Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rogerowen
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Grumpy's Car Roller

Post by rogerowen »

There's a Grumpy's car roller on Ebay at the moment that seems to have some kind of ladder included, anyone got an idea what this is for? Not sure I'll be bidding as it's getting a lot of attention and will probably go way past my budget.[frame]Image[/frame]
That's strange R2, the damage doesn't look so bad from here!
foofoournan
Minor Friendly

Re: Grumpy's Car Roller

Post by foofoournan »

It's so when the cars rolled over u can clime up and get in to the car if u fancy having a sideways drive :)

My 1960 Morris Minor.
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

Very lateral thinking! But surely Health & Safety would have a field day, no wonder they don't make them anymore!
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unused-Grumpy ... 35c0f87817

I can't remember what I paid for mine... but it wouldn't have been that much!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

What exactly is "Grumpy's" I notice the top engine stabilser is sometimes called grumpy's now this rollover jig?
Can someone explain this

Thanks

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Grumpys or Mr Grumpy's was a Yorkshire based (Todmorton I think) morris minor supplier who also manufactured minor modifications (early anti roll bar, roll over bar to name a few) He retired and most of his stock was taken by ESM. Some o f their stock is still known as a "Grumps XYZ".

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

Thanks!
That's the new thing I learned today

rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

drivewasher wrote:What exactly is "Grumpy's" I notice the top engine stabilser is sometimes called grumpy's now this rollover jig?
Can someone explain this

Thanks
Hi, You might find this interesting. There is a PDF file of the original instruction leaflet at;

http://www.mycitroen.dk/library/ds/red/ ... Roller.pdf

I wish someone could re-manufacture this rig (for its old price that is!) Still no idea what the ladder is for, it's painted the same colour as the rest of the rig. In the instructions it says to allow 12 foot to roll the car but I can't see why this much space is needed (my garage is about 9' wide - looks to me that it could be achieved in less (but I suppose it would be a bit embarrassing if the car roof banged into the garage wall). It seems you were able to purchase some wheels so the car could be rolled over outside then wheeled into the garage. I've seen a few rigs offered second hand - but not seen one with wheels as yet. Love to hear tips from anyone that has used one.

Cheers,

Roger
a8pte
Minor Fan

Post by a8pte »

anyone looking for a very strong car roller i know of one for sale this man made one for me and it was excellent he has one more at home email derek 3663 .
mattsdad

Post by mattsdad »

Before he was in Yorkshire, Mr Grumpy was based near Oxford - North Hinksey if I remember. I bought one of these rollers many years ago and it gets occasional use. I have a set of wire wheel adaptors, but not the rollers. You have to be careful when using it on a smooth floor as it tends to try and slide away from you when you roll the car. I reckon its safer to use an engine crane for the lift and then secure with the uprights. I always wedge a stout pice of timber diagonally as belt and braces security.
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

mattsdad wrote:Before he was in Yorkshire, Mr Grumpy was based near Oxford - North Hinksey if I remember. I bought one of these rollers many years ago and it gets occasional use. I have a set of wire wheel adaptors, but not the rollers. You have to be careful when using it on a smooth floor as it tends to try and slide away from you when you roll the car. I reckon its safer to use an engine crane for the lift and then secure with the uprights. I always wedge a stout pice of timber diagonally as belt and braces security.
Useful tip, thanks. Would the crane need to be fixed to any particular part of the car or does it attach to the jig somewhere?
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

The original roll over jig attaches to the axles of the car. It is possible to roll the car on the jib in a 9' garage.

Attach it to jig and then (with assistance) roll it half way, lock it in position, and then slide the jig across the floor. You can then unlock the car and roll the jig so that the car's on it's side. Fiddly but it can be done.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

Good advice, thanks. Obviously - battery out, engine/gearbox & axle oil out and probably hydraulic fluid too?

Another question - does the rig attach to the hubs just by wheel nuts or should there be a plate of some discription to spread the load?
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

It attaches by wheel nuts only.

I left all the fluids in mine (except engine oil) when I rolled it. I even left the battery in place
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

Managed to aquire a Grumpy's body roller for £50. Very happy bunny!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I left all the fluids in mine (except engine oil) when I rolled it. I even left the battery in place
:roll:

If it's being left on the roller (or even if it's a quick job), you would be best placed to drain engine oil, rear axle oil, remove battery and block the pin hole in brake reservoir.

Battery acid makes a terrific mess if it gets in the wrong place and they have a breather...
The gearbox doesn't really have a breather as the stick interface will breath - and fairly unlikely to leak.
You stand good chance of getting axle oil onto the lower rear brake - especially if/when the hub flexes with the weioght of the car on it, therefore remove brake shoes and drain the axle unless you don't mid the potential puddle on the floor.
The brake fluid could in theory leak from the reservoir cap - not that I've ever noticed, so that's belt and braces.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

Excellent advice - thanks. I now have a £50 'Grumpy's' roller. but missing the top bar that keeps the rollers in place. It looks to me as if it should be a square section iron of 18mm x about 9 foot. Anyone confirm?

Cheers,

Roger
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

Unlikely to be iron, or square bar. I used a length of steel channel section, around 1" x 1", iirc, because I happened to have a length lying around, but if I had to buy new I'd probably go for square hollow section steel, 20mm x 20mm x 2mm being a common size. I'd mackle the clamps to fit whatever I could get easily. Such a slender section can't be under a great deal of load in bending or compression, so I'd suggest that anything from that size upwards would be fine. If you're going to the Classic Motor Show at the NEC this weekend, see what CJ Autos use on their current production. I asume they'll be there - they usually seem to be.

I'm wary of the advice about turning a car in a narrow garage by relying on sliding it sideways half way through the process. Keep thinking what you'd get crushed against if anything slipped or broke, or if one of your trusted helpers suddenly let go.

Kevin
rogerowen
Minor Addict

Post by rogerowen »

Thanks Kevin, I'll see what I can find scrap wise. Not sure I'd be able to fit much bigger than 18mm - I've measured the gap between the offset clamp bolt holes to 18mm as best I can. I don't think there is much loading, more for just keeping the rollers at a straight angle. My trusted helpers will be a boat builder and a civil engineer (I'll probably just be making the tea!), but it still might be an intersting moment - as will getting the car back over again and then turning to get to any bits on the other side. Think we'll video the progress for prosperity (and hopefully not a 'Youv'e Been Framed Moment!)

Cheers,

Roger
wilfred

Post by wilfred »

Just out of interest, how much headroom would be required in the garage to allow the car to be rolled over?