Socket sets

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Socket sets

Post by 1098 »

Can anyone advise on what best socket sets to buy,suppliers as well. AF, BSF etc ?

Thanks.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Socket sets

Post by mogbob »

Hi
The Morris unfortunately needs a mixture of Whitworth and AF sockets/ spanners.The AFs are mainly for the engine/ gearbox
stuff.Warning.. there are some one off... large size sockets you will need for the steering wheel and rear hub nuts.if you are heading down the restoration route.
In the Mechanical section of the Forum, top sticky entry is " Spanner Sizes ".This will tell you the range you need.

Are you aiming for General maintainence or full blown restoration comprehensive kit ? Money no object for top quality equipment or the other end of the scale...virtually no budget ?

Searching on Amazon or general Internet searches on "AF Socket sets " and " Whitworth socket sets " and ditto the two spanner types will give you an idea of price ranges.Don't forget, if time is on your side ,then you can often pick up good second hand items at Autojumbles.That's either the set or make up your own kit from individual items.

Every Mechanic has his/ her own preferences but look out for well known names at the Autojumbles.King Dick Gedore,Snap On,Teng,Britool,Facom,Elora,Koken,Laser,Draper,Silverline.
When examining the individual spanners you might come across engraved numbers or letters, signifying that they were part of a set ,either in an Engineering shop or Garage.Translated ? It means that they were likely to be better quality to start with !!
BUT that does mean that they haven't been abused in their lives, so still inspect thoroughly !!
Good hunting for a bargin.
Bob
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

Thanks Bob, that's a great help.

:D
pfgiz
Minor Addict

Post by pfgiz »

If you have the money and want to invest in a single socket set one name to look out for is Metrinch. They are sold by RS and don't come cheep. I was bought one a number of years ago and it has given me faultless service ever since. It uses rounded edge sockets and spanners to grip the nut / bolt by the side and not the points therefore one size can fit the metric / AF / BSF / etc.... Great for when the corners have been rounded off but can be frustrating if the movement of the socket / spanner to get a grip on the nut is larger than the area you have to work in. This has happened to me a few times and is usually when I revert back to a standard socket. Other than that the set is priceless, loads of sizes with deep sockets available too, easily the most used tool in my garage.
Peter Gisby.

millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by millerman »

Halfords professional tools probably as good as most :D
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

Thanks again for your advice eveyone.

Josh.
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Millerman,

"Halfords professional tools probably as good as most"

Yes, good quality but they now don't seem to stock imperial stuff any longer?

Alec
hoseman
Minor Friendly

Post by hoseman »

YOU WILL BE SURPRISED WHAT YOU CAN FIND AT CAR BOOT SALES, INDUSTRIAL AUCTIONS, E BAY, FARM AUCTIONS ETC. EVEN SOME SUNDAY MARKETS HAVE A TOOL SELLER WHO DEALS IN OLDER SECOND HAND STUFF. IDEAL FOR STILLIES AND VICES!! MAKE A LIST OF WHAT SIZES YOU NEED AND KEEP IT WITH YOU. SOME SECOND HAND SHOPS ALSO DEAL IN TOOLS ETC
BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

hoseman wrote:YOU WILL BE SURPRISED WHAT YOU CAN FIND AT CAR BOOT SALES, INDUSTRIAL AUCTIONS, E BAY, FARM AUCTIONS ETC. EVEN SOME SUNDAY MARKETS HAVE A TOOL SELLER WHO DEALS IN OLDER SECOND HAND STUFF. IDEAL FOR STILLIES AND VICES!! MAKE A LIST OF WHAT SIZES YOU NEED AND KEEP IT WITH YOU. SOME SECOND HAND SHOPS ALSO DEAL IN TOOLS ETC
Agreed. You can't beat the joy of seeing and handling the object, then the seller says '£2' for a U.S made, 60 year old adjustable spanner with no play in it. Great stuff.
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

Thanks for all the help. Does anyone know what size socket I need to remove the rear hub nut ? Looks like I have a rear oil seal problem, shoes covered in oil.

:(
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Check out the " Sticky" at the top of the Mechanical section for " spanner sizes " . mentioned in my first reply.

" Brand new " a socket of this size doesn't come cheap, so ..... post a request to see if someone in the club can loan you one, until such time as you can find a decent second hand socket.
Posting your " location " will let people know if you are local to them.
Bob
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

Thanks Bob, not too sure about his description of the size, I did look.
Thanks again. Manchester area. My Dad has given me one of his vans ! It needs plenty of work, but the chassis is excellent.
All a learning curve for me. Not into welding..it needs work on the floor, nothing major,more underneath stuff. Sorry don't know the names of the panels, but soon will I guess. Looking for someone to do the repairs.
:)[frame]Image[/frame]
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

A search on the Forum ( box top right ) under "Hub Nut Removal problems " will lead you to a post 14.6.11 guymcc
It lists the alternative sizes and methods employed.
I suggest you raise seperate new posts for your requests.1 loan of hub socket 2 welding.... otherwise it simply gets lost.
Forum users will look at the " subject" if they are interested.If you go to your user control panel on the Forum you can edit / insert your location
Bob
Last edited by mogbob on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

Thanks Bob, this is a very helpful site.