"Traveller Wood is Structural" .. True or Bluff ?

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
melanddoug
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

"Traveller Wood is Structural" .. True or Bluff ?

Post by melanddoug »

Hi

I have read many times that "Traveller wood is structural". However I've also read that it's semi structural ,and that it's only structural in that it holds the glass and door on, and heard from people in the trade that it has to hang together only so that it doens't move against itself (ie it's not about to fall apart).

I'm no engineer, but if you look at the design, there's no real diagonal- beam strength from one corner to another and BMC missed an oportunity to put a beam from the top of the rear inner wing to the B post to stiffen it the body, so if the car wanted to flex in the middle, it could break and hinge around the joints at the various corners. The only bit of panelling which might take any weight/tension is the aluminium panel in front of the rear wheel, but it's only a bit of aluminium sheet ..

Saying that, popular opinion is that it's structural, but it seems to be an opinion gathered from folklore.

What say you ?

hint : If you think it's structural, please say why. thanks.
Alec
Minor Legend

Re: "Traveller Wood is Structural" .. True or Bluff ?

Post by Alec »

Hello Melandoug,

yes it is structural albeit not the stiffest, particularly in torsion.
You say the panels are only aluminium but they are attached to the frame and support all the joints.

Alec
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Most definitely structural!! Unlike the early Mini Countryman (sometimes also called the Traveller) where the wooden panels are just cosmetic, the rear frame of the Traveller is an integral part of the car and whilst it may not be as strong as the saloons, the frame provides some rigidity. As already noted, it isn't the strongest design but with the roof and side panels in place and the frame bolted securely to the B posts and cab roof, together with the various joints and plates which are hidden from view, it offers quite a lot of strength.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It absolutely is structural - without it the rear of the shell is just a flappy mess.
ImageImage
melanddoug
Minor Fan

Post by melanddoug »

Righto ! thanks people.

although I have seen a few pickups made out of Travllers whcih is interesting. I guess they must have had other strengthening.

d