engine upgrade.

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sooty
MMOC Member: No

engine upgrade.

Post by sooty »

i'm looking at upgrading my 1000 engine with a 1.4 rover metro. can anybody tell me if it will be the same as the mini metro convertion. many thanks. :lol:
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Re: engine upgrade.

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

I think the mini metro was an A series, so not too hard a swap, the 1.4 is a totally different beats isn't it? Sure it can be done though...
___Anne___

beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

1.1 and 1.4 metro engines were not A series, would be very difficult methinks.

linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

As a "K" series engine, it can, and has been done in RWD form(look at the JLH website). Don't know that many have tried converting to Metro "A" series, as unless you are going FWD, which would be a major transformation,it is a waste of effort as there are too many differences to mate it to a RWD format.
Last edited by linearaudio on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

The 1.4 K series will go in with some work... See here for kits and info http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

It will cost a fortune :(
mgdavid

Post by mgdavid »

frm JLH:-
"We no longer offer this modification, but do have a limited number of the conversion kits left in stock."

now why would they drop it - is there an inherent problem, or maybe parts shortage?
mgsmithy@yahoo.co.uk
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

mgdavid wrote:frm JLH:-
"We no longer offer this modification, but do have a limited number of the conversion kits left in stock."

now why would they drop it - is there an inherent problem, or maybe parts shortage?
Because they are now focusing on the zetec conversion, as there will be much better long term parts supply. Imo the ford sigma engine is a better bat than the k-series due to parts availability and the reliability of the design. :d
___Anne___

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

They are no longer doing it -because the Mutro engine is crap....... :roll:
Decide on your budget -if anything less than £2000 or so - just concentrate on making the best of the A series engine.......
ImageImage
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

bmcecosse wrote:They are no longer doing it -because the Mutro engine is crap....... :roll:
Decide on your budget -if anything less than £2000 or so - just concentrate on making the best of the A series engine.......
The k-series itself is an excellent engine, so I feel that comment is wrong (if it is indeed a k-series)
Also you can fit something better and different for under £2000, you just have to do the work yourself.
___Anne___

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The K series is just not worth the trouble - the head gasket can blow if you look at it sideways - and then costs a small fortune to attempt (by no means a certain ) to fix the problem - including new through bolts and expensive gaskets. Essentially - it IS a good enough engine - especially the crank bearings which I was involved with developing at Glacier many moons ago.....but over the years it has become 'fragile'...... There are much better engines out there. And yes of course - DIY will be much cheaper.
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

bmcecosse wrote:The K series is just not worth the trouble - the head gasket can blow if you look at it sideways
hit the nail on the head there. in its transverse applications it was awful, but by all accounts when fitted longitudinally in minors, you can get ample cooling and headgaskets aren't an issue.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Personally - I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a decent diesel engine for the Minor. I know some have been done - but all comprehensive rebuild jobs. Just a nice economical diesel with a backplate to fit to the Minor box would be good..... Emphasis on economy - not performance.
ImageImage
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

the K series engine does eat its head gasket when bored out to 1.8 litres and fitted to the incredibly heavy defender. in 1.4 litre guise it is a great engine and powered my sabre scimitar with no problems at all. If you do go down this route check that the metro engine is the 16 valve version not the 8 valve version which went into some metros.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I don't believe 'cooling' was ever an issue with these engines whether sideways or not - although very definitely if allowed to overheat for any reason that does lead to terminal gasket failure . I believe early gaskets are also prone - but if changed to the later (v expensive) gasket with new bolts etc, some confidence can be had. Obviously there are variable valve timing versions around - which is a useful idea. Strange that steam engines had variable valve timing in the 18 hundreds and yet it took so long to develop the system for internal combustion engines.......
ImageImage
Alan Pearse
Minor Friendly

Post by Alan Pearse »

bmcecosse, I agree the K series is hopeless, i've heard the ford zetec conversion is getting very popular as will be the early duratec's used in the first focus's, if your looking for a diesel, i know two vans that have been fitted with the 3.0 ltr turbo diesel from izusu, i'm pretty sure it's the engine thats fitted into modern version of the londaon black cab.
Alan Pearse
Register of the
Series II
Saloon & Convertible
Register
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

3 Litre Diesel ?? Do you think I own an oil well??? Smallest possible diesel - 1.4 would be good...... :wink:
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I've always liked the sound of the Lupo engine;
1.4 TDI 1,422 cc (1 L; 87 cu in) 3cyl Diesel 75 PS (55 kW; 74 hp) @4000 rpm 195 N·m (144 lb·ft) @2200 rpm 12.3 170 km/h (106 mph) 1999–2005

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Absolutely. I see the new Kia has a 1.1 litre diesel and claims up to 80 mpg.......
ImageImage
TomLS
Minor Fan

Post by TomLS »

I can vouch for the 3 cylinder Lupo engine. It's a spritely little driver, and I believe it was the first commercially fitted engine to get over 100km/l!