Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mr_Moggie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Washer Pump Issues

Post by Mr_Moggie »

Hello :-),

Recently I have been having issues with my Morris Minor's washer pump due to the fact that the pump will not pump out any water. I tried using a needle to unblock the nozzles, but that didn't help, and I even took the Speedometer out and checked the pipes, and it seems that the pipe is blocked and there was a slight leak.

Could someone please give me a diagnosis? Thank you muchly.

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: Washer Pump Issues

Post by MarkyB »

The pipes can get blocked with algae type stuff.
I'd take the off at the pump and blow down it, having removed the one way valve in the water reservoir if there is one.

You could use a bicycle pump or an air duster if you aren't keen to use your lips.

The use of proper screen wash reduces the problem, never use washing up liquid!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Mr_Moggie
Minor Friendly

Post by Mr_Moggie »

MarkyB wrote:The pipes can get blocked with algae type stuff.
I'd take the off at the pump and blow down it, having removed the one way valve in the water reservoir if there is one.

You could use a bicycle pump or an air duster if you aren't keen to use your lips.

The use of proper screen wash reduces the problem, never use washing up liquid!

Thank you MarkyB :-), I have tried the bicycle pump tactic but it didn't work, I ought to buy a new pipe set as the pipes could be cracked or split.

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

An air bed compressor or tyre pump with a football adapter would do the trick too.
I use my lips and lungs and haven't died of anything yet, petrol pipe leave a much nastier taste in the mouth :)

Quite rare for the pipes to crack, Mk1 eyeball would detect that one.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

beware the Legionella in the washer bottle (and pipes)......
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

From;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionella

"Legionella transmission is via aerosols" so more danger from using the screenwash than blowing down the pipe.

I'm careful, always wipe the end of the pipe with a rag :)

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you get some in your mouth - and then breathe in - you will create an aerosol.......... But - most healthy folks will not be affected - it only affects those with an already weakened immune system.
ImageImage
Mr_Moggie
Minor Friendly

Post by Mr_Moggie »

Would it be worth taking the piping out and putting it in a bucket of water to see any air bubbles come out - and if so, buy new piping? Or is it more likely a blockage from the hard water?

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Fit an electric washer pump
[sig]3580[/sig]
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Mr_Moggie wrote: it seems that the pipe is blocked and there was a slight leak.
Where was the leak?
Mr_Moggie wrote:Would it be worth taking the piping out and putting it in a bucket of water to see any air bubbles come out - and if so, buy new piping? Or is it more likely a blockage from the hard water?
That would work for finding a puncture in an inner tube but as the tubing isn't airtight I don't think that will help much in finding a leak. If you remove the tubing you should be able to see if there is a blockage or any cracks. If not, pour water in one end of the tubing and see whether it comes out of the other :)

Have you tried pushing the pump and seeing whether any water comes out of the water bottle and up into the tubing? The non-return valve might have stopped working. This is the small pastic bit that fits on the end of the tubing which goes into the water bottle. It can sometimes fail meaning that the water is unable to pump round up to the washer jets. Cheap to buy - your local motor factors will probably have one. I'd try this first before removing the tubing.

If the non-return valve is working OK the water pump could have packed up so you might need to get a replacement one.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

If you get some in your mouth - and then breathe in - you will create an aerosol
The secret is to blow, not suck, anyone who sucks up washer fluid then slurps it around like a wine connoisseur deserves to get Legionella.

I trust the water tanks you fill the train from are all treated with Chlorine or something else to stop it growing.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No -it's not for breathing in or drinking. And in any case is safely stored at < 20 C . The washer bottle under the bonnet is a nice incubator........but I agree - the risks are small, but not insignificant. Just take care! Loss of flow can sometimes be caused by the little intake filter becoming blocked with 'growth'.... Worth cleaning it carefully - in really hot water > 60 C.
ImageImage
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Best to make sure that your washer jet is correctly adjusted too as the bacteria can travel up to 6km when airborne :o

Seriously, the risks are small, and non-existant if you use screenwash (although I wouldn't recommend drinking that either!) Males over 50 are most at risk though so I can understand why you are being particularly cautious Roy :wink:

However Mr_Moggie is a lot younger than that so I don't think he should be worrying unnecessarily. And as I've already posted, if you check the non-return valve & washer pump and examine the tubing visually you should be able to fix the problem without needing to put the tubing anywhere near your mouth :)

Eric - 1971 Traveller