When did travellers do away with semaphores?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tysonn
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: When did travellers do away with semaphores?

Post by tysonn »

No Alan and my name is Mick.I just sold my convertible and am soon to buy a 1970 traveller to restore.Luckily it has a new set of woodwork ready to fit.
LUR759H
Minor Fan

Post by LUR759H »

If any of your old woodwork is ok will you let me no?

I need to no about the bushes on the dampers

alan
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Sorry Alan the car has no old wood.Present owner removed it all.
LUR759H
Minor Fan

Post by LUR759H »

ok thank Mick, I hope you dont mind me asking...

Alan
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

Chris,
some on here wouldn't recognise harmless banter even if it was disguised as a 10ft rabbit, bent over and farted in tune to Madness' House of Fun!
You do need to be careful - some on here might think sometimes you are just talking out of your backside doors......

Mark
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Mark Wilson wrote:Chris,
some on here wouldn't recognise harmless banter even if it was disguised as a 10ft rabbit, bent over and farted in tune to Madness' House of Fun!
You do need to be careful - some on here might think sometimes you are just talking out of your backside doors......

Mark
In the grand scheme of things cannot be THAT offensive, unlike Nigeria who have to endure some pop group
from the 60s (Procul Harum) singing their politically incorrect hit "A whiter shade of pale" 24/7 - the world is mad!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Can't argue with the last few words of that sentence!
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Sorry to continue boring you but I'm fascinated by this car.I fully appreciate that over the years owners continually replace parts,update what they consider to be inferior parts with later items etc.From the pics this seems to have the wrong front sidelamps,no semaphores(not a simple unbolt procedure),later seats,standard(not pull type)starter solenoid,there is soundproofing over where the old starter pull would have come through the bulkhead,heater fresh air inlet(although its the round early heater),engine(but thats a common replacement etc etc,you experts have probably spotted many more.But the dash looks correct for a '59?steering wheel also?Maybe I'm more paranoid than I thought I was.
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

I have an early '61 2 door saloon which gave me many headaches, the trafficator slots have been welded in, and the wipers had been 'converted' to tandem wipe, plus a later drivetrain, front panel etc etc. Did turn out to be a gen. 61 in the end though!
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Thanks for that.My '59 convertible conversion had had the semaphores removed too.Crying shame really.And later wings which removed the old sidelights.Over the years people were "upgrading" I suppose.
gtt1951
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by gtt1951 »

Back to the Smoke Grey Traveller - I used to have a 1963 one (same colour, but I thought it was "pale blue"). The only thing I see as being correct, in the advertised one, is the steering wheel.
Should have "clap hands" wipers,
recirculating heater (if any) and not the later one (which would have required cutting a large hole in the bulkhead and moving some fittings),
948 engine (as standard).
There is a "fresh air" mod for the recirculating heater (I have the kit) but this takes air from somewhere on the floor I think - can't check now as on holiday.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

The wrong type chassis plate is a nice touch!

If you're going to the trouble of "updating" a Minor - assuming all parts of the donor
vehicle are available - why not fit the later steering wheel and glovebox lids?

Anyone on here viewed it?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

I have a 4 door 1960 and I welded up the semaphore holes due to fitting seat belts and needing a better anchorage point, and also to help prevent water ingress which, eats away into the lower box sections. Still miss them though.

I also had the older type heater and there was a rectangular hole in the floor for the heater to pick up fresh air (via a corresponding rectangular tube). The tube also incorporated a flap that could be open or closed to go fresh air or recirculating (cable operated). Not all the cars got the 'extra' tube piece I believe, and just had the recirculating.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

I would venture that apart from the concourse cars there are NO cars on the road that havent had many many alterations in that 50-60 years since production.Whether its bigger brakes,alternators,seat belts,gauges,seats etc etc etc.I could be here all night.