windscreen rubber

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnno
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

windscreen rubber

Post by Johnno »

Hi all,can anyone tell me the best place to get a front screen rubber?
Just got one from a dealer but it is too large and the `seam` is off centre.I am contacting them tomorrow to see what they say.When the glass is fitted on the bench there is a gap of approx 1 1/2 inches where the two screens are supposed to meet in the middle!Anyone else had this problem?
Thanks,John.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: windscreen rubber

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

The one I used on the traveller was from Bull Motif and seemed to be quite a good fit.

Too many Minors so little time.....
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Thanks David,I`ll keep you posted on the outcome of this particular rubber.(and where it came from if no satisfactory outcome)
Annie_1952
Minor Friendly

Post by Annie_1952 »

Please do keep the forum updated.
It's not going to be long before mine is replaced and would be very interested to know how well yours goes. I have a spare left and right screen upstairs if needed but would rather get it right first time.
Thanks
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Annie,I have returned the rubber to the suplier,with photo`s showing the 1 1/2 gap where the glass is supposed to meet.
I await their reply.
John.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I've experienced quite a few poor fitting/quality parts recently from a regular supplier (considering going elsewhere now). I guess that quality control is not what it used to be. I really think that suppliers should test fit parts on a regular basis to ensure a correct fit.
I'll be interested to hear an outcome too as I've to purchase a full set of rubbers for my mm project in the next few months. I certainly know that the glass space in the rear side window rubbers on ones I fitted a while back were huge - resulting in loads of sealant. They should be a tight fit.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

don't think it matters where you get spares from,they all come from the same remanufactors probably in china so they are all the same poor quality,don;t think we should criticise the traders,its out of their hands,just have to make the best of a bad job.Only chance is new old stock,if you can find it,I rued the day whan I cut the screen rubbers out of my splitty 10 years ago to do a respray.should have salvaged it ,cos it was far better than the two other NEW ones I tried to fit.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

If the traders stopped buying and supplying the rubbish then things may improve. I really do think that parts should be fit for purpose, and part of this is down to the traders to react.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

yes but then the car might be off the road for months or years if the rubbish part was unavailable,not long ago trunnions and legs were unavailable and caused quite a bit of bother.
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Mmm,I run classic bikes as well and can assure you that this problem is rife.We appreciate the fact that they take the trouble to make the parts but why not make them properly!It`s just as easy to make correct bits as incorrect.Why does this happen?
It must be the responsibility of the seller to make sure that parts FIT!Apathy rules.
On the rubber front,the rubber was exchanged for a different which seems a lot better.Not attempted to fit yet but am confident now.
On the downside,no note of apology or explanation,,,,,,,,or refund of return postage!!
Annie_1952
Minor Friendly

Post by Annie_1952 »

Johnno wrote:Mmm,I run classic bikes as well and can assure you that this problem is rife.We appreciate the fact that they take the trouble to make the parts but why not make them properly!It`s just as easy to make correct bits as incorrect.Why does this happen?
It must be the responsibility of the seller to make sure that parts FIT!Apathy rules.
On the rubber front,the rubber was exchanged for a different which seems a lot better.Not attempted to fit yet but am confident now.
On the downside,no note of apology or explanation,,,,,,,,or refund of return postage!!
I think that's as annoying in itself. What would it take to include an explanation or note of apology for any inconvenience caused! If they had included a note I'm sure it would have eased the mood a bit.
Good old customer service goes a long way especially in todays market where it is sadly lacking!
Please let us know how you get on with replacement rubber!
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Mmm,just read a post from Kennat who seems to have fitted his screen in a different way!
He put the rubber in the frame first and then the glass.Has anyone tried this way?
I am still feeling nervous about tying it at all!
Cheers guys.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

yes twice, singlehanded,but it relies on you having straps to slowly separate the glasses,so that you can fit the centre section, Roof rack straps,(Four to even out the load)with the locking buckle,work a treat plus a good hair dryier to soften the rubber so that the glasses slide outwards.it wasn't my idea, remember reading on here, that somone else had done it that way,and tried it myself.Just ease them outwards,a bit at a time,I did mine over two days,a bit the first day then locked off the straps and left it overnight then the rest of the way the next morning.Actually its three times,the second time I fitted laminated glass,but found that the fit was worse than the old toughened,so took them out and fitted better secondhand glass. Bet they are a bit hard to find now.
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Thanks for that.Just one question,,,,,is the glass fitted from the ouside or in and did you use any lube?That`s two questions but still,any help is very much appreciated.My rubber came from Bull Motif(eventually) and I am still very wary of fitting the glass.
All the best,John
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

put sealer round frame,soap(not washing up liquid,too much salt in it) on glass , rubber onto frame and then glass into rubber from outside,you will find that the glasses just overlap,just,GENTLY prise them apart you can do this just by finger pressure,and slide the sraps in between and round the window frame.Then carry one as in the original posting.It does work so long as you don't need the job finished there and then. Its suprising how far the glasses spread after leaving overnight..The first time I left the straps in place then fitted the centre and cut the sraps with a stanley knife,the other times there was enough time to fit the central rubber section to stop the glasses from sliding back together after the straps were removed. Once thats in the glasses stay where they are and you can fit the outer and inner bits with plenty of sealer.Good luck