Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lindopski
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Morris as a daily driver.

Post by lindopski »

I currently drive a modern VW polo as a daily driver - its only a 1.0
I have for many years liked the Morris 1000,the Triumph Herald, The mini and many other classics.
I currently have a 1969 Daimler 250 but it would not be practical to use a 2.5 V8 as a daily driver, especially as I drive 40 miles a day 5 days a week.

I wondered about opinion on using a moggy as a daily in this day and age. I appreciate that the old girls have held up very well up to now but would a 40 mile daily drive be a little too much now for an aged classic and should they now be confined to weekend outings and polishing only.
I would learn far more from a moggy than I ever will from anything modern but would 200 miles a week be a bit tough on the old girls.
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!
MMOC Member: No

Re: Morris as a daily driver.

Post by chesney »

I do 40 miles each way a day in mine (Huddersfield to Sheffield), copes just fine, albeit mine is slightly modified. Just needs more regular servicing.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

They make great daily drivers! :) I've owned my 1970 Traveller since 1989 and have mostly used it as an everyday car to this day, in all weathers, and it now has 154,000 miles on the clock.

It's been more reliable than some modern cars I've owned in that time.

And of course, excellent parts availability, relatively easy to work on from a DIY persective, so you can keep those garage bills down.

Plus, with so many enthusiasts and a number of good forums, there's always plenty of advice available.

I wouldn't hesitate to use one for 40 miles a day - piece of cake. :wink:
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

Ive been driving a morris every day for over twenty years, and get on fine. Fast roads can be a bit interesting with some folk getting a bit bored behind and cutting you up.
My other van is an LDV sherpa which is slow! Although having a brake servo in it, it takes some getting used to morris brakes when swapping between the two.
Unlike modern cars there is more to keep on top of such as regular servicing, oil change and greasing and for every day use I would waxoil the underside and wheel arches as wet roads and salt rot out old metal real quick.

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

if its petrol consumption thats concerning you ,there wouln't be a massive difference,I have a 2.8 scimitar and a ser11 948,and drive both equally,depending on which one is in front of the other on the drive.The petrol dosent come into it. The minor does about 34mpg ,has to work hard to keep up with traffic doing 60 to 70,the scimitar does about 28mpg at low cruising revs.No body trys to overtake me in the scimtar ,every body wants to get past the moggie,even though I may be at legal speed limits.But Yes they can be used as a daily after all thats exactly what they were designed and bult for. When you adjust your expense to take into account that the classics,whatever make, are mostly Tax free,lower insurance and some now mot free,the petrol consumption compared to a modern doing 40+ mpg,levels out expense wise, so all in all your daimlers running costs are probably about the same as your polo.
warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

I generally agree with other posts here. I use my 1098cc 4-speed for 40 mile round trip 5 days a week mainly motorways / dual carriageways. Service regularly, keep the oil levels up. Mine's got disc brakes & a servo which helps.

I keep distance on motorways, allow the trucks past when safe to do so, bear with the car drivers who assume I'm slow and old, and have a mindset of enjoying the drive rather than getting there quickly. And as a result I have LOADS of fun. :D
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Indeed. For daily motoring, Minors are easily upgraded with various enhancements, such as disc brakes, Midget 1275cc engine, telescopic dampers, alternator, spin-on oil filter, etc., that makes them as useable as any modern car.

But even as standard, they can be fine as long as the overall condition is good and reasonably well maintained.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
You can add my vote to the above, I use mine every day.
As above (Mods are up to you - personal preference) just keep on top of the servicing.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
db6431
Minor Friendly

Post by db6431 »

Mine is used daily and you will find the more you use them the more reliable they become :D
db6431
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

This has been discussed on numerous occasions - try searching. The overwhelming response is along the lines of "Of course they're OK for daily driving". I've just returned from a two way journey on the M25 in one of the Travellers, and had no problems at all.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

just keep up the maintenance
which of course will be more regular
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

I use to do do in excess of 300 miles a week in mine
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I've been driving my Traveller since September daily. 100% reliable and very little work needed , and 38mpg average including town driving.

Brilliant eveyday cars. Just make sure you waxoyl/ dinitrol thoroughly!
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Minors are fine for daily use. So are Heralds for that matter. Ive driven a few of each as daily runners over the years. Minis of course are excellent but are getting very popular with thieves now that their values have gone silly. Minor values have not changed for years.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Minor values have not changed for years.
I'll think you'll find they're on the up and have been for a while, which is one reason why they are now more desirable to thieves and why the 'Stolen' posts on here are increasing!
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

jagnut66 wrote:
Minor values have not changed for years.
I'll think you'll find they're on the up and have been for a while, which is one reason why they are now more desirable to thieves and why the 'Stolen' posts on here are increasing!
Use my van everyday.The 1098 engine well tuned,or not to be honest,can cope. Jagnut,when you worked for BT,and drove a Maestro,was the engine governed ? My Maestro can do fifty,and a bit more,but that appears to be it. Fifty's fine,but curious !
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I use my van most days,Apart from routine servicing and keeping it greased up I dont do a lot to it.The last thing I had done to it was a puncture that I got on Thursday and had to puncture repaired.Lucky I have five spares.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Jagnut,when you worked for BT,and drove a Maestro,was the engine governed ? My Maestro can do fifty,and a bit more,but that appears to be it. Fifty's fine,but curious !
I don't remember it being restricted and back in the day when I was younger and there were no speed cameras I would certainly have done 70 on a duel carrageway and not worried.
I think if it had been governed I'd remember, because I'd have been miffed that it was so slow! :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

jagnut66 wrote:
Jagnut,when you worked for BT,and drove a Maestro,was the engine governed ? My Maestro can do fifty,and a bit more,but that appears to be it. Fifty's fine,but curious !
I don't remember it being restricted and back in the day when I was younger and there were no speed cameras I would certainly have done 70 on a duel carrageway and not worried.
I think if it had been governed I'd remember, because I'd have been miffed that it was so slow! :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
Thanks Mike. I think the engine is cream crackered. uses oil,and smokes a bit.But,is doing it's job. If it aint broke,don't fix it !
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

If it's using oil and smokes a bit you may have less time than you think before it will need rebuilding. I'd look out for a decent replacement to drop in to keep the van on the road, while you rebuild the original at your leisure. They can still be found if you keep a look out, try eBay for a start.
Always good to have a spare engine laying about........