Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
macktel01
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Overheating Marty

Post by macktel01 »

Hi All
Since I fitted a temp gauge into my 1275 engined minor it has always shown High. There were no indications of overflow or water loss, but when I ran it with the heater off the the engine actually overflowed through the overflow pipe!
To date I have flushed through thr block and radiator ( No debris came out) I have removed thermostat no improvement.
I suspect the radiator as visually some of the core is missing.Can you suggest anything else I can try before investing in a new rad.
Thanks in advance dave
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Overheating Marty

Post by bmcecosse »

You really need to check the temperature gauge against a thermometer in the rad top.....One brave person on here 'borrowed' such a device from their kitchen drawer..... Just run the engine up to temperature with the rad cap off and the thermo in the water - and see how it reads. If it confirms high - well - a knocked out core isn't going to help..... You must NOT run without a thermostat - fit a 74 degree stat for summer.....higher for winter if you use your car then?
ImageImage
macktel01
Minor Friendly

Post by macktel01 »

Thanks BMC for your rapid reply!
I had already re fitted the thermostat and wil get a thermometer,The 74 degree stat does not seem to be available from the usual suppliers just 82 and 88, Where could i source a 74 ?
thanks Dave
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

ImageImage
macktel01
Minor Friendly

Post by macktel01 »

Hi
I have checked the coolant temp with a thermometer and the gauge appears to be pretty accurate. Are the dome top and flat top rads interchangeable( flat top at present) Are the dimensions the same apart from the height? I just hope it's not the head gasket.
regards