Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Lewisd
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Hazard lights?

Post by Lewisd »

After breaking down a few times on dark unlit roads :( I have decided that I want to fit Hazard lights to my Minor.
I already have indicators fitted so was wondering if there is a simple way of wiring a hazard relay to these. I already have a rough idea of what to do wiring wise but I'm unsure of exactly which hazard relay would work best (Give the correct speed of flashing).
Can anyone help me out?
Cheers,
Lewis
-------------
1954 4-Door

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: Hazard lights?

Post by chrisryder »

The usual suppliers sell kits to give you hazard lights.

Only a few wires (6 if I recall).

The trick is having it so that when you switch the hazards on, it disables the indicators. Otherwise you'd get back feeding and much confusion. This is taken care of by the kit (hence the extra wires).

Wires:
Live feed from battery (better to be permanent live so that you can put them on with the engine off)
Earth
Flash feed to left indicators
Flash feed to right indicators
And a pair of wires which make and break the live feed to the standard indicator flasher (to disable indicators when hazards are on)

Fitted mine in an evening

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Also the standard flasher unit operates 2 x 21w + 3w; the unit in the kit operates 4 x 21 + 3. As above, the kit is simple to fit and incorporates the necessary switching and flasher, so just order one.
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

I wired mine up, based on this wiring diagram from a Marina workshop manual, using a hazard light switch from a Mini. The Mini switch, when operated, disconnects the indicator circuit and connects the hazard circuit.
[frame]Image[/frame]
Due to the type of relay I used I have the warning light running off the switch terminal "4." The indicators are fed from an ignition switched fuse, as normal, and the hazards from an always on fuse.

onion
Minor Friendly

Post by onion »

The way I did it probably isn't the best way about it, but here goes anyway:

As I didn't want to pay the £84 to the usuals, for something that seemed so straight forward.

I wired an illuminated switch between the left and right terminals on the indicator, and replaced the standard 3 terminal flasher unit with one rated for hazard usage, and fused it to the non-ignition side.

Total cost: £15

Only downside is I have to switch on the indicator, and pull the hazard switch. Though to be honest, its not that much more effort.

I'm sure someone will tell me that'll set fire to my car, or something. But if it will, I should probably hear that now than find out the hard way...
Trudy, my '56 Series II

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you really MUST have useless hazards - then something like that ^^^ is fine. But how it cost anything like £15 is a mystery...... :lol: And of course there is the risk of leaving the indicators winking away when you switch off the ignition.
ImageImage
onion
Minor Friendly

Post by onion »

they work fine though :(

Illuminated switch: £9:40
Combined flasher and hazard:£6.60

Sorry, it was £16, not £15.

No more careful than making sure you've not left your normal lights on, surely?
Trudy, my '56 Series II

Lewisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Lewisd »

Could someone point me in the direction of one of these combined flasher and hazard relay's please?
Don't want to end up wasting money on the wrong thing :/
Thanks,
Lewis
Lewis
-------------
1954 4-Door

lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Hazards are supposed to flash with the ignition off
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Lewisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Lewisd »

onion wrote:
Illuminated switch: £9:40
Combined flasher and hazard:£6.60

Sorry, it was £16, not £15.
Sorry meant the one Onion mentioned "Combined flasher and hazard" Would rather do it on the cheap as £70 seem an awful lot for a bit of wiring and a switch/relay.

Thanks,
Lewis
Lewis
-------------
1954 4-Door

onion
Minor Friendly

Post by onion »

Lewisd wrote: Sorry meant the one Onion mentioned "Combined flasher and hazard" Would rather do it on the cheap as £70 seem an awful lot for a bit of wiring and a switch/relay.

