Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
meganwilkinson2008
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Tyers

Post by meganwilkinson2008 »

Hi can anyone give some advice.I purchased four new tyres last year from bull motif and at the same time had my wheels powder coated. when the garage fitted them thay said that the old tyres had inner tubes so thay used them on the new tyres.all has been great until today and I have had a valve fail.what I wanted to know is can I use the tyres without tubes and if not where can I gat a new one. Many thanks.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Re: Tyers

Post by aupickup »

basically yes you can i have never had a tube fitted in 20 years of moggy ownership
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
You are better off without them!
Most tyres you will get are 'tubeless' and will not be suitable for inner tubes anyway, one because the rough inside of the tyre will eventually wear through the inner tube causing a puncture and two because an inner tube mixed with tubeless tyres will cause vibration even at moderate speeds.
I have experienced both.
Vibration on the Minor until I got rid of the inner tubes.
Flat tyres on the MG, because the last owner put them back into the tubeless tyres (wrong tyre size as well - rubbed against wheel arch! :x ) he fitted.
Oddly they survived the long drive back from Dumfries, it was on the journey to Bridgnorth in Shropshire to pick up a nicer set of replacement wheels that they went flat. One went on the way there, necessitating the purchase of an extra wheel he (luckily for me) had, so I had a spare for the return journey.
And one one on the way back............... :evil: :roll:
Bl**dy inconvenient, I must say!................
The MGB also now runs new (correct size) 'tubeless'...................
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

Both my Morris and MG have tubes fitted and the MG I have done nearly 47000 miles in and only one puncture and that was due to faulty tube and my Morris has been alright as well.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Most modern tyres are designed to be tubeless, so the inner surface is not as smooth as for a tubed tyre, which can lead to increased wear. Some tyre places will tell you that you cannot fit a tubeless tyre to a tubed rim; which leaves a bit of a conumdrum. The good news is that at least half the Minors on the road have been running tubeless tyres on the original rims for the past thirty years, with no sign of nay problem, so just forget the inner tube. If you really want one, then most of the normal parts suppliers will gladly sell you one.
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Looks like the OP started two identical threads!
Can any Moderator amalgamate them?
Ta, George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Agree - very wrong to use the tubes. Get rid of them.
ImageImage
meganwilkinson2008
Minor Fan

Post by meganwilkinson2008 »

Hi guys many thanks for all the help I have had them removed today,the one was shot anyway all OK at the moment and took the chance to run round with the grease gun while they were off. Can't thank this site enough for all the help I've had with my moggy much appreciated.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I am keeping my tubes and has not increased the wear on the tyres . If I get a puncture I can get the tube replaced which is cheaper than having the tyre repaired or a new one unless the tyre is dangerous of coarse.

drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

If you read the Morris manual section about wheels and tyres it says you can fit tubless tyres no problem but if the tyre goes down slowly then you may have to test for air leaking around the rivet heads and if it does then peen the rivet with a hammer to seal it.

A note on putting tubes into tubeless tyres, if you get a nail in a tubeless tyre it will not deflate quickly because the nail keeps the hole plugged. This will get you home or to a safe place. HOWEVER a nail in a tubeless tyre with a tube fitted will deflate very quickly! Dangerously so. Because the nail bursts the tube like a balloon and the air is lost very quickly through the valve hole in the rim as a tube valve stem is not a seal on the rim like a tubeless valve is.

Fitting tubes into tyres marked "tubeless" is considered dangerous practice.