Series MM seats

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Glenacre
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Series MM seats

Post by Glenacre »

Hi. Don't want to invent the wheel at my age so has anybody got practical information on fitting Newton Commercial seat covers, as I believe they are very difficult to fit. (Newton Commercial state this themselves). I understand that the Series II and later seats are much easier to fit, so don't want to be confused as I definitely have the MM seats, and with respect don't want to be told not to attempt it as I am pig headed and going to anyway! So any information would be very welcome. Alan
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Series MM seats

Post by ian.mcdougall »

I did mine a while ago , as long as you take note on how you removed the old covers taking photos and notes eg how the material was folded at the bottom of the seat back and in which order , do one at a time having the other one as a reference and you should be OK my seat sponge was well flatened and i cut new foam and filled all the pockets with it to give more body to the foam

Glenacre
Minor Friendly

Post by Glenacre »

Thanks Ian, much appreciated. Were your seats MM seats because I have no foam in mine just springs. Alan
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

mine were the later series mm seats so slightly different to yours but i still think if you are methodical about it you should manage. Don't Newton do a fitting service as a last resort but probably expensive and may be too far to travel for you to leave seats in.There may be someone else on here will be in touch having done your particular model of seats
Ian

Glenacre
Minor Friendly

Post by Glenacre »

Thanks for your comments Ian, but Newton have categorically refused to fit MM seat covers due to length of time it takes, they do fit Series II and onwards - but will have a go myself. Alan
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The Series MM seats have sprung bases with horsehair padding but there is no reason why you should not add foam padding as required.
I bought two green cows and had mine done professionally, expensive but well worth it.
Add your location to your profile and there might be someone in your area who can help
[sig]3580[/sig]