What the heck was that!

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Daisy1965
MMOC Member: No

What the heck was that!

Post by Daisy1965 »

I was driving down the road, all of a sudden there was a loud bang, sounded like I had gone over a pot hole, got out to check, everything looked fine, no pothole in sight. Got back in the car put her into gear went about 2 foot another bang. checked again couldn't see anything obvious. Got back in, started her up put her in gear, but she wouldn't move. Engine just revved in gear. please can anyone tell me what it may be. I got towed home in what I can only describe as a very traumatic experience.(first time I have ever been towed, with my dodgy brakes) I have a 1965 Morris 1000 if that helps. :cry:
tomas.geoghegan
Minor Fan

Re: What the heck was that!

Post by tomas.geoghegan »

I had a half shaft go on me with a bang once?
Tomas

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If the speedo reads - but the car doesn't move - then it's a half shaft/broken diff. Or prop shaft broken - but that would be obvious since it would be hanging down..... If the speedo does not move then it could be broken clutch plate or something let go inside the gearbox.
ImageImage
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

Daisy1965 wrote:...I got towed home in what I can only describe as a very traumatic experience.(first time I have ever been towed, with my dodgy brakes) :cry:
Why were you driving it with dodgy brakes in the first place? There's a certain poetic justice in breaking down - perhaps it saved you causing an accident, and having an even more traumatic experience.

Kevin
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If it was a professional tow - it should have been on a fixed tow pole - brakes not necessary.
ImageImage
fussyoldfart
Minor Fan

Post by fussyoldfart »

Daisy1965 wrote:I was driving down the road, all of a sudden there was a loud bang, sounded like I had gone over a pot hole, got out to check, everything looked fine, no pothole in sight. Got back in the car put her into gear went about 2 foot another bang. checked again couldn't see anything obvious. Got back in, started her up put her in gear, but she wouldn't move. Engine just revved in gear. please can anyone tell me what it may be. I got towed home in what I can only describe as a very traumatic experience.(first time I have ever been towed, with my dodgy brakes) I have a 1965 Morris 1000 if that helps. :cry:
The last time that happened to me it was the gearbox layshaft and I had four speeds in neutral! That was an early Minor 1000, before the ribbed case.
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.

Daisy1965

Post by Daisy1965 »

Thank you all for your responses I am going to get good ol' Kev to look at it (my local classic car mechanic).

with reference to the brakes, I meant they were dodgy as in normal brakes for a '65 not these modern hydraulic put your little toe on it and go flying through the windscreen types,I wouldn't risk it otherwise. :oops:

Didn't get a professional tow but they did have a tow pole, couldn't find anywhere to attach it though so was a bit of a makeshift attempt with a chain and padlock also. Just the first time I had ever been towed in any capacity and I felt like I needed to brake all the time regardless of the fact that I didn't ( I am a blonde lol)
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

Three points about being towed emerge from this, and may be useful to others who have never experienced it.

Firstly, the tow-er and towee need a clear understanding about braking. The towing driver should never apply his brakes, except for a real emergency or to avoid rolling back when stationary; the towed car should brake for both cars, which keeps the rope taut at all times. This does need plenty of anticipation and the willingness to apply and release the brakes gently. There's no need to touch the brakes running at steady speed on a level road.

Secondly, if you have to be towed in a car with a brake servo, have the engine running if possible, or you may get two or three normal brake applications then no assistance - which will seem terrifying if you're not expecting it to happen. Discovering that your power steering only works with the engine running is even worse.

But worst of all is forgetting to release the steering lock on the car being towed.

Kevin
tomas.geoghegan
Minor Fan

Post by tomas.geoghegan »

tomas.geoghegan wrote:I had a half shaft go on me with a bang once?
Tomas
Yes what the heck was it ????? Would really be intrested to know????
Was it as i surgested a Half shaft!
Cheers Tomas

Daisy1965

Post by Daisy1965 »

Just found out (Kev is a hard man to get hold of) it is the rear axle so I am now on the look out for a cheap one. hopefully she will be back on the road soon. Thanks everyone for your comments.
David53
Minor Addict

Post by David53 »

So was it a half shaft? These are not expensive, plenty around 2nd hand
[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Daisy,if you find out what side the halfshaft broke from your mechanic you can post up a request foragood secondhand one in the 'Wanted' section.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You don't need a whole 'rear axle' - just a half shaft!!
ImageImage
pfgiz
Minor Addict

Post by pfgiz »

Hi,

I have an axel, surplus, in the shed. Complete unit, diff and halfshafts. It's been stripped so if you can get an idea as to which bit you want, diff or half-shafts, then come and get them.....

Point to mention here it's a 948 diff so won't give you a great cruse on the motor way, but it is free from whine as was on the Traveller until I swapped it out a year ago.

Let me know what you need, I'd say pick it up but not sure where your from as no location information is available....
Peter Gisby.