Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Draining radiator

Post by James k »

Hi,
I want to drain the radiator on my Traveller since I have no idea if there's anti freeze in it and the water is pretty dirty. I've located the drain plug on the radiator but it seems very stiff. I suspect that it's seized and won't undo but I want to make sure that I'm turning it the right way! (maybe a stupid question). I assumed that I should be turning the screw clockwise when facing the car (as I thought that it would unscrew anti-clockwise in it's own position). Is this correct? I've also tried removing the hose from the radiator but that seems to be stuck as well :/ I've doused both in WD40 for the moment. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
James
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Re: Draining radiator

Post by alexmcguffie »

If your drain tap is like this than anti-clockwise will open it. DOn't force it though as its fitting is only soldered into the radiator. It may also be sludged up. Patience is the best way, for the tap and the hose....[frame]Image[/frame]
Glad to be back!
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Mine has just got a bolt rather than a tap like that.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

A boa constrictor strap might work on the hose to loosen it or you could try some thick rope, twisted tight.A small loop and twisted with a screwdriver, tourniquet style.
If you don't want to risk breaking the drain tap off, replacing the bottom hose might be a cheaper option ( compared to having the drain tap soldered back onto the radiator ).You could always try pouring ..very carefully, boiling water over the tap to expand the thread joint.Use thick gloves for the tap type or the spanner at arms length the metal will be hot.

If the hose won't shift and is old / starting to perish then remove the hose clip, pushing it out of the way and slice the hose
with a sharp knife.Do it on the section covering the metal outlet tube.With a blunt screwdriver you can lever it away.Clean up the stub outlet with sandpaper / emery paper or a small wire brush before putting the new hose on.
I would certainly back flush the radiator with a hosepipe before refilling with antifreeze.
Bob
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Disconnect both heater hoses and connect your hose pipe to it. Flush one way then the other till it runs clear. You will have a toasty heater all winter and a smug grin knowing you have clean bluecol running through your passages. Don't use the orange stuff that eats classic cars.
Good luck
John

Bertie.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't touch the drain tap ! It may rip out of the radiator... The hose WILL come off - you're just not trying hard enough... But the plan with the heater hoses will work fine.
ImageImage
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

bmcecosse wrote:Don't touch the drain tap ! It may rip out of the radiator... The hose WILL come off - you're just not trying hard enough... But the plan with the heater hoses will work fine.
I agree, as a last resort cut the bottom hose off with a Stanley knife and fit a new one. :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Absolutely - if it's that 'stuck on' it's unlikely to be in the first flush of youth......
ImageImage
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out when it stops raining here. With the heater hose method that was suggested, I take it I need to flush both the heater and the rest of the cooling system (since they won't be connected). Is this right or have I misunderstood something?

Thanks
James
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

With the heater valve open it will flush through the whole system. :D

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

You will need to leave one of the heater pipes connected for it to flush the whole engine, sorry if I've stated the obvious :)
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

I did my heater separately and managed to get full pressure from my hose pipe through in both directions. It is amazing what comes out after 50 years and helped me avoid 'upgrading' the heater.
John

Bertie.
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

These radiator hose removal tools make removing a stuck hose a lot easier:[frame]Image[/frame]
Talk slow, think fast!