MOT Fail - Worst Reason?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sam_Finlay
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

MOT Fail - Worst Reason?

Post by Sam_Finlay »

Took my pick-up in for an MOT yesterday and was somewhat miffed to be told that it was a fail because 4 split pins were missing from various castle nuts. Each now has a nylock nut on it.

What was your lamest reason for a fail?

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: MOT Fail - Worst Reason?

Post by chrisryder »

i've never had a fail...

yet!

got an advisory on my sisters minor for 'paint chip on crossmember' :o i think the tester was just being helpful to point it out for us to get some paint on it!
pfgiz
Minor Addict

Post by pfgiz »

When I got my Saloon MOTed after rebuilding it the tester nearly failed me on not having therubber seal on the fuel filler cap. I had to phone my Dad up to bring a spare one over......

You four split pins still have it though.....
Peter Gisby.

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i have a feeling my dad got a friendly warning once about a lack of split pins on the tie rods even though it had nylocs on. the testers argument was that he could see the split pin holes in the rod. so there should be something in there! :roll:
Sam_Finlay
Minor Friendly

Post by Sam_Finlay »

Peter - I watched the tester take my petrol filler cap off and study it for a minute. I thought he was just being a tad "jobs worth" but I suppose it must be on the "list" of things to check. You learn something new every day!

Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

I had a fail for a missing split pin where a castellated nut had been fitted instead of a plain one and was secured properly with a tab washer. It wasn't the only fail point though and he was very gracious when I pointed out the tab washer.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I've had a fail for 'headlight insecure' where the tester had noticed that the hockey sticks were not doing a good job of holding the wing edge.. if he pulled hard he could move the bottom of the wing 1/4 of an inch... :roll:

There were other more realistic failures on the car though so I wasn't too upset about the silly headlight fail
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

I had a bike fail for a lack of split pin on the rear brake torque arm.

Unfortunately most of my failures tend to be of the '3+ red sheets' variety :(
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
robberred1993
Minor Friendly

Post by robberred1993 »

Something dangling down from the interior mirror because it obstructed drivers view - all it was was an air freshener!
Part-Time most things, Full-time Scouter
Sam_Finlay
Minor Friendly

Post by Sam_Finlay »

robberred1993 wrote:Something dangling down from the interior mirror because it obstructed drivers view - all it was was an air freshener!
HaHa. I think I would have exploded with that one.

What's more annoying is knowing that some prat of a tester somewhere has passed a vehicle you've bought, that was significantly constructed from "structural body filler" covered in a think layer of under seal. :cry: :evil: ie My very first Traveller - One lives and learns.

robberred1993
Minor Friendly

Post by robberred1993 »

Sam_Finlay wrote:
robberred1993 wrote:Something dangling down from the interior mirror because it obstructed drivers view - all it was was an air freshener!
HaHa. I think I would have exploded with that one.

What's more annoying is knowing that some prat of a tester somewhere has passed a vehicle you've bought, that was significantly constructed from "structural body filler" covered in a think layer of under seal. :cry: :evil: ie My very first Traveller - One lives and learns.

So inconsistent! and to make matters worse...he couldn't re-test mine for 2 days!!!

Strangely enough we never used that Station again.....we have a regular one now who is always good and fair to us.
Part-Time most things, Full-time Scouter
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Sam_Finlay wrote:Took my pick-up in for an MOT yesterday and was somewhat miffed to be told that it was a fail because 4 split pins were missing from various castle nuts. Each now has a nylock nut on it.

What was your lamest reason for a fail?
2 split pins missing :P castlated nuts on tie bars

Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Numerous fails - but the only silly one I have had was a blown brake light bulb (on the transit)
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Arnie
Minor Friendly

Post by Arnie »

Had my modified Cortina failed for a rubbing handbrake cable and the tester put on the online records he thought the car was dangerous without specifying what part of the car was dangerous (steering rack conversion/zetec engine). I sorted the cable and went back for my MOT pass, it's since gone though another 3mots without even an advisory about my handiwork (at a different MOT station).
morris van
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by morris van »

I took my MG for a MOT and there was a new MOT tester that had just started at the garage where I had been taking cars for years without any problems and he said to me it's failed before he even started as he said he fails all old cars.He does not work there anymore as he was failing cars when there was not anything wrong with them.