Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
macktel01
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Indicator light

Post by macktel01 »

Hi hope someone can help.
intermitently the indicator light on the stalk lights permanently (the indicators themselves do not light) this can be cleared by using the indicator switch normally. I suspect the flasher unit as on one occasion i cleared the light by tapping the flasher unit.Any other ideas please.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Indicator light

Post by mogbob »

Before leaping to conclusions have you removed and cleaned ( with emery paper) the connections, to get back to bright clean metal ?
That is the Lucar connectors on the flasher can ( 3 ) and the bullet connectors under the dash , by the steering wheel where the small mini loom for the flasher wires emerge from the steering column.
Bob
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

If the stalk light comes on but the actual indicators don't, then I'd suspect the fault is in the indicator switch on the column. One side of the light is connected to ground via the metal stalk, the other is switched positive. My guess is that there is a freyed wire which is touching a live wire in the indicator switch assembly - there are soldered joints in there which will become brittle with age.

I hope this helps. If not, let me know what the fault is when you find it :)
Glad to be back!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The power to the little light comes from contacts inside the 'can' - so indeed the fault is in the can - which was proved by tapping the can..... It can be prised open and the contacts v gently cleaned.
ImageImage