Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
traveller1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Battery types revisited

Post by traveller1 »

Last forum I could find on this was in 2004. I need a replacement battery for 1098 Traveller. Last one was a Halfords Type 038. Now I dont know why I chose 038 since this numbering means nothing to me. I still have reference to Lucas batteries (RIP). This battery did not last the winter - my fault I didnt run the car. It has been professionally checked and diagnosed as knackered.
Someone on that forum said he preferred a type 067 or 069, but what do these mean? I think I need a 40 Amphour battery, which I do understand. Can anyone recommend a reliable make - not the cheapest necessarily and how do you get one in Inverness?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Battery types revisited

Post by bmcecosse »

First off - charge the battery for a good 48 hours - and try it. And get yourself a solar charger from Maplins - and use it next winter....... Buy the cheapest battery Costco will sell you - it will be fine. If there is a size choice at the same price - take the larger one, but otherwise ANY battery will be fine for a Minor.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

A small battery in a large battery case looks out of place and the battery clamp will probably not fit. What is important is that the posts are the correct way round depending on whether the car is pos or neg earth. If the car is pos. earth then with the posts at the back of the battery the pos. post will be on the fuel pump side. I use HCB 075 batteries, suitable for neg. earth.
[sig]3580[/sig]
traveller1
Minor Friendly

Post by traveller1 »

bmcecosse wrote:First off - charge the battery for a good 48 hours - and try it. And get yourself a solar charger from Maplins - and use it next winter....... Buy the cheapest battery Coscto will sell you - it will be fine. If there is a size choice at the same price - take the larger one, but otherwise ANY battery will be fine for a Minor.
Thanks... charging will be no good- the cells have definitely failed ( Auto electrician checked) and do already have a solar charger and a trickle charger but as I said, I forgot - not much sun this year so far for solar. We had frost less than one week ago! Just remains for me to find a Costco- dont know who they are. Still feel as though my lovely car deserves a good quality battery.
Have you any idea what the Code numbers mean?
traveller1
Minor Friendly

Post by traveller1 »

mike.perry wrote:A small battery in a large battery case looks out of place and the battery clamp will probably not fit. What is important is that the posts are the correct way round depending on whether the car is pos or neg earth. If the car is pos. earth then with the posts at the back of the battery the pos. post will be on the fuel pump side. I use HCB 075 batteries, suitable for neg. earth.
I agree the old battery looked too small and the clamp was a fiddle, but it did fit. I have got Neg earth. What is an HCB 075?
traveller1
Minor Friendly

Post by traveller1 »

Just discovered that our nearest CostCo is over 100 miles away. Any other suggestions?
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Well you can still get Halfords type 038 batteries which are suitable for use in a Minor. Or try asking at your local motor factors as they can usually look up and find a suitable battery.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The number describes the size and position of the posts. Check on ebay for good offers locally. I STILL say - charge that battery - the auto electrician may not be right! It can't do any harm - it may well pick up nicely -especially if you leave the solar charger on it when the car is not in use.
ImageImage
traveller1
Minor Friendly

Post by traveller1 »

Thanks everyone- problem solved. I went to an Agricultural dealer who had a good powerful, sealed battery. He looked at my dead Halfords 038 and tactfully suggested that it was a pretty poor battery. Hopefully I wont forget to keep this well charged in the winter ( the car hibernates - too much salt and wet for her delicate state)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Halfords batteries are actually pretty good - and they seem to honour the warranty on them too. Use the solar charger over the winter - point it due south and horizontal - so it gets as much sun as possible. It works. My TR7 (2 litre engine) has a small Halfords battery which is far from new - starts the car up just fine after the winter 'rest'. The clock does seem to lose about 5 minutes though........
ImageImage
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

theres no good reason to completely lay it up for winter though, you just make more problems than you solve, with batteries and brakes and even engine components. the car was designed to be used wasnt it? and winters are no worse now than they were in the 50/60's. just go out, ahve fun and give it a wash down to get rid of the road salt.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There is FAR more salt about now - I doubt there was any when these cars were on the road - just grit (or more likely ashes) in those days. My old cars go nowhere from September to May.
ImageImage
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

Each to thier own, but I find that a little sad, if you look after it the salt isn't really a problem. They weren't designed to be admired, they were designed to be used!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And when the weather is suitable - mine ARE used! If I lived in Tenerife (I wish!) they would be used all year round.
ImageImage
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

Are you sure? I've seen some of the driving over there!!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There is a very nice Traveller sits under the canopy at the Shell station just opposite 'Tenerife Pearl' - much more interesting than the ghastly pearls.......
ImageImage
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

My parents have a place over there, when thier over next ill get them to grab a photo!