Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
phurn
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

bmw head.....

Post by phurn »

i seem to remember eading some time ago that the bmw k100 series 16v head fits very nicely onto an aseries engine, mated with the matching fuel injection this gives over 100bhp, however how much work is involved in this? has anyone done it? i know it fits due to the bore gaps being identical, however are the bolt holes and water ways? does anything need to be redrilled?

as luck would have it i have a 16v k100 sitting in the garage thats currently out of action due to a broken clutch! so if its not too much hassle i reckon the two engines might become one ;)

i spose likewise i could fit the a series head to the bike and see what happens!! if it works at all i suspect somethign rather slow...
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Re: bmw head.....

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

I know of a guy (well son of) who fitted one to a mini. Doing all the work himself i believe the costs were into the 1000's still...
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... +crossflow
___Anne___

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The bores line up reasonably with a 1275 - but studs/water ways etc need complete revision. It's a major major conversion. If all you want is 100 bhp - that's on with normal A series mods. It would also be much simpler/less expensive to put a MINI (Eaton) supercharger to the 1275 engine.......
ImageImage
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

not the answer i was hoping for, but definatly the one i expected. never mind.... i spose i *Could* drop the whole engine in.. though id still need adapters for the gearbox and so forth, meh might aswell forget it!
Oddball67
Minor Friendly

Post by Oddball67 »

I'd buy the bike if you wanted to sell it.

I'd love to go down this 16V route. Is it only the K100 RS that has the 16v Head as, I thought the BMW K100 RT was 8v? As you own a BMW Bike you may be a man in the know?
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

The 100rs also came in 8 valve, to further complicate matters. The 8 valve has more low down torque.....