Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
autolycus
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Shiny bits

Post by autolycus »

A new messageboard member (though well-known as a parts supplier) recently overstepped the mark and advertised some new bumpers here. His post was duly moderated to oblivion, which is fair enough, but so were a couple of follow-ups, without the courtesy of a note to the other posters.

So let's try again on the subject of bumpers. The usual suspects sell them for just over £100, and I know it's sometimes said that they're all from the same source. Then there is our forbidden friend, who's selling rear bumpers on ebay in two flavours: "top quality", for £102, and others, "PEREFECT FOR THE EVERY DAY CAR" (sic) for £54, both including delivery. In his banned advert, he also mentioned that his cheapo bumpers were "rough" in places, but suggested this would polish out. Hmmm.

Then Imperial sell them for £40, inc VAT but plus delivery, unless you spend another £20.

My question was, and still is "Has anyone here seen any of these bumpers, or heard anything about them?"

I know I could always take my old one to Derby Plating and get a superb job, but it wouldn't be cheap and I'd need new springs to cope with the weight of copper they'd pile on. Lots of copper isn't always a good thing, as it can alter the shape enough to stop overriders fitting snugly. Talking of which, what are these chrome-plated plastic overriders like?

Kevin
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Shiny bits

Post by mike.perry »

The chrome plastic overriders look nice but are not much good for touch parking (a tow hitch is much better!!)
[sig]3580[/sig]
PaulTubby
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by PaulTubby »

Agree, the plactic chrome overiders are not up to mch to be fair and chip easily.... if you USE you car daily and not just a show car then i would defo get the proper ones as they wont last long the chrome on plastic ones....
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
A few years ago, not long after I'd bought Abby, I spotted some stainless steel bumper blades for a Minor on eBay.
Unfortunately I needed my funds for other things at the time and didn't buy them, I wish I had. Having had stainless steel hubcaps for a few years now I think they shine up just as well as chrome.
Does anyone know if there are any stainless steel bumper blades out there? I haven't seen an advert for them since, nor had any joy looking on the net.
Many thanks,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

are these 54 pound odd bumpers anygood? serioulsy need a pair for my borris
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Kevin, do the right thing and have your old bumpers re-chromed by your local firm. That way you can support British industry and forget about them for another 40 years.

Any other bits and pieces that need doing might be able to go in the tank for not much extra money.
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

I fully accept the points about supporting local businesses and going for the long-term solution, but the last estimate I had from Derby Plating, who are my local outfit, for two bumpers and four overriders on the wedding car, was around £1800. OK, they're bigger than a Moggy's, but even if they charged a quarter of that for one bumper and two overriders it would still come to over four times the price of cheap new bits. I wouldn't dare take it into the Tesco car park! I took a mixed lot of stuff to a place in Hinckley, but the quality of the plating was only fair.

Doesn't look like anyone's going to own up to buying the £40 or £50 ones.

Perhaps I'll wait till I get it on the road and see what else needs doing. Front seats to finish rebuilding and petrol pump to put back together (once BM extract their digit), then suspension check and service, and we'll see if it goes.

Kevin
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Stevey bought one of them at the national for his project car, Andrew was more than happy for us to look at a few of them and pick the one that pleased Stevey the most! It hasnt yet been fitted to the car, its still wrapped up and likely to be for maybe another year.

Too many Minors so little time.....
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Strewth! I knew it wouldn't be cheap but I had no idea it'd be so much. :o
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

After being supplied sub standard blades from ESM (refunded swiftly and when they checked their stock- all were bad) I bought the better quality blades from Birmingham minor centre which were like night and day compared to what esm sent me.
I'm sure ESM (they seemed genuinely disappointed with their supplier) will re-source blades, but if ordering, you must ask them to check them thoroughly before posting - or go and choose yourself.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

As David said, I had a good look at them at national. My rear bumper for the 54 was completely rotten. They looked good and shiney, but some were a bit rough in places to the touch but you couldnt see them even when you looked up close. I picked the best feeling one but they all would have suited me. It wont be on the car for a good bit yet.