Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

rear windows

Post by cadetchris »

how does one remove the rear side windows without knackering the seals?

i ask as the B pillars are showing signs of fracturing at the bottom corner of the widows on each side and whilst the welder chap is here doing the tie bar bracket, i may as well get him to do these bits as well
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: rear windows

Post by mogbob »

You will have to be very , very careful trying to remove the rear window seals.
The chances of success decreases in relation to how old ( and therefor inflexible ) the rubber has become.
There are two metal clips, to help keep the glass in situ, half way up the sides of the rear glass windows.
I'd put gaffer tape on the rubber seals either side of the clips before levering them out with a flat screwdriver
and/ or mole grips.
You will need a helper/ catcher working inside the car with you.A bodyshop suction cup or a sink plunger stuck on the
glass may assist removal.Try and use either plastic or thin plywood to hold the rubber extrusion back over the metal
edge of the window apperture, metal chisels or screwdrivers will destroy the rubber.Try and work from the top corner,
top of the "B " post, going down the vertical face and the curved top/side.By the time you are half way down you should be able to wiggled out the glass ( assuming no one has put mastic/ repair sealant in the groove ).Gently does it.

The vast majority of people can't be bothered with the hard work and frustration involved and bite the bullet for new seals.
Unless they have been renewed recently, it's not normally worth the effort.

Make sure that the welder protects the whole interior/ rest of the glasswork well, including the roof lining from welding splatter.
Bob