Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tysonn
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

No bleed nipples

Post by tysonn »

A couple of months ago I bought new Lockheed(although their boxes don't say Lockheed)wheel cylinders,springs,adjusters,the early MG brake shoes mentioned on this forum etc ready for fitting the Wolseley 9" drums.Filed down the back plates to take the cylinders and realised they didn't come with bleed nipples!So now I either use the old nipples(my intention was for everything to be new) or wait until I get new.I must say I expected new cylinders to come with new nipples or at the very least to be advised about it on purchase.I aren't criticising Bull Motif I suppose they're all the same although I do remember when fitting the Minilte replica wheels and tyres they sold me that the wheels were rubbing on the front suspension.On calling them they told me I needed spacers which they also sold so had to wait a week until they arrived.
blues2rock
Minor Friendly

Re: No bleed nipples

Post by blues2rock »

I understand your feelings but it is normal practice for cylinders to be supplied without nipples - just plastic plugs to keep out any dirt or contaminants. I have no connection to Bull Motif or any other supplier.

At risk of stating the obvious, try to curb your enthusiasm and wait for the new nipples - might as well make it the best quality job possible!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr Angry from Maldon
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

I bought a full set of cylinders a while back and all came with bleed nipples although they were loose in the boxes. Without checking, I'm fairly sure the fronts were Lockheeds. I don't think I've ever had to order a bleed nipple seperately.

Looking at the BM website, it does say '**(you may require FBK117 bleed nipple)'
Glad to be back!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Always remove all bleed nipples before you throw anything away. I have a tin of assorted nipples
[sig]3580[/sig]
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

I just got a set for my Golf and they came with nipples.
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

I don't remember ever buying a wheel cylinder that didn't have bleed nipple included. Is this a new development?
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

A new cylinder without one is a pretty useless object.
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

In my experience the genuine cylinders sold by any supplier do not come with nipples, pattern's do.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Well I bought these as "genuine" Lockheed(without nipples).Their pattern ones are also without nipples.Now I have checked the website they do say "you may"require nipples! I missed that(obviously)so yes its my own fault(still think its stupid regardless).
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Do let us know how you get on with the MG shoes!
ImageImage