Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andy Rose
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Noisy front suspension

Post by Andy Rose »

Hi Guys, Happy Easter to all. Can I ask for some advice please. My van has developed a loud squeak from the drivers side front end. I think it is coming from the top of the trunnion. The bushes look to be in good condition and there is no play in the suspens
ion. I have greased it but it is still noisy..does the grease nipple on the top actually lub the pin and bush? Is there any way of fixing this without replacing the bushes?
Life is better in a Morrie
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Noisy front suspension

Post by bmcecosse »

No - it lubs the thread only. If you have (hopefully) fitted polyurethane bushes - a wipe with 'white' grease is recommended. If still on old rubber bushes - then highly likely they have worn through and now rubbing metal to metal...
ImageImage
Andy Rose
Minor Friendly

Post by Andy Rose »

Thanks for that. I have been reading the thread on fitting the bush so I will give it a go. Don't want any metal to metal contact. I will order a set of polly bushes. Can I just ask if I can leave the damper on and still seperate the pivot pin from the damper arm? I was thinking if I just remove the castelated nut at the damper end of the arm and the pin end of the arm, I could just ease the pin out of the trunnion.??
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - indeed you can - but first take the load of the suspension under the lower arm - raising thendamper arm off the rebound stop slightly.
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Have a look at the eye bolt, looking from the front of the car the nut on the front of the torsion bar should appear more or less central.
If it looks higher than that the bush there has probably expired.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Andy Rose
Minor Friendly

Post by Andy Rose »

MarkyB wrote:Have a look at the eye bolt, looking from the front of the car the nut on the front of the torsion bar should appear more or less central.
If it looks higher than that the bush there has probably expired.
Thanks for all of the advice :D I will have a good look at the Eye bolt in the morning.
TimJNV
Minor Friendly

Post by TimJNV »

We had a van doing that.......... then the whole of the suspension fell apart turning out at a junction :/
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

TimJNV wrote:We had a van doing that.......... then the whole of the suspension fell apart turning out at a junction :/
------I think you'll find that's due to not greasing your trunnions!!
TimJNV
Minor Friendly

Post by TimJNV »

les wrote:
TimJNV wrote:We had a van doing that.......... then the whole of the suspension fell apart turning out at a junction :/
------I think you'll find that's due to not greasing your trunnions!!
Yeah it was :roll: Bits all over the place, I was 12 at the time my dad and grandad where doing most of the work then - learn from the mistakes of others, you will not live long enough to make them all yourself!