Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mollyjarvis
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

how to fit a servo

Post by mollyjarvis »

i have just fitted a disc conversion the type that keeps the original wheels but i am stuck on how to fit the new sevo that i bought i now about drilling and taping the manifold but would apprciate a bit of advice as i have looked on you tube and google to no aval thanks chris
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: how to fit a servo

Post by bmcecosse »

One of the snags of fitting the discs...... have you taken the top-hat seal out of the master cylinder?? This is essential to stop the brakes dragging all the time.
Servo needs to be mounted slightly nose up - and yes you need a vacuum take off. Make sure you don't let swarf get into the inlet manifold - best remove it and do the drill/tap on the bench. You also need to blank off the connection from the master cylinder to the rear brakes, and run a pipe forward from the rears to the front - join that to the front brake supply and plumb them together into the outlet from the servo. Then plumb the front outlet from the master cylinder to the input on the servo. And bleed the whole lot through..... It's all quite a job. Not worth while in my opinion - but each to their own!
ImageImage
mollyjarvis
Minor Friendly

Post by mollyjarvis »

thanks for advice would it be possible for a couple of photos or drawing to make it clearer thanks chris
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I'm sure someone will have pics - did the servo not come with instructions?
ImageImage
mollyjarvis
Minor Friendly

Post by mollyjarvis »

bmcecosse wrote:I'm sure someone will have pics - did the servo not come with instructions?
yes but they are for any car pictures make things a lot easier thanks chris
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The only slight complication on the Minor is the way the rear brakes are fed from a separate port at the rear of the master cylinder. This has to be blocked off, and the front and rear brakes grouped together and then supplied through the servo. Otherwise - it's just a standard installation. Also - because of the low mounted master cylinder, it's wise to keep the servo as low as possible to minimise potential air-bubble problems in the pipework. Do you NEED the servo? Are the brakes hopeless without it ??
ImageImage
mollyjarvis
Minor Friendly

Post by mollyjarvis »

bmcecosse wrote:The only slight complication on the Minor is the way the rear brakes are fed from a separate port at the rear of the master cylinder. This has to be blocked off, and the front and rear brakes grouped together and then supplied through the servo. Otherwise - it's just a standard installation. Also - because of the low mounted master cylinder, it's wise to keep the servo as low as possible to minimise potential air-bubble problems in the pipework. Do you NEED the servo? Are the brakes hopeless without it ??
just tested brakes much better than drums would you blank off rear port with bleed screw nipple thanks chris
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

As stated, make sure you have removed the mc top hat seal regardless. Then whilst at it, plug the rear takeoff from the mc with an appropriate bolt. Run the side entry (front brakes) to the servo inlet. Pipe from servo out-let to a new 3 way connector. One to rear brakes (joins flexi) and one to the front 3 way (4 way if include pressure switch) be warned that there a couple of dofferent threads in the brake system and you need to check first. Sure one of the minor suppliers will supply you with all the required needed pipework.
___Anne___

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Bleed screw nipple is fine - if you have the correct thread. I 'think' it is 3/8" BSF. But as above - check carefully.
ImageImage
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

I have a 1098 manifold all set up for a servo its all drilled and currently has a bolt in it, its on the For sale pages but would exchange for a working starter motor

E mail for images etc.....
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

mollyjarvis
Minor Friendly

Post by mollyjarvis »

Alex'n'Ane wrote:As stated, make sure you have removed the mc top hat seal regardless. Then whilst at it, plug the rear takeoff from the mc with an appropriate bolt. Run the side entry (front brakes) to the servo inlet. Pipe from servo out-let to a new 3 way connector. One to rear brakes (joins flexi) and one to the front 3 way (4 way if include pressure switch) be warned that there a couple of dofferent threads in the brake system and you need to check first. Sure one of the minor suppliers will supply you with all the required needed pipework.
thanks for the info chris
mollyjarvis
Minor Friendly

Post by mollyjarvis »

bmcecosse wrote:Bleed screw nipple is fine - if you have the correct thread. I 'think' it is 3/8" BSF. But as above - check carefully.
thanks, chris
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The other brake connections on the Minor are 3/8" UNF - the two thread forms must NOT be mixed up!
ImageImage
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Manifold no good to you then?
Russell Harvey

mollyjarvis
Minor Friendly

Post by mollyjarvis »

RussLCV wrote:Manifold no good to you then?
sorry been busy do you have the adaptor to go with it as i bought one and my thead might not be the same thanks ,chris
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

what size thread do you have will check for you
Russell Harvey

mollyjarvis
Minor Friendly