Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Poor acceleration above 30mph + gravelly engine sound

Post by les »

I sometimes think you are too quick to say jobs are easy and only take 5 minutes Roy! There are always snags to come across in the real world, maybe it's me but I've rebuilt several engines but I always find some detail that makes me think or doesn't go according to plan, or indeed needing an informed decision on something. So I can't see it being any different when doing it for the first time. Yes have a go but none of these jobs are a one arm tied behind your back doddle! Get real!!!!!!!! :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by bmcecosse »

I didn't suggest 5 minutes for this one - a 'week-end' was mentioned. We need to be POSITIVE Les - it's not difficult - I changed my first crank at age 17 with no previous experience or fancy equipment or tools. It's all in the Workshop Manual - which is available FREE to download from the internet - just Google for it...... And I was rather hoping/suggesting that someone local would offer to drop by and offer to help......
ImageImage
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

bmcecosse wrote:It's just a case of unscrewing some parts - removing the old crank, fitting the exchange crank and doing up the bolts again.. ie there is no delicate 'fitting' - anything like that. But I agree - someone who has done it before would be of great assistance.
Surely, changing the crank would involve an engine/gearbox out job first to access the flywheel bolts, also the timing chain would need to be undone (and probably renewed while you're at it), then there are the crank bearings which will probably need renewing, plus gaskets, etc.

You make it sound easy, and yes, good to think positive to get the job done, but it's quite a fair undertaking, and probably quite daunting for a novice.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh yes -engine out. But if I could do it at 17 with no previous.... It's not difficult. But help would definitely be an advantage.
ImageImage
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

everything is easy if you have the know how and right tools and sometimes expertise
i was making circular staircases at 18 so its easy lol :D :D
each one to their own
mattinhertford
Minor Fan

Post by mattinhertford »

Thanks all, that's certainly given me some food for thought. I'm thinking that I will have a crack at it myself since I have nothing to lose and £1000+ to save!!!...and after all, this was the very reason to buy the car I.e. to have some fun tinkering with the mechanics!...albeit I didn't really want to be jumping in the deep end!!!

I'll be posting lots of questions as I go, so keep the advice flowing pls!!!

Now where did I leave that manual?...... :-?
Morris no.1 - a "learning new skills" project

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well said and good luck! :D

Offshore
Minor Friendly

Post by Offshore »

I would try and steer away from the valuation side - it's never worth it! A grand for an engine swapped over is about right. Just think of the smiles when you are driving down the road. Not good news but she looks fine in the pics. Worth keeping I think.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

We're all here to advise - but if there is a local branch you could join - and perhaps enrol some help from them with tempting Jaffa Cakes and bottomless tea provided??
ImageImage
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

there is an engine rebuilder at hatfield called power units but i think you have to take the engine out for him . there is another place near henlow in beds , ive had good reports about them
[sig]5641[/sig]
mattinhertford
Minor Fan

Post by mattinhertford »

Thanks guys, doing loads of research at the moment. After I've fixed the brakes this weekend I'm going to drop the sump and take a look as BMC suggested earlier in this post. I'm sure I'll be posting photos of what I see for advice!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good idea! Support the car carefully----we don't want any accidents.
ImageImage
mattinhertford
Minor Fan

Post by mattinhertford »

Ok, so dropped the sump today and here are a few shots of what i can see. No bits of metal in the oil as far as i can see. Haynes p.31 "crankshaft examination" says "if the centre main bearing is suspected of failure it should be investigated by dropping the sump and removing the centre main bearing cap". The cap wasn't apparent to me today but will look again tomorrow (but shout now if its easy to describe what it looks like!).

Looking at the photos, i'm notbreally sure what i'm supposed to be looking for....nothing obviously looks chipped/cracked but then it is all covered in oil. What should i do next to inspect further?

Also, the engne purrs beautifully when its idling so if it was the crankshaft then surely that would be noisy at all times, not just when accelerating above 30+mph? (Bear in mind i know nothing!!) could it not be gearbox related? PS: the mechanic said the clutch is slipping too...thought i'd mention it incase its related in some way??[frame]Image[/frame]

mattinhertford
Minor Fan

Post by mattinhertford »

[frame]Image[/frame]

mattinhertford
Minor Fan

Post by mattinhertford »

[frame]Image[/frame]

mattinhertford
Minor Fan

Post by mattinhertford »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You need to take the caps off to expose the bearing surfaces - and yes the centre main is a good starting point. It's a main bearing (so not on a conrod) and in the centre! Note carefully which way round it is fitted before removal... Needs a GOOD 5/8" AF socket or ring key....... DO NOT attempt to use anything else... The lock tabs will need to be tapped back out of the way first, and you will need to remove the oil strainer to get at it........
ImageImage
mattinhertford
Minor Fan

Post by mattinhertford »

Ok, removed the oil strainer, knocked back the lock tabs, removed the two bolts (with some serious muscle strain!!)....but the next bit (the cap?) does not budge? I'm reading that it should now come off so I can inspect the main bearings...on this centre main.....or us there something else I need to do?

Picture here....[frame]Image[/frame]

Thanks for the guidance so far. Still having lots of fun with this. Nearly sorted the brakes but a pipe bridge snapped as it had
rusted to one of the nuts, so will order new one tomorrow.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Gently tap each end with a hammer whilst pulling the cap upwards, there will be 2 half round thrust washers come away with it. These are positioned each side of the cap, make sure they go the correct way round on reassembly. That is important.

katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Put the 2 bolts back in a few turns before you "Gently tap each end with a hammer whilst pulling the cap upwards". That way you will have control of the cap and thrust washers when it comes loose.
Talk slow, think fast!