Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bidz
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Headlight Buzzer

Post by Bidz »

A few times now, I've got out of the car leaving the lights on.

I was thinking, as there is already a supply behind the dash for the panel lights, to use this to power a buzzer - switched via a relay, which connects through the courtesy light ground supply, from the door switches.[frame]Here's a simplified version of the diagram. The lamps shown are the panel lights behind the speedo. These are on constantly when the sidelights and headlights are on.

Image[/frame]

This'd work, right? Thoughts?
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Headlight Buzzer

Post by simmitc »

Quite a modern idea, nothing wrong with it, but the simpler alternative is to check the switches before getting out of the car, and/or look at the car as you leave it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You don't show the courtesy light........presumably the relay is wired in parallel..... Seems a bit OTT to me......
ImageImage
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

bmcecosse wrote:You don't show the courtesy light........presumably the relay is wired in parallel..... Seems a bit OTT to me......
No need to show it. Not OTT if it stops me leaving the lights on, which I've done twice this week.
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

You don't need the relay, just connect the -ve feed for the buzzer to the courtesy light door switch, then connect the +ve feed for the buzzer after the headlight switch. This assumes your car is negative earth. The buzzer will also sound when the passenger door is opened but you can isolate that with a diode, if it bothers you.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The whole point I think is for it to only sound when headlights (not sidelights??) are on. But seriously - not switching off headlights when leaving the car????????? :roll: You should automatically go through a standard checklist in your head when leaving the car....including setting the secret switch of course............ And do remember to set the parking brake..... :o
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I hate cars which tell me what to do. Beep your seat belt is undone, beep the handbrake is on, beep the door is open, beep the lights are on etc etc etc :evil:
[sig]3580[/sig]
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

bmcecosse wrote:The whole point I think is for it to only sound when headlights (not sidelights??) are on. But seriously - not switching off headlights when leaving the car????????? :roll: You should automatically go through a standard checklist in your head when leaving the car....including setting the secret switch of course............ And do remember to set the parking brake..... :o
Okay.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well its your car
if you want the beep and it gives you peace of mind then go for it
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

aupickup wrote:well its your car
if you want the beep and it gives you peace of mind then go for it
Thanks, actually I think this is actually it. It occurs to me to hit the secret switch EVERY time I leave, but it doesn't for the lights...

I don't need a relay, this is true! To Maplins!
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

Bidz wrote:To Maplins!
How did you get on?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Flat battery.....headlights left on.......... :oops: :lol:
ImageImage
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

Still working on my brake issue. I've got a few other little things to wire in, so it'll happen with that.
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

I think I might copy you and get a buzzer for myself. I usually drive with the headlamps on and the panel lights off so it happens very frequently that I get out of the car, lock the door, take a few steps and then notice the lights are on. Hasn't left me stranded but it's a hassle to go back and unlock, turn off lights and then lock again.
Might even get a vintage buzzer for a period authentic sound!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAY-5-5-MADNESS ... 20e51b81ef
Gabriel
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

I've done some fag packet maths and if enough people are interested (10 or so), I can make a lights on reminder that stops buzzing after a short while if you keep the door open, to reduce the annoyance factor, for £3.50 +postage. Two wire installation. PM me.
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

Remember this?? I finally got around to it today...

I put the buzzer in the engine bay (It was loud) and wired the +ve to the panel light supply, and the -ve to the ground from the courtesy switches. Simple as that - it works a treat!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Make sure it's not draining current back through the sidelights.......
ImageImage
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by GavinL »

I know this is an old thread, but answers a question I had - taking bmcecosse’s point. if drain via the lights is an issue would putting a diode between buzzer and the feed from the lighting switch address this? Do the commercial 2 wire buzzers sold for this purpose have a diode in circuit?
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Buzzers may have a diode to stop it being damaged by reverse polarity connection but i wouldn't bank on it.
Best to add your own diode 1N4000 series will work fine in the supply to the buzzer to stop the buzzer supply going reverse polarity when the headlights/sidelights are off and doors closed.
That's how I connected mine in the early 80's.
I wasn't in the habit of leaving lights on but my sister was.
Just for completeness:-
Lights warning buzzer.png
Lights warning buzzer.png (15.02 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
For positive earth reverse diode and buzzer connections.
Regards John
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

And finally the deluxe version that only works on the drivers door:-
Lights warning buzzer drivers door only.png
Lights warning buzzer drivers door only.png (17.23 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
Regards John
Last edited by StillGotMy1stCar on Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.