Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chilly
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Modern 2 pack

Post by chilly »

I understand that spray painting nowadays uses a water based 2 pack system.
If a car is a solid colour (non metallic) does the water based paint have to be lacquered (clear coated)?.

Can paint shops still legally spray with the older style 2 pack (the not so environmentally friendly type).

The reason I ask is that we want to get our pick up painted in almond green and I don't really want it to be lacquered. I don't really want to use cellulose either.

Cheers
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: Modern 2 pack

Post by kennatt »

water based paint then n eeds a clear coat on top,the clear coat contains..........................isocyanate
chilly
Minor Fan

Post by chilly »

Can paint shops still legally use the old style 2 pack or has it been outlawed?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's not 'outlawed' if they have the correct equipment to use it safely... Water based needs an oven - and yes it will need a clear coat - I'm not at all sure that has isocyanates ?? By far the best paint for a Classic IS cellulose paint... The 2 packs have a kind of 'false sheen' to them - I don't know how else to describe it....it just doesn't look right somehow. And of course - difficult to touch in any future scrapes and dings......
ImageImage
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

As kennat said the isocyanate is in the lacquer that has to be used over water based paints.Water based base paint needs an air flow to dry it.
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by millerman »

bmcecosse wrote:It's not 'outlawed' if they have the correct equipment to use it safely... Water based needs an oven - and yes it will need a clear coat - I'm not at all sure that has isocyanates ?? By far the best paint for a Classic IS cellulose paint... The 2 packs have a kind of 'false sheen' to them - I don't know how else to describe it....it just doesn't look right somehow. And of course - difficult to touch in any future scrapes and dings......
Interesting............................ :roll: :roll:
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

But wrong.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Which part do you not agree with tysonn? I've already said I'm not sure about isocy in the clear coat. I have spray cans of clear coat that CERTAINLY don't have isocyantes in them! The rest of my statement is absolutely correct, as it is my personal opinion!
ImageImage
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Roy the fact that its your personal opinion doesn't make that opinion a fact.Water based paint doesnt need an oven.It needs an air flow to dry the base coat.The top(lacquer) coat doesnt have to be 2 pack.Cellulose lacquer would do.2 pack doesn't need an oven!OK pro painters use an oven as it accelerates the curing process enabling them to get the job out and onto the next one faster than I can do at home in my humble double garage relying to a certain extent on the ambient temperature(although I use a kerosene space heater so not a problem even if its snowing outside.We have differed in the past over "opinions" about the paint finish of celly and 2k.Sheen is what you're after when you paint your car,the glossier the sheen the better!Why is celly "the best"?And anyone used to using 2k will have no problems blending in a repair.
If you say "in my opinion" in your response the bloke asking the question won't automatically take your opinion for granted.
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

Two pack is far superior over cellulose, sorry Roy... its more durable, easy to use.... to get a good depth in cellulose you have to put lots and lots of coats on then spend hours cutting it back, if you a good painter ive seen two pack respray gun finish's superb... cellulose also fades and need constant waxing to help protect it... two pack also doesn't need a oven, but does help the drying process....
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

The choices left to the OP who doesn't want a lacquered top coat and doesn't want to use celly are two pack or synthetic.The latter is horrible stuff to spray and without doubt not suitable for touching up or blending in.Bear in mind with celly and two pack single systems the lacquer is already there it's just combined in the paint.
chilly
Minor Fan

Post by chilly »

Sorry Tysonn what's 'synthetic'? Not heard of that option before.
millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

PaulTubby wrote:Two pack is far superior over cellulose, sorry Roy... its more durable, easy to use.... to get a good depth in cellulose you have to put lots and lots of coats on then spend hours cutting it back, if you a good painter ive seen two pack respray gun finish's superb... cellulose also fades and need constant waxing to help protect it... two pack also doesn't need a oven, but does help the drying process....

A very good summary!

I have found if you don't bother to polish your car two pack will keep its "looks" far longer than celly
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I agree with Roy in that 2K paint looks plasticy...

But, in every other respect its at least as good if not better than celly - provided you have the correct respitory protective equipment (Ok, you need it for cellulose too, but you need different kit).

This is good quality 2k, bought from a proper paint factor a few days before painting, sprayed in an un-heated workshop about 5 5 weeks ago when it was COLD down south. Took ages to go off, and has a few runs (that probably wouldn't be there if it were warmer) - but the same would apply to celly.

(and yes thats my workshop :P ) - only problem is that its a bit small I have almost run out of space :( .
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

If you want two pack go for single stage in Almond green, there is no point in base coat/clearcoat for anything other than metallic.Cellulose is total pants by comparison, I have used both a lot and as for the false sheen my Mog is painted in Celly and often gets mistaken for 2K by other owners.One of the most hazardous chemicals is wax and grease remover, don't breath that in. As others have said good respiratory equipment is a must, to that I would add paper overalls with a hood and Nitrile gloves. All of these paints are deadly if you breath them in it's just some will kill you quicker than others.
[sig]6530[/sig]
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

In reply to Chillys question about synthetic its oil based,even more old fashioned than celluluse,stinks,takes ages to go off,you never get rid of it without a total paint strip,used to be used a lot on commercials as it's cheap,its like Dulux in a spray gun forget it.Having said that it goes on nice and thick.One good coat would probably be enough for a car you hate and want to look half decent so some other poor mug will fall for it.