Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: sheared off engine fan blade

Post by bmcecosse »

It's by no means a 'common' failure - without a doubt caused by maltreatment of the blade in the past. There are plenty of rad repair places about - I'm sure your yellow pages will guide you to the nearest one. Be sure to refill with antifreeze when you refit it.
ImageImage
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

bmcecosse wrote:Water pump bearings are loose - perhaps damaged by (or the cause of) the snapped fan. New water pump required......
Funnily enough this happened to me years ago. there was a bit of clatter from the water pump about a week before, and after the fan snapped, the pump lasted about 20mins.........
Perhaps the excess play in the pump is causing vibrations which produce a stress crack in the fan?
washer-bottle
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by washer-bottle »

bmcecosse wrote:It's by no means a 'common' failure - without a doubt caused by maltreatment of the blade in the past.
Lets just say the fan had not been maltreated in the last 34 years of my ownership. I use the starting handle to turn the engine over. I changed the water pump a couple of years ago and repainted the fan, it all looked OK then. The 4 bolts are all secure and there is no play in the remaining blade / water pump.
bmcecosse wrote:There are plenty of rad repair places about - I'm sure your yellow pages will guide you to the nearest one.
I wish there were - not one listed for Swindon. It must be a sign of our times!

Al
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Interesting! Well - must just be a fatigue failure - but not a common thing. I see plenty of rad repair places around me - hard to imagine rads don't need repair in Swindon. Ask at the local garage what they do?
Try here http://www.adrad.co.uk/car-radiator/?gc ... tAodPV48Rw
or here http://www.city-radiators.co.uk/
ImageImage