Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: vacuum advance advice

Post by panky »

Oops, thanks Roy I've edited my earlier mistake out.
Morrisminormo
Minor Fan

Post by Morrisminormo »

Disaster! Cut a long story short, ordered points and condenser to fit my 45d. Followed instructions meticulously and no spark. After a hour or two of trying this and that I may have gotten the wires wrong, so that's the end of the electronic module :wink: put my old 25d back in, instantly fires up. No more plug and play electronics for me. I love my points :D
Every day is a day closer to death, live for today for soon be forgotten :-(

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Precisely for these reasons I advised buying a complete new dizzy - fit and forget - provided the car is negative earth !!
ImageImage
Morrisminormo
Minor Fan

Post by Morrisminormo »

bmcecosse wrote:Precisely for these reasons I advised buying a complete new dizzy - fit and forget - provided the car is negative earth !!
Yes it's negative earth, and yes it was a complete dizzy with nothing but two wires coming out. I won't be wasting any more time and money on another module, they told me to lift up the magnet in there by 2mm, that when things got out of hand. Not for me.

Morrisminormo
Minor Fan

Post by Morrisminormo »

I was surprised bmc how easy the car starts with the timing advanced or retarded. Just set it to a good idle (the 25d that is) so when I get my points and condenser to fit my 45d it should take no time at all to set it up :x

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Was it not clear what to do with the two wires ??? Surely they just connect to the coil - correct way round of course ?? Send it back for a replacement ! It really should be (and many report it is) fit and forget. :-?
ImageImage
Morrisminormo
Minor Fan

Post by Morrisminormo »

Yes, they do just connect to the coil, there's a magnetic disc that fits under the rotor. Rarely these can be out of alignment so I was told, they wanted me to lift it up and try it again, and if it worked they would of sent me a shim to put under it. It still never worked but by then I accidentally touched the live wire, and it says if the polarity is wrong just once the module will be destroyed. But if it would of worked from the start without messing around with shims etc, then that wire would of never had been touched. Now my warranty is void. So I'm not risking another. Just points and condenser.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It should have worked straight out the box - I wouldn't be saying anything about live wires - just send it back and tell them to sort it out and return it when it IS working !
ImageImage