Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rust bucket
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Bumpers

Post by Rust bucket »

Hi all, I have got a set of wide steels for my car but when it's finished, I don't want to run around with a set of bumpers on it,..
looks too twee for me.

My question is do I have to fit them for the MOT?
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Bumpers

Post by IaininTenbury »

Not a req for the MOT, but you'll probably have to take the mountings off too as they could be classed as a sharp edge which you could catch yourself on. Best to ask your MOT tester, or no doubt someone with experience of this will be on soon. I've had ones tested with no front bumpers, but I think he just assumed I'd be fitting one at some stage and let it go... :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

No not a requirment for MoT but you must not have sharp or protruding edges which could cause harm. However you could come unstuck with your insurance at the time of an accident, as the name suggests bumpers are designed to deflect bumps knocks away from the body thus reducing damage to body. If not fitted the insurance company could void your insurance. Also consider the boys in blue bumpers on a vehicle come under the vehicle construction and use regulations therefore if an item was fitted to the vehicle as original construction specifcation (not optional extras) then said item or equivalent must be fitted. It could seen by the police as a moving traffic offence for not complying with vehicle construction and use regulations.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

" but you must not have sharp or protruding edges which could cause harm " which is exactly my point when I decry the silly headlamp hoods......
ImageImage
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Ok, thanks for the feedback all, there are no bumper irons on the back anyway but I need a towbar so that will do for a bumper, one front iron is falling off, i'll weld it back on then make up a tubular bar from steel pipe to go beteen the two, I agree about the headlamp eyelids, naff.
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

Agreed BM, Sharp and Protruding edges came in, under a change in the Construction and use Regulations ammendment 1975 Originaly banning the twin sided front number plate on motorcycles. the type that was fitted length wise on your front mud gaurd. but soon emcompassed all types of vehicle addornment which could cause harm or serious injury. Head light peaks could cost you 3 points and Sixty Quid ( DANGEROUS AND OR PROTRUDING OBJECT ). Which is why the MoT Regs are an a*s*e, they cover things in general only.