Split screen chrome surround, help. (Updated)

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
peteatreat
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Split screen chrome surround, help. (Updated)

Post by peteatreat »

Hi there,
My split screen metal surround is painted black and I have been advised that it is the original. I scraped off a small section of paint near the clip to find that the chrome was quite good. Brimming with anticipation that the rest would be ok, I decided to remove the complete two piece section. Fortunately, the screen rubbers were replaced fairly recently and the metal surround seems just to be decoration and not now an integral part, so screen still held in firmly!
Upon removing the rest of the paint, I could now see why it was painted! The chrome is pretty shot and the brass facing is showing through.

My question is three fold,
1) Does anyone know a good plating company and roughly how much it might be to get a proper job done? ( I've heard it is not cheap! ) Herts/Essex area.
2) Has there been any success stories with the so called " chrome" aerosol paints?
3) Plastic chrome effect flexible screen surround, as advertised on a popular internet auction site, is it any good?

Option 1, I know is the best way forward, but price is going to be a factor, so any advice will be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Pete
Last edited by peteatreat on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Re: Split screen chrome surround, help.

Post by mike.perry »

Make the most of what you have, split screen trim is getting hard to find, look at the number of cars with missing trim. It is only decorative and does nothing to hold the screens in place. The later plastic insert trim will not fit split screens
[sig]3580[/sig]
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

The chrome plater will have a good idea from a description of the part how much it will cost for materials,however without seeing it he'll have no idea of the labour cost(the expensive part of the job).
Mick
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I didn't realize they were brass underneath. Quite good quality then.

As an aside, if re-chroming is prohibitively expensive, you could always remove the remaining chrome bits and polish up the brass, it might look rather good, certainly better than nothing and very distinctive.

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
wurlitzer
Minor Friendly

Post by wurlitzer »

I had the same problem,mine was painted with silver hammerite,I had a rough quote for rechroming £200,you may find it hard to get it back in,I was told it had to be fitted in the same time as the window rubber
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

As a last resort paint it satin black, it will then blend in with the window rubber.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Rechromed surrounds are thicker- the clips dont sit quite right, but you can fit these after the rubber and glass

sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

We use a firm in Hinkley to rechrome screen trims and other items for the club stocks and price was quite a bit less than £200. PM or email me and I'll get you the contact details.
Bryan Gostling
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
Coalmossian
Minor Fan

Post by Coalmossian »

P M sent
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

If it costs £200 to rechrome them, I wonder what it would cost to produce a batch of new trims.
[sig]3580[/sig]
peteatreat
Minor Friendly

Re: Split screen chrome surround, help. (Updated)

Post by peteatreat »

Hi again.
Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations. I have received my first estimate which has come in at £280-£340 + VAT, in addition I would have to post the item and probably the cost for return. A little too expensive for me!

The company suggested by two members has been contacted and I await their reply.

I will let you know.

Cheers
Pete
peteatreat
Minor Friendly

Post by peteatreat »

Hi
The 2nd quote has come in from the company recommended by two members. A much more attractive price of £90 plus postage, which I am estimating around £10 out and back. Turnaround times 4-5 weeks. I will be going ahead with it.
Thanks again for the help given.
Pete
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I'd be a bit wary of posting something like this, the cost is going to be irrelevant if they get trodden on and mangled.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

MarkyB wrote:I'd be a bit wary of posting something like this, the cost is going to be irrelevant if they get trodden on and mangled.
Good point although I have posted two screen trims with no problems.
Ideally a split screen trim should be posted in a well padded stout cardboard box and insured for their replacement cost. :)

tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Sandwich it between two pieces of thin ply.The highest and lowest quotes illustrate how it pays to shop around(and obscene profiteering).
peteatreat
Minor Friendly

Post by peteatreat »

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions and concerns regarding posting. Have sent today wrapped up well using both ply and cardboard via Royal Mail Special Delivery which worked out at £11 for next day and insured up to value of £500. I will update again when I get them back.
Cheers
Pete
peteatreat
Minor Friendly

Re: Split screen surround. Re-chroming results

Post by peteatreat »

Hi again
I have today received my original two piece screen surround and both clips back from being re chromed.
Wow! They are as new! I am delighted with the results. Total cost of £112 which included insured post there and back. If anyone wishes details of the company I used, please pm me and I will be happy to supply details.
Next tast is to refit them!
Cheers
Pete