Is this 1st/2nd selector fork fit for re-use?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Theo_NL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Is this 1st/2nd selector fork fit for re-use?

Post by Theo_NL »

lockupchap wrote:Also I don't seem to be able to add more than one pic per post, hence this note.
After uploading a picture, press the 'preview' button first, than continue editing and you can upload next picture. :)

http://morrisminortourer.blogspot.nl
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I know that the replacement bearings supplied these days for Mini gearboxes are not quite the same thickness as originals - and so shim(s) are supplied to make up the difference. I haven't heard this for Minor gearboxes...but possibly the same applies ?
ImageImage
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Talk slow, think fast!
lockupchap
Minor Friendly

Post by lockupchap »

Realised yesterday that I hadn't actually lost the detent springs and ball bearings. I mistakenly assumed that they fitted in the three holes inside the inner ring of first gear and were therefore missing, when in fact first gear comprises two rings, and the springs and ball bearings fit between the inner and outer rings.

I couldn't resist checking the springs to make sure they had reasonable compression - which they do - then re-assembled the whole caboodle.

This wasn't as difficult as I'd feared, using a broad cable tie to hold the balls in place, sliding the outer ring over the inner one up to the cable tie, then quickly whacking it into place after making sure the slots on both rings lined up.

Whilst browsing on Bull Motif's website I also noticed that new old stock third gears are available at £15 net, so bought one due to the synchro ring friction material being quite worn on mine and beginning to break up.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

3rd gear on the ribbed box doesn't really have 'syncro ring friction material'.... the syncro rings are separate... There is of course a taper seat for the ring to bind on - is that what you see ? It would be unusual for that to break up...
ImageImage
tim_jnv
Minor Friendly

Post by tim_jnv »

Is there any way of reasonably checking/ knowing the condition of a gear box with out striping it completely? I do believe in the if it isn't broke don't brake it!
It is off the car and we have never used it, the engine it was with is in pretty good condition - so if both had been running together what is likely to wear 1st and by how much (of course that wont account for human or environment abuse)?!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Remove the side cover and inspect with a good bright light!
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

I am finding this post really interesting as one day I would like to refurb a gearbox. What would make it better though is if there were some step by step dismantling pictures :)
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
lockupchap
Minor Friendly

Post by lockupchap »

It's now going back together. If there's one piece of feedback I'd give, it is that the front bearing needs to be left out until all three shafts are in place. It isn't a reversal of the dismantling sequence, where the bearing is removed from the bare casing after the shafts are out.

Spent more than 2 hours today unsuccessfully trying to put the third motion shaft in before realising this.