Tracker - GPS vs VHF for stolen vehicle recovery

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MrDodo
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Tracker - GPS vs VHF for stolen vehicle recovery

Post by MrDodo »

Given the worrying increase in classic car theft I'm considering having a tracking device fitted to my car. I know that there are relatively cheap GPS devices available online, but given "you get what you pay for" I'm thinking about spending (quite a bit) more and going for a monitored service.
Does anyone have any sound technical knowledge of the pros/cons of the GPS- vs VHF -based system used by the eponymous tracking company?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Tracker - GPS vs VHF for stolen vehicle recovery

Post by bmcecosse »

With either - if the car is locked up in a steel container - the signal won't get out anyway. Just apply the usual anti-theft measures, and lock it up out of sight in a garage at your house - and it is very unlikely to go missing.
ImageImage
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Fit whatever floats your boat.

The tracker thingy does work as my dad had first hand experience of one working. Just under twenty years ago I think.

The car was traced and followed a lot sooner than the police actually admitted to my dad.

My dad thinking the car was lost forever, completely unawares that the police were actually lying in wait for a team of car strippers to appear at a lock up to strip his car.

The villans appeared, were jumped on, arrested, sent to prison for quite a while as part of a larger cartel.

Dads car got returned.. unscathed.. happy days.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

MrDodo
Minor Friendly

Post by MrDodo »

Thanks Dean for your thoughts.