Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wickermonkey
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

engine stutter

Post by wickermonkey »

Ive got a bit of and engine stutter when ive got my foot about %10-15 on the accelerator i.e. cruising light accelerating speed. Just wondering if anyone can point me in a general direction to go in. Ive got a 1957 minor 1000 with an ital 1275 engine, type 9 gearbox, 4.22 diff, 15" wheels and a hif44 carb. Had a play with the distributor recently to get it right with the pinking just about disappearing under acceleration.
beero
Minor Legend

Re: engine stutter

Post by beero »

And was it okay before you moved the dizzy?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sounds quite high geared. Probably a weak mixture - if you drive it like that for a couple of miles, then stop and whip out the plugs - what colour are they? You should also check the operation of the vacuum advance (and check it IS connected?). Also put a little bit of engine oil in the carb damper. And report back with findings !
ImageImage
wickermonkey
Minor Friendly

Post by wickermonkey »

boefore i moved the dizzy it wos ok at best. after 3rd it would not rev beyond about 4000ish so i had a bit of a play. since then the weather has changed dramatically so im not sure what is going on now.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

What distributor are you using? Is the centrifugal advance mechanism working? With the vacuum disconnected, what is the timing at idle and around 4000 rpm?

What needle is fitted to the HIF44, and have you tried adjusting the mixture?
Richard