mickm
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Want to be a TV Star this Friday

Post by mickm »

I saw this on F.B anyone up for it?

Anyone want to be on The One Show?
---
Hi there - I was wondering if you could help.

I work on the BBC1 programme, The One Show (live between 7pm-7.30pm) and this Friday we have a short VT going out about the history of the Morris Minor and Lord Nuffield. With this in mind, we are looking to talk to Morris Minor owners to not only find out more about their particular car but also see if they are potentially available to come to our studios in London this Friday to drive their Morris Minor through our small outdoor piazza area - this will take place and be part of an item during the live show hosted by Chris Evans and Alex Jones.

We are looking for a range of owners - someone who owns the oldest Morris Minor, the fastest Morris Minor, a family who all own Morris Minors, or perhaps an owner who has lost then re-found their original car.

It would be brilliant to find out if you can help or point me in the right direction via any of your club members.

Best wishes,
Hannah

(07790082310 / hannah.boothman01@bbc.co.uk)
---

She doesn't seem that impressed with Bluey... but if anyone else wants to offer their car to her then by all means!

Would really suit someone close to London.

Unlike ·

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Want to be a TV Star this Friday

Post by bmcecosse »

All that in half an hour...... I never watch the ghastly 'One Show' (or indeed anything to do with Evans) - but I may try to make the effort to set the recorder.....
ImageImage
hammersmith
Minor Friendly

Post by hammersmith »

Had my 1 nano second of fame with the Morris on Blue Peter and got the badge. But oh the time it took to film going down to Brighton. However my children at the time enjoyed it, and still talk about it today. But I will set the recorder anyway. Best of luck to anyone that does go. :lol:
warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

The good thing about this one is that it's LIVE which means when the show comes off air, that'll be it - no waiting around for endless retakes. I would do this if they were shooting it in Salford!
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

If anyone volunteers for this be sure to do it for no less than £100 per day, plus expenses (milage travelled at 40p a mile, parking, food on the day, congestion charge etc).

Don't be fobbed off with the old "for the love of seeing your car on TV" line....The BBC has a huge budget and if they can afford to waste money on £265 per night hotel rooms, they can surely compensate Moggy drivers properly for their time...
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Money Money why is it always about Money. If someone wanted to do this for nothing or for whats offered, why shouldn't he/she not?

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

My car has already been filmed at Nuffield Place for the program
[sig]3580[/sig]
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

I was asked on Tuesday and as always with TV it is short notice and expectation to do things `because it is tv`.

Anyway I had a valid excuse as I do not own a Minor.

I will watch to see who is on.
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

I love to take part in things like this, it is always good fun and something to look back at later on, so go on do it! What is wrong with doing something just for fun?
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

les wrote:Money Money why is it always about Money. If someone wanted to do this for nothing or for whats offered, why shouldn't he/she not?
Because the BBC or some other TV program make a lot of money from this, the BBC through the non -optional license fee.

As for money, industry standard in TV/ films IS £100 per day, plus expenses. I have done film work in my Minors and this is what I got. If you are self employed, doing a TV film shoot and getting nothing for your days work and probably not even expenses means you are losing money. When you are self employed there is no salary paid into your bank account each month. Would you do a days work for nothing for a large corporation??? If you do then sorry, you've been mugged!

We all need money to live, Les. I have bills to pay as do we all. So yes it does have to be about money, and it is disgusting that large corporations such as the BBC who take £145 from each one of us expect cars for their filming for free.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
faversham999
Minor Fan

Post by faversham999 »

Why budget for a Car and Driver when you can get if for nothing . If nobody turned up for free they could and would hire one

warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

In defence of an industry in which I have plenty of friends, the BBC's budget is huge but it's a huge organisation and has, as part of its charter, to share it around a huge amount of things, just as we all have to decide how we spend our income. No one area gets that much share of the cash. Every pound counts, and must be accounted for, justified, and explained to the public who all want it spent on their particular interest. The people who work in the BBC are just trying to make programmes which the rest of us will enjoy watching.
(Actually I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure if The One Show ARE offering a fee.)

So let's celebrate the fact there is good natured interest! If owners respond positively it's much more likely to make them think 'you know those MM owners, they're great people!' and that gets around the BBC and opens up doors for more opportunities, perhaps where the budgets are bigger!

I believe Chris Evans is a fan and owner of MMs. I'm looking forward to watching tomorrow night :)
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Yes Moggie owners are great people and being taken for a ride by a large corporation with an income of £3 billion a year!

As Faversham said they would and could pay for a driver and car, but why should they when they can get it for free?

If you booked a taxi would you expect to get it for free?? No you have to pay.
mike1864
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by mike1864 »

I have to declare even more of an interest than warb21, as I work at the BBC. But the One Show is clearly a magazine programme, not a profit-making producer of feature films or advertising copy. As such it often features people with special interests, hobbies or abilites and a range of heart-warming stories.
Personally I reckon being a Morris Minor owner ticks all those boxes. I can't imagine that other public contributors to the programme would expect commercial payment for this wonderful opportunity of raising the profile of their cause or interest. In fact (again speaking entirely personally) I consider that demanding payment puts MM owners in a bad light. We don't demand payment (in fact the opposite) to show our cars at shows and rallys. Why treat this opportunity any differently?
I had offered my own car to the show, not expecting payment (not even petrol or the congestion charge), but was dismayed to have responded too late.
To the more mercenary club members: have you not thought how much a "as seen on TV" endorsement adds to your car's value? Probably more than your £200.
By all means charge for photo-shoots, weddings and appearances in films (even BBC ones!). But not for a feature that's inmtended purely to highlight our shared passion.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Well said Mike!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

bmcecosse wrote:All that in half an hour...... I never watch the ghastly 'One Show' (or indeed anything to do with Evans) - but I may try to make the effort to set the recorder.....
When he's on Radio 2,I listen to Radio 4, same goes for Zoe Ball.

Is Evans the twit who's married to the delightful Billie Piper?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
mickm
Minor Friendly

Post by mickm »

I put this up so that some people could go along to promote their P&J. NOT WINGE about it!! I cant believe you lot, all you want to do is bloody moan about showing off. If you don't want to go DON'T I don't care if you live in Scotland and not watch the show. You wont get to London any way. So let others go and enjoy themselves!!

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well said mick
Vicky
Minor Friendly

Post by Vicky »

I too work at the Beeb, but I'm going to ignore all the negative comments. I didn't know this was happening otherwise I would have brought my lil Mog. Instead I was delighted to find Moggy minors parked outside the front door. Here's some pix of them arriving:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65576528@ ... 800342144/

Sadly I had to shoot off to do a live programme somewhere else, but I will try and take some more photos when they're on air later.
Last edited by Vicky on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Was married to Billie Piper
[sig]3580[/sig]