Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rust bucket
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Welding

Post by Rust bucket »

Hi, just bought a 64 minor which has got a lot of rot, however I would say half the panels that needed too be replaced have been, incuding inner rear wheel arches, rear end repaired including floor pans but these all need finishing.

I have used a arc welder for years and just bought an accessory for it called a sticher, hopefully I can use it on the car, is there a member who does mobile welding for a living?.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Welding

Post by simmitc »

Hi, welcome to the forum. Can you edit your profile to include your location. That way, if there is someone available, they will know whether it's worth contacting you - no point if they're near Lands End and your North of Edinburgh! Even if no club member can help, "good old yellow pages" will usually do the job - but ask for references.
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Sorry , forgot to put location it's about mile from Oxford city centre.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Keep your eyes open for a MIG welder and keep in your local landlords good books as you can use their CO2 bottles with it.
Welding forums or advice from here will point you to a good make.
Arc is generally too much for thinner metal and if the stitcher is anything like the attachments for various tools I've bought over the years it won't live up to the advertisements!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

I've got one of those attachments, and I'm sorry to say it's complete rubbish! At least it was when I used it with a standard air-cooled AC arc welder of ~45V OCV. I think it uses a diode acting as a half-wave rectifier to halve the current available, and also a coil to vibrate the rod slightly. However the net effect is to make it very difficult to strike and maintain an arc at low amps, prompting you to turn the current up which takes you back to square one! Personally I found it easier to weld without it, even on thin material. It might be better on something like an Oxford oil-cooled welder which have 80V settings - may make striking and maintaining an arc easier on low current settings.

Much better to buy a decent MIG welder, which is a much more suitable machine for car bodywork. http://www.mig-welding.co.uk is an excellent website for all things welding, with some excellent guides and tutorials.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Thanks for the advice, trouble is I had a Clark gas Mig in the past, could not get on with it at all, oh well I will try with the stitcher or buy good Mig of some sort.