Renewing heater hoses

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ljw326
MMOC Member: No

Renewing heater hoses

Post by Ljw326 »

First of all, sorry if this is a question that has been asked a thousand times already but I couldn't find an answer when I searched the forums. I've recently bought my Moggy and I need to change the heater hoses as they have collapsed...badly. She's a 1952 Series MM 918 side valve with the 'fug stirrer' heater - the Smiths round heater. My question is what is the easiest way to remove the hoses from the back of the heater? The way the hose clips are sited makes it almost impossible to undo them so do I need to remove the heater and if do, is it a dash out job?

Many thanks in advance for any tips, help and advice.
Lisa
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Renewing heater hoses

Post by mike.perry »

You will need to remove the screw fixing the bottom of the heater to the parcel shelf and the top two screws attaching the heater to the bottom of the switch panel. You may also find it easier to remove the screws at either end of the parcel shelf.
You should now have enough room to manoeuver the heater to get to the hoses at the back of the heater. Don't forget that they will be full of water
[sig]3580[/sig]
Ljw326

Post by Ljw326 »

So screwdriver, bowl, patience and a little swearing (optional). Thanks once again Mike, I'll give it a go.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

And if that does not work try kicking the hubcaps
[sig]3580[/sig]
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Kick the tires not the hubcaps. Kicking the hubcaps puts hard to remove dents in them. Don't ask how I know.
Talk slow, think fast!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Take the carpets out to prevent water damage....
ImageImage
Ljw326

Post by Ljw326 »

Thanks for the tips, especially kicking the tyres and not the hub caps. Job done with an awful lot of coaxing, begging and yep, swearing!!!