Thanks,
Lewis
http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 9f0ef17114 is the one I used :)
Trudy, my '56 Series II

Lewisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Lewisd »

Thanks for the help.
Will get the parts soon and fit over christmas.
Lewis
Lewis
-------------
1954 4-Door

M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

You can get all in one relay/switch/warning lights other than the lucas ones. I have one similar in style to this type for a vw. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181041800219? ... 1438.l2649 Don't know if this one would fit though.
Lewisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Lewisd »

Thanks everyone for the help finally got round to doing the hazard lights today :D
They work perfectly and I thought I would include a little diagram of how I did it just incase it helps anyone else.
I used the method which Onion described, Firstly I replaced the standard flasher unit with one which is rated for use with hazard lights
Found Here: http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 9f0ef17114

Once that was fitted it is just a case of fitting a switch which would cross the left and right hand indicator circuits together so that when the switch is operated power is sent to all four corners of the car. I used a toggle switch I had lying around but any switch will do
http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 9f0ef17114

Finally all you need to do is wire the switch between the left and right hand contacts on the indicator switch and it should be fully working. This method does require the ignition to be on and you to turn both the hazard light switch and indicator switch on for it to work which I believe will not pass an MOT but it works for me and is far safer when I end up breaking down on a busy road.
Here is a little diagram I made up and I hope this helps someone out :)
[frame]Image[/frame]
Cheers,
Lewis
Lewis
-------------
1954 4-Door

drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

Lewisd wrote:Thanks everyone for the help finally got round to doing the hazard lights today :D
They work perfectly and I thought I would include a little diagram of how I did it just incase it helps anyone else.
I used the method which Onion described, Firstly I replaced the standard flasher unit with one which is rated for use with hazard lights
Found Here: http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 9f0ef17114

Once that was fitted it is just a case of fitting a switch which would cross the left and right hand indicator circuits together so that when the switch is operated power is sent to all four corners of the car. I used a toggle switch I had lying around but any switch will do
http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 9f0ef17114

Finally all you need to do is wire the switch between the left and right hand contacts on the indicator switch and it should be fully working. This method does require the ignition to be on and you to turn both the hazard light switch and indicator switch on for it to work which I believe will not pass an MOT but it works for me and is far safer when I end up breaking down on a busy road.
Here is a little diagram I made up and I hope this helps someone out :)
[frame]Image[/frame]
Cheers,
Lewis

This method would result in an MoT fail. The hazzards MUST work with ignition in the on AND the off position, this will be tested as it's the "method of Inspection" (MOI) also they must work with only 1 switch and NOT 2 as tou have it now.

Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Moss do a hazard kit, and a free fitting instruction set. http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/graphics/u ... GSS159.pdf

As stated it will fail an mot if the circuit does not work with the ignition off.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

bmcecosse wrote:If you really MUST have useless hazards -
I found them anything but useless when THE COIL packed up on an unlit main road last week
[sig]3580[/sig]
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

The MOT requirements falls into the catagery that if fitted they must work - from the MOT Inspection Manual:

'Hazard warning devices are not required on vehicles first used before 1 April 1986, but if one is fitted it must be tested.'

B. Hazard Warning Device
1. Check that the hazard warning device:
a. is fitted (where required)
b. is working
c. operates using only one switch
d. switch for presence, security and operation
e. ‘tell-tale’ is working correctly
f. operates all the direction indicators simultaneously with the ignition switched both on and off.

There have been a number of occasions that I have found them very useful, and would certainly not be without them.
Richard

onion
Minor Friendly

Post by onion »

IslipMinor wrote:The MOT requirements falls into the catagery that if fitted they must work - from the MOT Inspection Manual:

'Hazard warning devices are not required on vehicles first used before 1 April 1986, but if one is fitted it must be tested.'
The glory of this set up is that it can be taken off in the car park of the MOT center, so they don't even know one was fitted.

And I did switch my indicators onto a non-ignition circuit, so it would have only failed on the 2 switch criteria :P

As you say, I wouldn't want to drive very far without them. Fortunately I haven't had need to use them yet (touch wood), but when I've tested them they are as bright as the standard indicators, and I doubt the proper kit makes them significantly more dazzling.

I'm glad they've worked for you as well, Lewis. Though I would advise detaching them before an MOT, for reasons previously discussed.
Trudy, my '56 Series II