Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Hillclimb1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Sticker number plate?

Post by Hillclimb1 »

Hello all I'm just wondering where the law stands against having a sticker number plate like this morris minor at the front, well, numbers and letters I guess, but is it illegal or should I be ok having similar?
Thanks[frame]Image[/frame]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Sticker number plate?

Post by philthehill »

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I understand they must be on a FLAT surface and presented 'square' to the front and rear of the car......
ImageImage
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

So that rules out all the E types and other sportscars etc that use them then! If they had to be flat and square you'd just use a normal number plate... I suspect that basically they are not legal, especially with the recent clampdown on authorised numberplate suppliers. However you'd be very unlucky to get pulled for one and even if you did it'd just be a telling off and make sure you get a proper one fitted etc etc.
Not sure who would actually supply one now the days of racks of letters in your local motor spares shop have ended, but I'd expect a vynil sign maker would do them very cheaply.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My Uncle had an Austin Seven Swallow and the rear number plate on that was stuck on the back and always passed the MOT and never had any problems.

Hillclimb1
Minor Friendly

Post by Hillclimb1 »

Last edited by Hillclimb1 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The number plates attached to cars in the original picture had black backgrounds -from your picture you do not appear to have a black background or the correct lettering/size. Did you not check the link to number plate specification I gave above?
I have to say that your number plate (sic) does not even try to comply with the requirements so do not be surprised if you get stopped for not having a number plate that conforms to the required specification..
As regards numbers on the doors - I was always advised to remove them before exiting a motor sport venue as the authorities take a dim view of them being in place unless you are on a recognised and authorised road rally.
Your insurance company may take a dim view also.
Phil

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above - expect to be 'pulled' - and then they will go over your car with a fine tooth comb to see what else they can find wrong. And yes - numbers on doors when the event is over is extremely gauche.... And just another reason to attract the eyes of the Law.... :cry: Especially when it's very obvious you haven't been on an 'event' anyway! I really don't get what you are trying to do here - messing up your car with all that rubbish..... ???
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

let us know when it fails the mot :-? because it WILL.
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

Classy
Hillclimb1
Minor Friendly

Post by Hillclimb1 »

Bmc, regardless whether you like it or not, stop being so disrespectful, I like my car how it is and it is not 'rubbish'..

Edited my moderator to remove personal comments as per T&Cs
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Hillclimb1 wrote:Bmc, regardless whether you like it or not, stop being so disrespectful, I like my car how it is and it is not 'rubbish'..
As it is your car you can have it however you like. However you have asked for opinions and advice that is what you have been given whether you take notice of those opinions and that advice is up to you but do not complain when you get pulled over by the authorities or your car fails its MOT.
If you are trying to recreate a period rally Morris Minor this is how a real period Morris Minor engaged in rallying should look and is the famous Minor used in international rallying by Pat Moss Reg No: NMO933 nicknamed Granny :D. Note that Granny does not have a stick on number plate just a standard one (or headlamp peaks)
The picture is taken from Paul Skilleter's book The Worlds Supreme Small Car - Morris Minor.[frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by philthehill on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hillclimb1
Minor Friendly

Post by Hillclimb1 »

That's more like it :) thanks will look at that now :)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/I107-Corgi-Mo ... 35ee76cb14

I have one of the above in my model car display cabinet and it does look the part.

Hillclimb1
Minor Friendly

Post by Hillclimb1 »

Yes looks fantastic love it! :)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Another "period" one. You'd have to remember to cut the hole for the starting handle :wink:[frame]Image[/frame]
Hillclimb1
Minor Friendly

Post by Hillclimb1 »

Very nice :)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I've reported your post with the personal comment against me 'hillclimb'. The forum should never become personal. And of course - you are now on my 'naughty step' so I won't be troubled by your posts in future. Pity really - since you are obviously needing all the advice you can get!
ImageImage
Hillclimb1
Minor Friendly

Post by Hillclimb1 »

Fine by me pal ;)