Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bjbrownie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Cleaning carburettor with thinners

Post by bjbrownie »

A tip that I've been using for a few years now for cleaning carburettors and related engine parts is to clean with cellulose thinners-use a large bowl and a small brush, use in a well ventilated area or outside, and it gets all the gum,dirt and residue off relatively easily and leaves the aluminium ready for polishing or painting.
I did the carb and distributor this way, and lightly polished it with metal polish to keep any corrosion away (I'm repainting the distributor advance),lightly oil any moving parts, should look good when the engines repainted and back in! 8)[frame]Image[/frame] You can get 5 litres of basic thinners of eBay for around £10 with free delivery and it lasts for ages.
Martha the Moggy Minor-the year long winter project!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Cleaning carburettor with thinners

Post by bmcecosse »

The 'Carb and choke' cleaner (contains Toluene amongst others) supplied in handy spray cans does the job very nicely - along with an initial blast of 'Alloy wheel cleaner' and a toothbrush ... Clean the toothbrush well afterwards, or it gives a strange taste.... :cry:
ImageImage
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Looks good, though your carb should have a metal heat shielding around that fuel pipe between the float chamber and the carb, else you may suffer from fuel vaporisation. :wink:

Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
bjbrownie
Minor Fan

Post by bjbrownie »

Thanks Chipper for the advice, the fuel pipewas like that on the car-it must have deteriorated and fell off, I'll buy a new one when I finally get the engine back in. 8)
Jeroen '65 kever

Post by Jeroen '65 kever »

Looks verry nice! I did it almost the same way, but i gave it a tumbler treatment. I know that's something with is not reachable for everybody (also not for me anymore) but something everybody can do is use a drill and a steel wire brush. Afther that i use some chrome polish and an old rag. It sound very havy, but this is the result...[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
bjbrownie
Minor Fan

Post by bjbrownie »

Now that's nice! :lol: