshly painted handbrake... of all the safe places in the garage, the shed, hanging up the oven just stood out as the best place."

You may have to act a wee bit loopy in order for them to think you are losing it a little, but as long as you know you aren't going loopy you should be ok.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Well, you are still alive, but she'll look under the car eventually :) .

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"