Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
warb21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

5-speed gearbox

Post by warb21 »

If I was to be getting a 5 speed gearbox - for a 1098 engine - what are the pros and cons of a Toyota vs Ford? E.g. quality, reliability, the noise/whine each one makes etc.

I'd be paying a professional to do it so I don't need fitting advice but if one of them is easier to fit than the other, might that save me labour costs?

I remember once driving a 5 speed conversion and there was less legroom near the clutch owing to a larger housing for the box. Is that the case on all 5 speed conversions?

Thanks for any tips!
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 5-speed gearbox

Post by SteveClem »

I've got Ford boxes in both of my Minors, one with a1098. They are both spot on.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I've fitted both. Ford one far superior. There will always be slightly less foor room next to the clutch, but again the Ford box seems better than the Toyota in that respect. I recall having numerous problems with clutch adjustment for the Toyota box, no such issues with the Ford.
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

I have a Ford box too, and its a worthwhile upgrade and I think the Toyota boxes are very hard to get hold of now so for long term spares Ford would be the recommended route for sure :D
Never driven with a Toyota box, but the Ford one makes it a totally different car in a good way!
warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

thanks for the replies. Helpful.
Is there any way of having the Ford gearbox but retaining the traditional MM gear stick?
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

Good Luck trying to find a RWD Celica or Starlet gearbox from the early 80s. And if you find one it would be 3 times the price of a Ford unit.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

warb21 wrote:thanks for the replies. Helpful.
Is there any way of having the Ford gearbox but retaining the traditional MM gear stick?
The Ford gearstick is chunkier,but I found that the original MM gearknob is easily adapted to fit and keep the right look. Only thing being that 'reverse' is not in the position indicated on the knob!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you make your own gearbox cover to accommodate the Ford gearbox you will have plenty of room.
The cover in the photos below has the bare minimum of clearance for the gearbox and the working clearance between the clutch pedal and gearbox cover is more than adequate.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

There is no need to worry about making the Ford gear lever look like the Minor one as a nice wooden gear knob with the Morris badge attached (see photo below) does not look out of place on a Ford gear lever. :D[frame]Image[/frame]

BAS587
Minor Friendly

Post by BAS587 »

Just a query asking what the (red pipes) are?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

With a standard 1098 engine - do let us know how often you use that 5th gear! :roll:
ImageImage
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

BAS587 wrote:Just a query asking what the (red pipes) are?
Central heating?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

SteveClem wrote:
BAS587 wrote:Just a query asking what the (red pipes) are?
Central heating?
Not far off - they are the pipes to the radiator which is under the boot floor.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Fabulous!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

With a standard 1098 engine - do let us know how often you use that 5th gear! :roll:
It will be quite simple for him. A good 1098 will pull with the Ford 5th on level ground and down hill, and even up slight inclines if you hit them at a good speed. You will, of course, have to change down on steep or long inclines. It depends on the terrain - quite flat round here. The real advantage is on motorways when 5th can be used like an overdrive to get quieter cruising. The Ford box does give other advantages - strength and full synchromesh - double de-clutch isn't taught much these days.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Doesn't the weight of the gearbox slow the car down? :D

warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

Thanks for the replies, photos and comments. I commute on motorways so I'm certain I'll use 5th. I'm used to having 6!
warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

PS 26 years ago I took my driving test in my parents' Traveller, in which I'd been learning. I rather earnestly warned the examiner, a rather dour and droll fellow, that - should it be necessary - I couldn't easily switch from 2nd to 1st in a hurry. He responded, "ahhh well, its all part of the test I'm afraid". I knew it wasn't supposed to be.

During the test he got me to slow down in 2nd, then change to 1st. He clearly wanted to see if youngsters of the time still knew how to double de-clutch. At the end of the test he said in the most joyless tone I've ever heard, "I'm please to say you've passed".
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Better than sorry sir you have not met the requirements of the driving test for a pass :cry: I had that twice