Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Biggles1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Howley manifold

Post by Biggles1957 »

Evening chums! What are your thoughts on Howley inlet manifolds? I have one and am wondering if it's worth fitting to Monty (1969 1098cc Traveller) for just a bit more 'oomph'. I have an old inlet/exhaust manifold that I can cut the inlet bit off and make up a plate for the Howley to take my existing carb (it has a 4 stud fixing on the manifold)
Do you think it's worth doing? What about the water Cooling etc.? Thanks a lot, Bob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Howley manifold

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - well worth fitting, but you may as well use a larger 1.5" carb (HS4 or HIF38) to get the best of it. Although it would be interesting to know just how much difference it makes with a standard 1.25" carb. Don't connect the water heating...........
ImageImage
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Thanks BMC! What do you think about the exhaust manifold? Just chop off the inlet bit (I have a spare) or try to find a three branch one?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Chop off the inlet works well enough and allows you to use your existing exhaust system. You can add a 3 branch later. When I did - I frankly didn't notice much improvement......
ImageImage
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Thanks again. Sorry to be a bit dim but what's the difference between the HS4 and HIF38 carbs? My Howley has a 4 square fixing for the carb and I'm guessing that's for the HIF38? Which do you think is the better carb? I get around 40 to the gallon in Monty and am hoping to maintain good economy but as he's my daily transport I need reliability too
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Just thought - what about the air filter?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The HS4 is the earlier carb - has two diagonal mount holes and will fit your manifold ok. The HIF38 is the later model and has 4 bolt mount. It is the better carb because of the 'Horixzontal Integral Float' and so no surging on bends. The larger carb will encourage faster motoring - you may not maintain that 40 mpg if it is genuine? So indeed - you may initially wish to keep your small carb and see how it goes. In which case - you need an adapter flange.
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As I point out in another thread - I found the original air filter to be hopeless when adapted to the larger carb - and fitted a K&N taper cone (NOT the useless pancake!) air filter.
ImageImage
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Many thanks BMC! I shall fire up the grinder soon! I've already got the smashing Wolseley front brakes so will have no worries from the extra velocity! :D
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

What cars had the HIF38 fitted? Just thinking about scrapyard hunting.....
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Mini - and many others from the Leyland range.
ImageImage
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

What needle should I use in an HIF38 please?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Depends on engine spec. I suggest you use whatever comes with the carb and see how it goes.... The 'performance' needles are AAA and AAU - but you will struggle to hold anything like 40 mpg with them.... :roll:
ImageImage